Thrustmaster 1996 vintage Top Gun Joystick

I caught this old gem at an online auction site.
It’s a representative of flightsim gear that I wanted, but couldn’t afford, back in the days.
This stick seems to be in great shape! The gimbal feels nice and tight.
It has the old D sub 15 pin connector, which we stopped using ages ago, so I can’t hook it up and test it. Doesn’t matter though as this will be a small winter project where I will upgrade the stick with magnetic angle sensors and USB. Maybe a new 3D printed gimbal and try to incorporate the Thrustmaster style stick grip connector too…

In the meantime, enjoy these pics :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Much like the B8 grip from the F-4 and Huey. Cool find!!
Can you not find an adapter to convert the 15 pin to an USB for testing? Or not even compatible?

Found this too

2 Likes

I guess that would be fun to just see if it works, but I don’t think I have an adapter. I know I did, years ago, but I should’ve spotted it when we packed up for moving.
I will update it with modern sensors and electronics anyway…

Cool find! :+1:

2 Likes

have not used it but this might work:

2 Likes

Yeah, probably, but I’m still going to upgrade the stick with new sensors anyway.

1 Like

I had an old Logitech Extreme 3D up until just a couple of years ago that came with a gameport-USB adapter that let me use it for about 20 years.
The pots just wore out and I was able to use my X56 instead for space stuff so I just dumped it.

That adapter, though, only ever seemed to work with the 3D. I had a couple of other old gameport things around 10 years ago I tried to use with it and none of them were recognized.

2 Likes

That is such a Super Cool Nostalgic Find!! I love the simplicity of the Design…very 80’s

1 Like

One would think that an adapter that converts one standard to another, would be universal… Strange.

1 Like

It is, isn’t it!
From when Thrustmaster became the flightcontroller gold standard…
I was still on my Amiga 500, when Thrustmaster started up, in 1990.
I had started to experiment with analogue joysticks for the Amiga, which was PC joysticks with a DIY adapter. Only a few flightsims supported this standard and Flight of the Intruder was one of them. But the TM sticks were way out of reach for me, as a student and because of having to import them with additional taxes and fees.

Here’s a great and informative stick modernization, for inspiration.

3 Likes

nice find!

I have here Suncom Talon F15 lying around somewhere. wanted to ‘modernize’ it long time ago but after I realized* that the stick grip isnt 1:1 replica of the real thing I wasnt that much interested anymore :slight_smile:

/* it isnt that much comfortable what made me curious as ‘how could this happen that real F15 grip is that nonergonomic’. after some googling realized the differences in proportions.

2 Likes

I had the Talon too! And the dual throttle. Gave them away to a guy on the SHQ forum, many years ago. That HOTAS was a breath of fresh air and one of very few real lookalike sticks, besides TM. I think their dual throttle was the first one on the commercial market, too…?

Looks familiar.

Mine was a gift and came in worse shape. Some button caps are missing.

It also came with another veteran:

2 Likes

That’s a CH stick, right?

Yes. But thats all I know about it. I plan to build a retro PC with a game port and see if it still works.

3 Likes