Viggen panels…

Today I got a set of bespoke Viggen panels, made by Johan Nauwelaertz De Agé, the owner of Novelair Simulatorteknik. Johan also served as a Viggen mechanic and Crewchief at the same airbase as I, but a couple of years earlier. He has an amazing AJ-37 Viggen simulator, with real instuments, belt tensioners and integrated g-suit inflation. He also has a J 35 Draken sim and a generic airliner sim. I have tried them all, and can absolutely recommend a visit, if you find yourself in the middle parts of Sweden.
Johan is a wizard when it comes to making simulator hardware or integrating real hardware to use with simulators. He made these panels for a few enthusiasts and I put myself on his rather short list of customers. The panels are full scale replicas, made from layers of sheet plastic that is painted and then engraved to enable panel lighting.
The buttons and knobs are cast from real counterparts. Some parts are 3D printed.

23 Likes

That is some beautiful work!

2 Likes

Oh wow, those are incredible

2 Likes

Looks like Troll just got DCS: Custom Pit Building.

Beware, this module is HIGHLY technical with a steep learning curve, there aren’t as many good tutorials out there as other modules have, and you will easily spend more time on it than all the rest of DCS put together!

3 Likes

That is way cool!

Now, if only I could get rid of ALL my living room furniture.

2 Likes

I guess you could say I’ve been on the beta test team, for a while now… :wink:

Let me know if you find a way to get the rest of the family onboard with that idea…

1 Like

Just. Wow. :astonished: :exploding_head:

That look so so good. The Viggen is hugely immersive already but that kit would take it to a whole new (low-)level!

2 Likes

I just woke up at three for no reason. The worst possible reaction to waking in the middle of the night is grabbing one’s phone. But I have and while browsing Mudspike my brain was immediately attracted to this thread titled “Vegan Planets”.

6 Likes

Thank you. Because now I don’t feel so bad for at first wondering why the Viggen had a, “Bananagrams” setting.

1 Like

Incredible panels … so when are we going to see the full sized front half of a viggen in your living room :grinning:

1 Like

@Troll that is too cool! I’ve always wanted to see someone build a Viggen, and can’t think of anyone who would be more enjoyable to watch do it!

2 Likes

Yeah, these panels need a home…

2 Likes

That’s looking great! Getting it to work is out of my league, but otherwise I’d definitely buy a complete set!

2 Likes

These are amazing! Do you know if these are still being produced, if there is any way to get them, or if there are any measurements online for me to go off of in modelling software? I’ve fallen in love with the AJS 37 recently through DCS. I’m studying engineering in the US and I’d love to make a fully functioning cockpit!

2 Likes

You can reach the maker of these panels in the link in the first post. I don’t know if he will be making more of the panels, but it could be he would be willing to share drawings or photos…?
Best of luck with your cockpit build!

Wow Do you know how they are made since they Isnt Produced anymore? It seems like it’s made out of acrylic. But how is the grey and black made? Is it 2 separate peices?

It’s clear acrylic painted black and then laser engraved text. The Grey parts are white acrylic, painted grey and acts as a light diffusor for the black parts.

Work is being done on 3D printed panels, by one of the guys behind the design of these panels.

3 Likes

Looking at the pictures I’d hazard it’s multiple pieces laser cut and then stacked and inlaid as needed.

Oh nice whit 3d printable ones. I will have aces to a laser cutter in autom so want to try using that sulotion whit acrylik. I maid a picture since I don’t have acces to pen and paper right now. I wonder if I understood it correctly?