Tom Clancy giving a lecture on the Hunt for Red October!

Best thing on the internet today!
Watch it!

I should add that Clancy gets a bit political in there. It’s about the 80’s, so I think we can deal with it. If you think it’s too much, flag the post and I’ll take it down.

12 Likes

That was delightful.

1 Like

I’d forgotten about his friendship with Larry Bond. I also didn’t know how funny Clancy could be. Great stuff!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. As someone who grew up in world narrated by Clancy, it’s been strange not having his voice around to make a bit of sense of things, fictional or otherwise. I’ve often wondered what he’d make of our late unpleasantness.

2 Likes

I love the fact that his prime source of information was a computer game.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but initially it was a strategy miniatures game, wasn’t it? The computer version came out a little later.

I’ve only known it as a computer game. Was there another version?

I thought it was a tabletop strategy game (perhaps miniatures, but not required, in my head I vaguely remembered cardboard cutouts) as well. Is this a case of Mandela Effect?

Good memory you two. Maybe something like this? The Wikipedia LB page has a bit about it, circa 1980, which would be a few years before the IBM PC dropped. The computer game was first published in '89, so 9 years after the original miniatures Harpoon.

Yeah, Harpoon was a boardgame, back then. I’ve only played the computerized version too.

Another nice one I watched today … quite relevant to our latest unpleasantness …

I like how Clancy was contacting a friend of his in the FBI (Dallas) and the FBI guy’s boss said, “Tom Clancy is a spuuunge. (Texas accent) He’s gunna remember everything you say. He’s a spuuunge.” :smiley:

Again, this post is probably highly political so please feel free to mark it as inappropriate. I just find Clancy to be super entertaining. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

LOL! It just showed up in my YouTube feed after dinner. :slight_smile:

Yes, OTOH Clancy seems to recognize all angles and considers both good and bad outcomes of policies.

2 Likes

The algorithms popped this up on my work computer yesterday. It’s a great listen, Clancy really was quite humorous and very brilliant.

I was reading his novels by age 9 or 10 and echo an above statement that Clancy’s world narrated my own.

I think I’ll start Cardinal of the Kremlin again this weekend, as soon as I finish Vulcan 607.

4 Likes