ThirdWire Releases SF2 Complete Version

It’s everything ThirdWire ever made for SF2. Every game, every expansion pack, every DLC, the entire series in one install for $100. Given how much all of it costs separately, this is not a bad deal.

However, I doubt any bug fixing has taken place. Pretty sure most of the game still suffers from some game-breaking bugs that were never repaired. The stock enemy carrier groups don’t work, the AI don’t know how to use external countermeasure pods, you can’t fly campaign missions at night, enemy active radar homing missiles give no warning on the RWR, the list goes on.

However, if you want sim-lite and you’re willing to keep your scenario before about 1992, it isn’t terrible. It isn’t great, either.

4 Likes

…and don’t expect to run it on Windows 10…

What is ThirdWire smokin?

I hate to sound negative, because I’ve definitely had good times in the SF series, but $100 seems outrageous, especially since it requires you to run an OS that will no longer be supported after Q1. Wait, you can upgrade to Vista, or keep a Win7 VM locked and loaded? Only for the desperately nostalgic, IMHO. $20, maybe But $100?

On the other hand, you could d/l free DCS, buy the Hornet or Tomcat, and have a few bucks left over for another module.

4 Likes

Hmm…mmm…I’m torn. I wouldn’t mind picking up an all-in-one package, but I know I’d end up modding the heck out of the install anyway…so I dunno. Interesting that he is putting it out there though.

1 Like

I thought y’all were talking about the more commonly accepted usage of SF2, Street Fighter 2. Was super confused for a bit.

2 Likes

That was my thinking. Six years of radio silence and then this. I think the last DLCs were released in 2013, anyway. I don’t think this is any runup to something new. He did a port of his mobile game to the PC and it was largely panned by the community, he’s repeatedly stated his preference to work with mobile gaming over PC game development, and he’s burned a lot of bridges with the community that gave him a lot of money over the years.

I doubt he’s planning on returning to PC game development, I’m pretty sure this is a cash grab, one more attempt to make money off of his older work. It can’t hurt him, he’s digital distribution, so he’s out nothing.

2 Likes

I know…all that is so depressing. MP and VR (I know the second isn’t high on your list Chuck…:wink: ) with this new package would really be killer. I’d love fly the A-6 with a bunch of you over Vietnam in MP…what a hoot that would be.

2 Likes

The passion runs high in this one.

It never goes away, no matter how hard he might try.

Still, $100 is a total nonstarter for such an old sim. Unless… do we see support on the horizon?

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. I’d love to think it’s a sign of something going on in the background or something. But probably just a cash grab.

At the very least, though, you’d think he’d fix some of the glaring, game breaking bugs and make it Win10 compatible. Especially if he’s charging $100! Otherwise I would expect it to be priced more closely to the stuff on GOG.com

1 Like

This is a big obstacle. Chip’s right. Unless the buyer plans to keep a Win7 machine around, there’s not many reasons to do this. As the hardware chase grinds on, fewer and fewer configurations will run the game. nVidia users are having to downgrade visual effects because the latest drivers crash the game. AMD users are unaffected, but we’re the minority, most PC gamers use nVidia.

I don’t know. I already have all the 3W products I’d ever want and I don’t even have the game installed at the moment.

1 Like

It’s okay. Getting old is hell. It’s not for sissies.

3 Likes

Tough sell at $100. I feel ~$60 is more fair, as while it is a lot of content, it’s a lot of very dated content with questionable support for windows 10, no official support for VR, as as PFunk mentioned quite a lot of bugs that still haven’t been touched. To wit, the last update/patch was released 6 years ago…

And yet, TK has been happy to pump out games for iOS and Android the whole time.

This is nothing more than a lazy cash grab.

1 Like

Guile confirmed as the pilot model for DCS: Viper.

5 Likes

:laughing:

4 Likes

$100 for an old sim that is effectively dead. That’s a big NOPE from me. SF2 should be in the bargain bucket at this point.

5 Likes

SF2 with full W10 compatibility, some major bugs fixed, and all the content for $60, I’d have already bought it. $100 and it’s on me to get it working on a legacy system, yeah not so much.

5 Likes

This is it. This the end of the discussion.

2 Likes

I hate to say it… I’ll Pass

2 Likes

Now if he’d update it to dx12, vr, id pay double what he’s asking. Gladly.

The bundle price is around 24% of buying everything individually so maybe that is a bargain to TK considering the other prices seem to be the same.

And I expect they will stay the same price for a long time - and the chances of updating the engine to DX11+ and redoing the pits for VR is about zero on the face of it.

I don’t agree with the above - the game was only pre 1983 - it was never a modern era game everything else was added with mods - the cold war era was the attraction for most I expect .

TK is still amazing considering he did the game design by himself with max burst capacity of 2 other guys during a major dev period yet it still includes a lot of unique features that the other sims don’t have…or may never have…thus there has never been a replacement for it.

1 Like

Don’t want to sound snarky or abusive- I bought quite some of the SF series games back in the day- but which ones are these features you talk about?

1 Like