Virpil switch box

I’m not a physical button guy, but love looking at these.

What do you bind this up for, is it in DCS mainly? Is it just to avoid never having to mouse around in VR, as you’ve mapped everything up?

2 Likes

Well, I am a physical button guy :wink:
You know me… I love my controller hardware.

I have more use for these button boxes in IL-2 as that one doesn’t have a clickable cockpit. In DCS i mainly use the HOTAS buttons and the gear and flap levers.

3 Likes

Right now, I’ve been following JoyPro dev and building a universal prop and jet profiles for DCS. Once it’s built, I can push it to all DCS modules literally with one mouse click. Since the new hardware just showed up, I’ve got a little more tweaking to do. Obviously the annunciator panel won’t help in VR, but that BAH (Big Arsed Handle) will :grin:

1 Like

They look fantastic. I can see for IL-2 it would be really nice as well.

For VR I often think a set of Cougar MFDs would complete my VR DCS experience a bit more, just to have a different way to hit that SCL button without a mouse. I’m not over that ‘this is a cockpit location’ dividing line on my set-up, as still just use a desk that has all sorts of stuff on it. I can see the appeal though.

2 Likes

I actually am coming to the opposite conclusion. I find that I don’t use the Cougar MFDs in VR because it’s too difficult to find the right buttons by feel. Not enough instant tactile recognition. I end up using the mouse 99% of the time. When I do go to press a MFD button, I have to start from an edge and count my way across, which ruins the immersion.

Gear, hook handles, levers, are the opposite though. As long as they’re easy to identify by feel and in the same relative place as the virtual aircraft cockpit I’m sitting in, they’re great.

3 Likes

Good point, thanks for that.

I wonder if @Troll and others with this wee thing instead for that sort of button pushing in VR?

I’m curious if it’s easy to mock up the shape, in a ‘geo located way’ (sounds fancy, but I just mean put the physical thing at the right distance as you would expect to feel it in the cockpit within VR). You wouldn’t even need to turn the MFDs on, just use them for feel and click the PointCtrl? I wonder if that’s convincing, but would need a permanent cockpit for sure I think?

I’ve felt both these sentiments; I love having them there but, if in a hurry (cuzz I planned poorly? I don’t know for sure), I grab for the mouse. Still I waver on the purchase, but I continue to use them.

1 Like

The day I received my pointctrl the cougar MFD went back to sender. It is excellent. Even if you’re pointing in space, in VR it’s the right space. Yeah it rocka for button pushing.

The downside are a small battery and a challenging calibration procedure.

2 Likes

I could try. I have the Cougar MFDs and the Point Ctrl. Thing is though, you’d have to click the Point Ctrl finger unit anyway.
I feel that geo locating (good word, btw) a controller works really well, in VR. Problem is that you’d have to commit to a specific cockpit…

1 Like

Last night, I learned about how IL-2 BoX handles DX input. There doesn’t seem to be a 32 button limit like there is with IL-2 CoD Blitz. I verified this last night looking at some of my assignments, many which are over 32. But there might be a 64 button limit. With my new Switch Box 2 (SB2) linked to my VPC MT-50 CM3 throttle. In DCS the gear lever on the Switch Box show up as DX 101, 102, and 103. But in IL-2 BoX, all of the buttons show up as POV hat directions. They don’t seem to work either.

I hate to do it, because I’ve got configs built this way, but in order to have the Switch Box work with BoX, I’m going to have to set the device as a stand-alone USB game controller. Will report further findings.

1 Like

I have run into trouble with IL-2 earlier.
Suddenly it wouldn’t recognize a new controller that I added. Something to do with the fact that it recognizes that old controllers are replaced and offers you to transfer your assignments to new controllers. But the list of controllers has a limit. I had to edit a controller file and remove a few controllers, so the new one could be added…
Don’t know if this is still the case, but it sure seems like IL-2 handles controller assignments a bit differently.

Edit.
I found the thread.
Evidently I deleted the entire input folder.

Perhaps make a backup of the input folder, delete it and let IL-2 rebuild it. Does this allow the buttons to be assigned?

1 Like

Using a bit of the MonsterTech control panel side mounting solution, I decided on this location. It doesn’t conflict with my left leg at all, but I had to move my throttle back a bit to allow full thrust from the right handle. FYI, I rotated the top plate of the panel so that the cords could access the port on the bottom, per the manual.

4 Likes

I did this as well.
Glad that they thought of this!

1 Like

The Virpil Control Panel no. 3 is out.
Named the SharKa-50 Control Panel.

2 Likes

:eyes: :eyes: must resist!!! :eyes: :eyes:

1 Like

That would also be great for the hind :laughing:

2 Likes

WWII birds, also, so long as those four up top are full axis controls.

2 Likes

They are. And they come with extra handles and can be set up as two prop and two mixture…

2 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, I need it…

5 Likes