Thinking about upgrading my system

A couple of years ago I purchased my current system, and overall it has been great.

I7 9800X, 32Gb RAM, 2080 Ti . It runs all the games and sims I have thrown at it very nicely in 2D, but I’m not getting the silky smooth performance with in sims that I’m hearing others are getting with high settings. VR Flightsimguy on YouTube for example waxes lyrical about what an amazing experience he has in VR with the G2 and X-Plane 11. I’m just not seeing that unless my settings are cranked way down. I’m thinking my problem is most likely my CPU. The CPU seems to be key in a lot of sims and 5+ GHz would probably make all the difference.

So, is a motherboard and CPU upgrade a straightforward thing to do? Will it be plug and play without having to reinstall Windows etc? What processor/motherboard combination would you guys recommend right now?

I’ll most likely be waiting until the new year before I do anything, am I thinking along the right lines here?

You will need to re-activate Windows. And depending on what license you now have, that can result in 150 seashells extra expense. In the worst case.

I’m looking at this same thing. Same situation basically. Breakout the screwdriver or just flat out order a whole new box. I need a new PSU too though. Probably a new/better cooler too. New memory also I’d imagine. Seems it’s either

• New pre-built
  • Start sourcing it all ala carte and hopefully get it right and not break anything. I’ve done this before but that was a LONG time ago (think 80286 days).

The single-thread performance crown sits on AMDs head right now. A 5000 series CPUs paired with a x570 motherboard will work and not give you any trouble just for being new. Because it‘s not new.

So you can pick a 5600x, 5800x or 5900x CPU based on your budget. None of them are a bad pick for games.

What do you think of an I9 10900K overclocked (claims it’ll get to 5.0+ ghz).

I’m not married to Intel (had AMD’s years ago) - but I am married to someone that works there! Have to cover up the stickers if I go AMD :thinking:

2 Likes

I‘m sure the CPU is nice but I am done overclocking anything. It‘s a waste of time and money.

Get good cooling and enjoy. Time is worth more than money for most people here, I figured.

1 Like

Yeah, initially it made no sense to me. Is confusing, which I’m sure is the point (marketing). My existing unit (I7 6700k) has been ‘over clocked’ since I unboxed it (from 3.something to 4.4). So it’s a 4.4 Ghz I7 6700.

That was 5 years ago and I think overclocking made more sense back then. Today? Meh.

IME, you can overclock CPU to a stability point. For instance I had read that owners had overclocked the i7 8700 native 3.7 GHz to over 5GHz, which I did successfully. The only problem was that X-Plane 11 didn’t like it, so backed it down to 4.8 and haven’t had any issues for 2 years. So, maybe take the max reported O/C for a CPU, then back it down 25% for stability.

But wouldn’t bumping the aforementioned I9K from it’s 3.9 to 5.0+ see a good bump in performance? I’m talking flight sims, especially DCS as it seems to need higher clock speeds over n-Cores? I’m really ignorant here.

EDIT: Re; my comment about overclocking confusion - seems ‘they’ almost cap the speed to promote the idea of overclocking, generating hype and another market. Or something like that.

Under Windows 10 Pro, you can call MS Activations and they will transfer it for you if it fails to reactivate. You just have to get running on the new board first, but they seem happy to help. I have also done a transfer where it automatically reactivated (I sign in with my MS account so the licenses are tied to it making activation a bit easier).

Yeah, I think a lot of games depend on single core performance. I read recently that IL-2 Great Battles series does.

Maybe, but I like to think that the default clock speed is set to give reliability in a worst case scenario. For instance, the CPU is being used in a business desktop that is on 24/7, in a warm environment, say the ticket counter at the airport in St. Croix, USVI, and has only a CPU fan as a cooler.

Problem may be related to you having the HEDT series (X299 platform) - those are designed to support way more PCIe lanes, storage etc. They aren’t as quick on bus latency if I recall correctly. The 9800X also scores worse by a small but appreciable margin vs. the 9900K on the regular consumer stream (with chipsets up to the Z390).

If you aren’t using all those extra PCIe lanes or SATA ports, the HEDT stuff doesn’t pay back it’s extra price.

I’m going with a new pre-built HP Omen. It’s cheaper than I can build it.

@PaulRix your CPU is actually not that bad. I‘m thinking maybe a GPU might be the better upgrade.

You could check frametimes using fpsVR to prove that theory wrong or right.

Thanks for all the info, advice and conversation guys. @Poneybirds, I just picked up fpsVR, so I will do some digging and report back.

I found it informative. And I’m maxing out with anything beyond simple scenarios. Did help to tweak settings for sure; things that would bump my VRam usage down made a diff (fpsVR shows VRam in use).

I see your point but those uses case don’t need much (a 10 yo setup is likely way more than enough); worst case to me is the hurt most sims put on the system. But, yeah, I get that.

1 Like

Slowly narrowing it down. Trying to come in under $3000 (US). The mobo and PSU should allow for a bump in memory later if needed, and an over-powered GPU when you can ever buy one !

First go:
CPU: I9 10900K (up to 5.3 ghz)

MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z490 ATX

VCard: 3080, 10Gb. Waiting for previous generation “sales” has proven to be an error, based on my current rig. They claim they have them in stock. Remains to be seen how true this is, or how long they will stall me when they discover their bin is empty.

RAM: 32Gb 3200Mhz Duel Channel
STORAGE: 1Tb M.2 NvMe (I have SSD’s and disks coming out my ears; plan to just move one or two over).

PSU: 80+ gold 1000 freaking watts ! That ought-ta do it.

This is fun, sort of.

1 Like

Using fpsVR I’m getting the following with the headset at 60Hz, resolution reduced to about what the Rift S would be with 1.5x Pixel Density and medium settings…

I guess this confirms that the CPU is the bottleneck. :thinking:

Actually, this is a more typical reading, the one above is a bit worse than I was seeing most of the time.
Screenshot_141