Virpil, VKB, Thrustmaster, Oh My!

If memory serves, using the cams without centering and the lightest springs, given that I flew for so long with the shortest extension. I’ve cranked up the screw tensioners quite a bit, but I’d probably be better served with stiffer springs. Might try switching them out tonight.

Let me know how it goes! I’ve got the heaviest stock for roll, and the stock spring for pitch. Both tension screws also dialed in a good bit.

Latest from Virpil - Relaunch on Amazon

Hello VIRPILs!

As we continue to improve the VIRPIL Controls store experience, many orders are now being processed and dispatched in less than 2 weeks!

We’re also excited to provide more options for people to get their hands onto VPC gear such as our recently launched VIRPIL Controls Factory Outlet Store on eBay. Continuing on from that we have been reviewing our relaunch onto the Amazon marketplaces and now VPC products are available to purchase from Amazon EU (via amazon.de).

Check out our Amazon profile page:
https://www.amazon.de/sp?_encoding=UTF8&seller=A19QG2MZE7XV4R

This will be an ongoing project and we will continue to expand out to additional Amazon marketplaces including Amazon US and Amazon UK in the very near future. Stay tuned for more news!

Happy Flying!
VIRPIL Controls Team

4 Likes

A solid kick in the teeth to Thrustmaster. “Convenient retail channels” was one of the main feathers left in their cap over Virpil.

Hoping this leads to getting US shipping costs down (I presume it’s ultimately cheaper to ship a few pallets overseas and warehouse at amazon than ship individually).

1 Like

So, as the CMS on my old Warthog stick is almost completely toast, I’m looking at the next grip to get. Debating between the Virpil CM2 stick, and the TM Hornet stick.

Any thoughts from owners of either/ both?

2 Likes

I have the Virpil WarBRD base and the CM2 grip… It really is great. The CM2 grip is quite versatile with more hat switches, buttons etc than most simmers could ever need. Unless you are a dedicated Hornet or F14 driver, then the CM2 has a lot to offer.

5 Likes

AFAIK the TM Hornet stick is the same plastic ball gimbal, as the Warthog…?
Are you going to use the stick on a desktop, or use an extension?
Desktop: VPC WarBRD
Extension: VPC MT-50 CM2

VPC also has got a S shaped extension, straight extensions in different lengths and they have an F-14 grip! :slight_smile:

Some recommended reading :wink:

3 Likes

So I put in an order, but I’m not certain this will work.

I ordered the MongooseCM2 grip from Virpil but after going back and forth with Monstertech, decided on the WarBRD base. Mostly I was concerned that the smaller base wouldn’t keep the stick far enough away from the MT mount.

Now, the MongooseCM2 stick says it’s compatible with the WarBRD base. But the MongooseCM2 also says it’s not for desktop use.

So I’m a bit confused as to how this will all work together.

Anyone have any insight on this particular combination? I prefer the CM2 to the Alpha stick, but there’s no point if it’s not going to work out.

It depends on the weight of the grip I would say. But I didnt find online any numbers for the grip weights.
So the only problem with the CM2 grip I see is that the springs in the WarBRD base will be not ‘strong enough’ to generate ‘enough’ centering force (‘enough’ is really subjective measure).

Then it is up to your liking whether it is acceptable for you or not. Because for helo ops I would guess that it is not that a problem.

As a helo sim pilot, really looking forward to hearing your experience with that combination. As my preference would be also WarBRD + extension + some grip (best the CM2 but also WarBRD grip is nice imo).

I emailed Virpil again and they confirmed that this particular combination should be no issue.

The only obvious difference I can see
from pictures is that the MongooseCM2 is slightly longer than the Alpha. So I could see your point in that it might be more top heavy. Of course the longer stick would also make it more difficult to use with the WarBRD base sitting on an actual desk.

I like the thought of a central stick on an extension. I’m just not currently enthusiastic about getting it to fit with a chair and the throttle and my desk.

It’s funny. When you hop into an actual cockpit, you sort of take the fit for granted.

But after walking around like a hunchback from simming all day in a non-ergonomic sim pit, I have huge respect for the amount of work that goes into that aspect of design!

It’s the bases that are more or less suited for desktop use. The WarBRD base has weaker centering, but a really smooth center transition. This makes it less suited for an extension as the centering forces may be too weak. The centering force is quite good enough for use with a heavy TM metal grip as long as you don’t elevate it with an extension.
The CM2 base is taller and has a stronger centering. Putting this one on a desktop will put the grip quite high up. This base is more suited to be mounted between your legs, with an extension.
All of Virpils grips work on both bases.
And both bases can use different springs to suit the user. The CM2 also has pre tensioning screws.

2 Likes

My read is that @Navynuke99 is looking to just replace the stick.

That said, I can only speak to the hornet stick, but while its nice, it falls a bit short of the warthog grip in some ways. Namely the plastic, videogamey feeling trigger. Conversely, the other switches by and large do feel much better and more solid than the warthog.

Also note worthy; apparently TM is due to announce a “new joystick bundle” sometime this year. Might be worth waiting?

1 Like

I’m using a MonsterTech desk mount, WarBRD base and the CM2 grip… I think you are going to like it. I did put the mounting plate on the underside of the MonsterTech assembly to bring the stick as low as I could (the grip is quite tall). Probably not the strongest configuration, but it is still rock solid after a couple of years of use.

With the secondary trigger in the lowered position, you get full forward range in the pitch axis (just)…

With the secondary trigger raised, it will butt up against the MonsterTech mount. Initially I thought this was going to be a problem, but then again, how often do we push full forward when flying…pretty much never. It hasn’t been a problem for me at all.

I hope that helps a bit.

2 Likes

I am on the same combo except I have the TM F/A-18 grip. On the MT mounts as shown by PaulRix it is a treat.

Beware: While the WarBRD base is marketed as ‘desk use’ it is not in my experience. It is just still too tall especially once you screw the grip on it.

And as a side note, the WarBRD base has a larger angular throw than the CM base. That’s why the WarBRD is not recommended to be used with an extension.

2 Likes

Yep, should’ve clarified there.

I’ve got the Mongoos CM2 base and a 20cm extension, just looking to replace the stick on top right now.

1 Like

Aaaah… Totally misread your post.

I ordered the longer bottom piece to get clearance and it’s working fine of course.

Hey Dr. Evil, I’m interested in that carpet that your rudder pedals are sitting on. Care to share more info? I have hardwood floors and have yet to find a good solution for rudder pedal sliding around. Sometimes, it’s the little things that matter.

I think I picked it up at Office Max or Staples… I put a shed load of velcro on the bottom of the pedals (the hooks side) and worked the pedals into the carpet. It works great…just don’t remove them once you have a good grip - it never seems to grip as well when the Velcro isn’t new. The mat has a heavy rubber backing (I think it is supposed to be an office door-mat)…

Maybe this will do the trick for you?

Mine is 3ft x 5ft. My chair sits on it, so the mat isn’t going anywhere when I am sat down.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch Paul. Sounds like a viable solution. I’ll add it to “Dan’s daily Amazon” and let you know you it goes.

I hope it works well for you Dan. I’m sure a proper mounting would be better, but this has proved more than adequate and doesn’t involve putting holes in anything. :laughing:

2 Likes