Tropical Storm / Hurricane Florence / update Michael

If the track follows (big IF) the Euro model and intensity…this is the possible effects with regards to rain and wind:

The rain in eastern NC is a big one. Everyone still remembers Floyd and it put most of Eastern NC under water. I remember Pitt Greenville Airport had about 5 feet of water over it for weeks. And it doesn’t necessarily have to be direct rainfall. All of that water that falls east of the Appalachians has to come down to the coast one way or another…

Thanks for that explanation and wishing you the best of luck with your J. A very good friend lost his J during Andrew, but replaced it with a Pearson. More comfortable, but not nearly as fun.

1 Like

Or worse, do significant damage to infrastructure at the base. I remember us getting underway with the entire fleet to dodge Irene back in 2003- that was a fun four days out to sea. The Truman was in drydock at the time, so all essential personnel were stuck aboard with the only power being from the emergency generators, living off PB&J and with all the lines on the ship tripled up.

Hope everything comes out OK with the boat, @Hangar200. I take it moving her up river to Yorktown or Eustis wouldn’t help mitigate the risks?

Wow…check out the “stadium effect” of that eye now…!

https://satelliteliaisonblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/20180910_30sec_vis2.gif?w=606&zoom=2

1 Like

The move north is good for Charleston, but the family beach house at Pawleys Island is sitting right in the 70-80 mph zone. It’s been there since '65, when it replaced the previous one that burned down,. Somehow, that old house has survived quite a few hurricanes, including the worst, which was Hugo. That storm took half the houses on the island. Still, I dread the clean up. Roofing shingles and screens usually go first, and then all of the sand will need to be moved back to the beach. What is usually interesting is what you find in the marsh afterward.

The apocalypse started yesterday in Raleigh. Grocery store shelves are being emptied, gas stations too.

3 Likes

Mandatory evacuations for parts of the Outer Banks rolling in now…

This includes all areas of Hatteras Island including the villages of Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Frisco and Hatteras Village.

A mandatory evacuation for residents and visitors in other areas of Dare County goes into effect beginning Tuesday, September 11 at 7:00 a.m. This includes the towns of Duck, Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head, Manteo; Roanoke Island; and the Dare County mainland.

Gas stations are the scary ones. I mean, everyone pretty much has enough food in their house for a few days. But for those that need to get somewhere and no gas…particularly those that are fleeing the coast. That’s a scary proposition.

But the liquor stores are still fully stocked.

My company’s headquarters is in Wilmington, right on the river. A lot of folks are getting ready to evacuate and head inland as we speak.

1 Like

I hit the ABC and grocery store yesterday. Tequila, beer, mix, and lots of ice. We are set. Heck, I don’t even know if I’m going to be here. Got a call this morning that they are consider activating us to deploy to the Virgin Islands (for that one that is bearing down on them). Ugh. I’m hoping they keep us here to work in the Carolinas personally.

1 Like

Yeah, was pretty bad. So we got runs on water and gas, now all we need is them to cancel every school for the next week to guarantee the Hurricane doesn’t come anywhere near us.

*wife just sent me a message, grocery stores are still chaos today :joy:

I’ve got a buttload of canned soup and other goods, precooked frozen meat and vegetables, full propane tanks on my grill and camp stove, and filled all the Britta pitchers yesterday. Just need to charge the USB chargers, all the tablets and phones, and make sure we can find the flashlights in the dark if need be. And make sure we can find the calming treats for the cat and dog if need be.

Just need to hit the ABC store by campus before the students do.

2 Likes

Good luck everyone and stay as safe as you can.

2 Likes

Zombies?

From years of living in Hurricane zones, Tsunami zones, Earthquake zones, etc. we have built our Disaster Tub.

A Big plastic tub with all the essentials one might need at home or while evacuating, in the event of a disaster.

Big enough to have a bunch of essential sundries, medical supplies, various disaster tool–big flashlight, various knives, fire sparker, and survival gadgets, Swiss army knife, and various sundry items (Geiger counter, Iodine pills, holy water, silver bullets, a sharpened wooden stake, @BeachAV8R’s home address, etc. :wink:)…small enough to fit in with of our SUVs with room for the six cats…and my Flightsim computers.

Our bar is always well stocked so no pressing need there.

The critical rule is NEVER take anything out of the Disaster Tub (except batteries or other stuff past an expiration date) because you WILL FORGET to replace it…it’s one of Murphy’s Laws.

2 Likes

I bought one of those small Yamaha generators about 5 years ago. It’s runs for like 9 hrs on a gallon of gas and has enough juice to power the refrigerator, freezer, a few lights, and charge all of the cell phones and some rechargeable flashlights. I keep a 5 gallon jug of gas with marine grade Sta-bil fuel stabilizer, so we are good for 3 - 5 days without power. We’ve got a gas stove for cooking.

Any longer than that and we are heading for the hills, that is to a friend of mine’s with the zombie apocalypse prepped mountain cabin, complete with solar power, well water, and hidden gun safe. It’s on top of a hill, with only one way up. Good to have friends like that :slight_smile:

Claudia criticised my purchasing the little Yamaha, but it’s kept all of our food fresh during 3 storms in 3 years. She has a different opinion now. With four ladies in the house, my worst fear is running out of toiletries. That would be unforgiven.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Looks like our guys are swinging into action.

Also, my brother said coastal SC got the mandatory evacuation order. Highway 501 and I-26 in Myrtle and Charleston respectively will be going contra flow tomorrow at noon.

Not really. I’m in a slip that is adjacent to land and the Club Building (and the bar…let’s keep our priorities straight). The HYC is on the Hampton River across from HU… so I’m in a fairly sheltered position.

Today I doubled up all the lines, re-tensioned them, and set two spring lines. Plenty of fenders. Boom is bellow ad running rigging is taught. Removed all extraneous pulleys, etc. Wrapped the bitter ends of the rest of the lines together and put them in the cockpit.

Wednesday, if it is still coming our way, I’ll “batten down the hatches” with some 100mph tape, and set the bilge pump to auto and attend to the homefront.