Top Gun:Maverick Premiere

I was born january 86…

2 Likes

Is that out of a Commodore 64?
Edit: uhm nope can’t be. Resolution is too high and the colour of the ground too clean.

1 Like

I purposely didn’t watch any of the YT reviews before seeing the film last night. Now that’s done, it will be interesting this weekend to hear their sentiment and analysis.

Gut reaction with spoilers

It is an extremely entertaining film that is a very worthy sequel to the original. Of course its a bit more polished, but no less of a fairytale. It’s beautifully filmed and pushes most of my hot buttons, from motorcycles to Mustangs, as I’m sure that it does for most of us here at the Spike. At times it’s touching, as in the scene between Cruise and Kilmer, and romantic as in the relationship with Connally, especially the Pearl Harbor-esque sunset cruise in the P-51.

The “Where am I?” scene in the family diner was well played. And who among us didn’t appreciate Mav and Rooster’s doing the Tomcat cold and dark challenge?

But with all of its goodness, I was fairly disappointed with the flying and fighting parts of the film. I had hoped that it would try a little harder to be more authentic, but it stays on the exact same course as the original, even using a lot of the same flying conventions. Like all seeing ship sensors that displayed callsigns, jets transporting vast distances in seconds, enemy spawned from the evil empire, and each engagement having lead, bandit, and wingmen all in the same tight shot, as if it was a remake of of the Blue Max.

I guess that a BVR engagement would be a lot less dramatic for the cinema goer, and that the film makers would have a hard time portraying the intensity and urgency felt on the pilots as they chuck AMRAMs at each other, then try to notch and reengage. And though I realize that the Hornet can point its nose with the best of them, I was sure that they would give that damned Pugachev’s cobra a break. But no, it’s still Maverick’s equalizer that allows him to relentlessly destroy Top Gun valedictorians in one to many engagements.

The only thing missing was the finger. When the bad dudes intercepted the escaping Tomcat in their 5th gen fighters and were trying to use hand signals with Mav and Rooster, would that not have been the perfect opportunity to display the time honored universal sign of fight’s on? Maverick could have done that with his left hand as his right thumb selected guns, could he not? That left me somewhat unfulfilled.

Having spewed that, I laughed, I cried, and wanted more.

4 Likes

Yes.
I guess the picture compression adds some antialiasing.

1 Like

I can nitpick the heck out of the FS2020 Video…

The Plaque for the Alternates is down in the ladies room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S96B1eJFAlo

1 Like

Top Gun Soundtrack was also unlocked on Apple at Midnight,

I like the new Opening Credits track, the new re-synth’d anthem isnt the same without Stevens Guitars.

1 Like

Yeah seeing the film then getting to fly that thing and do the Super Hornet low level challenges afterwards in MSFS was just unbeatable!

1 Like

Slowly coming back down from the high! The movie was :fire:!!

With my 2 wingmen and the Airboss (wife) behind the camera.

10 Likes

I guess anybody who has logged an hour or two in the DCS Hornet and Super Carrier, can do that too. Just as they can with the movie… :wink:
Some things are best enjoyed for what they are though. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

One of the best flights I had in MSFS2020

3 Likes

Looks like a lot of fun!
The video intensifies my wish for a X-15 addon…!

3 Likes

Saw it yesterday and loved it. First time at the cinema since 2019 and it was an iSense cinema and the sound and rumble through the seats was amazing, never heard of this before now.

4 Likes

2 Likes

:smile: :+1:

I went with my wife. Going together was her idea and caught me a bit off guard. But apparently her Japanese friends couldn’t stop talking about how mindblowingly fun it was. Plus, she has a bit of a thing for Tom Cruise. (I am more of a Brad man myself.) That was the most fun I have had at a movie since Empire Strikes Back. There was not one bad minute. For anyone semi-knowledgeable (as I think we all at least think we are) there are a hundred points to throw bricks at. But it was just such a damn good show that the technical stuff was instantly forgivable. A fun story had to be told and straight physics would have just gotten in a way. I now worship at the altar of Cruise! (minus the Scientology)

7 Likes

I loved it. Saw it last weekend. Going again this weekend. It was the right amount of aviation, corniness, emotion, nostalgia, combat, and slick one-liners. Music was great. Original Top Gun for its time back when I was a teenager left an impression on me that kept it on my mind all these years. To have it come out now, not only not suck but be, for me in my opinion, better than the original at least due to technology of today, just really hits me in the feelings. I’m a big mush melon.

To compare, I was also a star wars kid, I was 5 or 6 when it came out and loved most all the movies. I had always dreamed of another chance to see Luke, Leia, and Han at an older age in a new adventure. When I heard they were all coming back around the time episode 7 was being announced I lost my mind. For 10 plus years I had thought it would be awesome to see them again. Well we all know how Ep 7, 8, and 9 turned out. Not the worst movies I’ve ever seen, except I hate episode 8 so much with how the story evolved. But my main point was they bombed on what I hoped for as a grand opportunity to put my childhood heroes together one last time and they blew it.

The complete opposite feels with Maverick. Not totally apples to apples here but close enough. They nailed it, I loved it, I was excited, entertained, nostalgic, emotional, and felt damn good at the end when we walked out.

11 Likes

Welcome to Mudspike, @gotBurner! :mudspike:
I don’t share your opinions on the SW movies, as I totally love them all, but I sure agree on TG! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s okay, I do lol! I couldn’t even finish the last one after the first 20 mins.

Agreed with all points regarding TG:M. What an awesome movie, especially in this day and age!

1 Like

Same here. The moment when Kylo-ren…

Ofl’d Han…

Part of my childhood died. My hero gone. I lost interest.

After that, I couldn’t care what happened. It still hurts now. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome @gotBurner! I am mostly in agreement re. SW.

1 Like