The VR experience

Toll / Oracle / Knower of Things:
My WW1 flight sim pit(?) is ALMOST ready for prime time. THat being said, I decided to forgo the giant real estate investment of having 3 big monitors spread across my multi-purpose space and opted for an Oculus Quest. Can you introduce me to a mentor/Charon type to guide me thru getting up and running in Flying Circus with said Oculus? thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Ooohā€¦ Got pics?

Flying Circus is the perfect VR flightsim!
However, Iā€™ve never used the Quest. I did use the Oculus Rift S and CV1, prior to that. Since FC and IL-2 Great Battles is using the Steam VR API, I found that using Open Composite improved the experience significantly.
I take it that you use an Oculus Link cable, for the Quest?

@Sporg, didnā€™t you use the Quest in IL-2?

1 Like

iirc @Clutch , @Elby and also @HiFlyer here are Quest riders

2 Likes

@Troll
My friendā€¦ Now thats how you tell a story!!! Great writing!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never had spatial disorientation in the real world, only read about it (Iā€™ve never piloted IMC). Never had a problem with TrackIR, doing all the things you can do in or near clouds in DCS and CloD.

The other week I was #2 on the wingtip of my buddy as we were descending through a cloud in DCS. Nice close formation, no trouble seeing him as we enter the cloud. He seemed to rise a bit, I corrected to stay on the wing and BAM! Full ā€œyouā€™re corkscrewing right and diving for the waterā€ spatial d. It was so bad I was about to fall out of the formation ā€¦ I was saved by us busting out of the bottom of the cloud.

Weā€™d never even changed course or descent rate. All the movement I thought my lead was doing, I was inducing in my own plane due to the lack of visual cues (I was padlocked on lead the whole time). It was a real wakeup call for me.

VR is very cool.

7 Likes

hereā€™s a couple pre-release pics. frame holding the joystick is ā€˜remove before flightā€™.

14 Likes

Oh myā€¦ That is ā€¦

I have no words. Yes VR! Get a G2 for that, you want to see the wires between your wings, and the other headsets will not give you that. Goggles befit the dawn of flight-era very well, so FoV is not an issue :wink:

1 Like

Yup, I ride a Quest 2. EXCELLENTLY built VR headset but unfortunately the PC ā€œLinkā€ cable has been inoperable for some months now. I wish it worked so I could fly my beloved Condor 2 sailplane simulator but no go. Iā€™ve had lengthy discussions with the support people but unfortunately I found a way to screw up my USB subsystem and I donā€™t want to reinstall Windows to do it again LOL!

Quest 2 is still a fun standalone set. Cordless ā€¦ no PC necessary.

I use my G2 for PC stuff.

1 Like

The G2 doesnā€™t work with Condor?

Spatial D. Iā€™ve had it in TIR and I get it now with VR. At times I feel disoriented after a good session of VR. But I love it cos Iā€™m ā€œthat guyā€. The funniest was when I jumped off the pc and ran into a wall face first. Lucky I was not going too fast.

2 Likes

That podcast I linked to above mentioned something the US Army is/was experimenting with.

Iā€™ll say about 2/3 way into it: they put a chart on the wall next to/near the sim and when the young aviator unplugged they were to look at/stare/focus on that for a minute or so. Thatā€™s how I took it anyway. Guess itā€™s suppose to re-cage your eyes/brain after a VR session.

Thatā€™s a beautiful Camel pit!
Excellent work!
Planning on a throttle to go with it?

Yep Iā€™m a Quest 2 rider. I use the Anker USB-A to -C cable plugged into a powered USB3.0 hub. Mostly rock solid for me except for some looseness in the -C connector on the headset. If I even lightly touch the cable near the C port I get disconnected. Probably from all the downward force of my bird, who likes to perch right on the bend of the cable on my headset when Iā€™m trying to fly.

1 Like

Heā€™s checking yur six.

1 Like

That or singing along to Merlins.

1 Like

If I go the throttle route, I will pick up one of Willā€™s at VrSimPits. No reason reinventing the wheelā€¦

2 Likes

Not without shoehorning it in via steamVR and ReVive, and then Anti-aliasing doesnā€™t work. This is why I havenā€™t been flying Condor 2 this past 12 months. Supposedly, they have put OpenXR on their ā€˜to-doā€™ list but made it clear that VR users were a small section of the Condor customer base, and therefore it wasnā€™t a high priorityā€¦

2 Likes

Well that sux!

1 Like

here is the stick rigging. After many convoluted spring-based solutions - ā€˜engineeredā€™, tried and rejected - for re-centering the stick, I settled on the lowly bungee cord web. working good, so far. Iā€™m sure at some point, the Bungee Web will lose some of its sproing and will need replaced, but one of the benefits of going full-on Hobo rig is - its a cheap fix.

6 Likes

A person after my own heart there! I think itā€™sā€¦beautiful :bowing_man:

3 Likes