Things that are no more

…or at the very least are darn hard to find.

Sugar coated gum drops and spice drops used to be as ubiquitous as Snickers bars in every candy display. I have no clue when that changed but I went to 7 stores yesterday and found that none of them carry that candy any longer. I figured it had to be a fluke so I went online and looked for them and see that now they are only sold as a specialty candy for the most part and have gone bonkers in price. Of course when you have a 78 year old Mom looking to relive her youth through candy you WILL go online and pay that price.

What is something you remember fondly that used to be sold just about everywhere that is darn hard to find or just gone now?

Wheels

7 Likes

This one I loved from when I was a kid …:sob:

3 Likes

Spare tires in the trunk…

…and people that know how to use them.

New cars here rarely seem to come with a spare.

3 Likes

Public phone booths.

You still see them in small country towns (i.e. population = a few hundred or less), but anything bigger - forget it.

5 Likes

Haha, good one! I had to explain to my 5-year-old son what a phone booth was. He saw the skeletal remains of one in a city recently and thought it was a funny porta-potty.

Of course, he’s also asked why his grandparent’s phone has a wire… :rofl:

5 Likes

Wait till you have to explain the origin of the sentence… “Pick up/hang up” the phone…

4 Likes

To be truly authentic they have to have recently been on fire :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Or maybe that’s just rural Queensland :joy:

1 Like

You can still find them, but they’ve fallen out of favor. I really miss reading a newspaper. Not only was it connection to your city or local community, but created a physical and metaphorical barrier between oneself and the family. Traditionally, it stated, “Dad is engaged in serious and important dad things, so don’t interrupt him unless your business is critical to the health of the family.”

4 Likes

Still everywhere in UK

2 Likes

most of our local ones are now Defibrillator stations

4 Likes

same here, no phones just defibs

3 Likes

That’s a good one too.

Reading the news on your phone has nowhere near the same aura, and it takes away your ability to nag your kiddos about always being on their phones…

1 Like

I read my morning paper on a tablet. Still get the curated selection, long read analysis and comics I’d get with a traditional paper. But less wrestling actual paper to read it and less dead trees.

2 Likes

I guess that I need a bigger tablet.

1 Like

I’ve gone back to reading print. The paper doesn’t try to distract me every 30 secs.

2 Likes

easy, just quit reading news, like I did … I dont even watch them, nor listen to them

… less dead brain cells :wink:

2 Likes