Thrustmaster F/A-18C Stick Speculation Thread

As far as I know the real stick is made out of resin. I remember reading somewhere that this one is made out of high quality molded plastic.

2 Likes

:open_mouth: Didn’t know! Thanks. :slight_smile:

The one modern Fighter HOTAS I know is made of metal.

to me it looks like 3d printed

As long as I can open it up and rip out the TM adapter for a VKB one, it could be made out of recycled paper for all I care :smiley:

1 Like

I am also interested in the ergonomics. I dont have experience with any real US fighter grips but was disapointed with the F15 Talon joystick grip. I think Talon is not 1:1 replica, it is bit smaller, and I think that could be the problem.

Can you guys tell, from yor experience, which US grip is the best ergonomics wise?

Eurofighter Typhoo… Oh wait, US grip? Ah, then I don’t know.
But still, the Typhoon stick is a masterful work of the finest art- take my word for it.

The stick looks very nice. Would also be an option for me to mount on my T-50 base. But I too wonder about the ergonomics and utility. The T-50 grips might be nowhere near as cool as this, but it is actually a very utilitarian design that works well for many aircraft. The T-50 has a very ergonomic thumb-rest, with a smooth, non-intrusive button that works great for push-to-talk. I am not sure how fun resting your thumb on the hat on the Hornet stick will be.

It seems that a Hornet throttle is not on the table though. That is actually something which would have greatly interested me. I use the WH throttle which is a good design with some very nice features. But it also has some annoying shortcomings that could be improved: Unergonomic grips (I constantly have sore fingers from all those pointy corners), awful slew-hat, no radar elevation rotary, many of the (very nice) switches are actually not usable in sims without setting up profiles in external programs (which I hate).

1 Like

Blah blah blah hotas this hotas that. Come on now. The real question here, is will they release a Hornet themed headset *

0_o

Anyway, Wonder how close this is to release if Wags is openly posting about it. The hardware market seems to keep quiet right up until close to the release date (less sales of the current product lag for too long, as customers wait for the newer model to be released). I doubt they’d wait till a full hornet release, as a 100% feature complete hornet could be years out still. Plus, you can’t just up and “launch” hardware whenever your want, there’s all sorts of logistics to work out with suppliers and retailers. I’d think he’d be under some sort of NDA for the protoype, so this might be some sly pre-launch gorilla marketing. It’s working :smiley:

That said, there’s precedent set with their racing wheels to release:
-stand alone base
-A SKU inclusive of a wheel
-Add on wheels that are not generally bundled with a base, and only available separately.
-down the road they’ll generally start to bundle newly released wheels with bases to shake things up a bit, but wheels tend to launch as add-ons only.

And frankly, it makes more sense to own the F-16/A-10 style stick first, as it’s more versatile in terms of buttons. You can find a home for everything on the bug on the A-10 stick, you can’t find a home for everything on the A-10 on a hornet stick. That said, I’ll totally drop cash on a pre-order myself :slight_smile:

*actually, an aviation themed headset with integrated trackIR support would be pretty cool. I’d buy that.

1 Like

I suspect we will see the stick at E3; however, TM have been showing off their racing stuff on IG. In a post I saw somewhere they hinted at some new stuff at E3, so I’m hoping Hornet stick.

–T

1 Like
2 Likes

so, not that I called it with my headset comment above…

But I totes called it:
https://m.facebook.com/hashtag/summerofflight?refid=52&__tn__=%2Cg

Also, wondering why the hornet stick was left out of the press release about their “Summer of flight” marketing campaign:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/node/8192

Because it’s vaporware until I see it either on Amazon Prime or @Panther flying it in a YouTube video :smile:

1 Like

Someone say hornet stick??

4 Likes

well that was fast. Have they mentioned anything about being sold separately from the base? blink twice if they’ve mentioned a throttle

1 Like

Nice Panther. Look at those pedals photo-bombing that Hornet stick selfie!

1 Like

The stick add on isn’t part of the E3 announcement. We are using it but that’s about it. No further information at this time. The focal point is the TPR and the headsets.

3 Likes

Nice! I thought I heard your voice in the background of Jabbers’s test flight video.

1 Like

Yeah I was background noise lol. Jabbers didn’t need much instruction. Haha

1 Like

Jabbers E3 Thrustmaster Product Impressions: