Visual Jokes or Intensity

Gaming in the 8 bit era…

17 Likes

And honestly, so-called “AAA-gaming” today as well :joy:

1 Like

It was a classic on Atari, Z80, Spectrum, … and 100s of other contemporary console games of the time.

3 Likes

What was fun is that in 80s our face in the 4th square was equal to the one in the 1st. We not had better games to have better reference :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eh, for some games probably.
I remember spending some good money on Commodore 64 games and regretting it very strongly once loaded up…

The big difference back then was really really if the gameplay was good.

Wizard of Wor was a prime example. Rudimentary graphic but the gameplay was impressive, engaging and challenging.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know how to express it better, but I agree : in that past two years I found most enjoyment from smaller studios, “less-than-AAA” rated games…

Only exception might be GTA V, which is an absolute blast.

2 Likes

GTA:V is something special, I agree. But if I have to play another cover-based-shooter that sold itself as a story-driven adventure… :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Which game do you refer to? I’m actually curious - I haven’t played proper AAA games in a long time

Honestly the one I’m thinking of is Rainbow Six: Vegas (and Vegas 2), though Wikipedia tells me that was released in 2006 so now I feel old!

I have run across a lot of games which seem to have the same gameplay loop, despite the pre-rendered promotional scenes, which I find boring. Every few years I’ll dip a toe in, the most recent was Far Cry 5, which was actually a really interesting experience - I really disliked the ending I got, but on thinking through it I wouldn’t have made any other decisions in the game and I really couldn’t see how I should have forseen any way my actions were leading to that ending. Which is interesting because normally I don’t have to sit down and have a debrief about how I play a game. Which somewhat redeemed it in my mind. I’m still not sure I’d recommend it…

I’ve actually acquired the Mass Effect Legendary Edition (I’ve still never played ME3 due to the bad reviews and hating Origin - they never sold it on Steam originally in my country), but I’m having another crack at MW5 with the VR mod with the new cockpits first.

Hardly mainstream games these days!

4 Likes

7 Likes

I picked that up a while ago, because I had only ever played ME2. ME3 is probably the ‘weakest’ of the three, but still quite good. ME2 is the stand out for gameplay and story.

Dying to try MW5 with that VR mod as well… I just have to get over the AMS2 and Dirt Rally jag that I am on at the moment.

3 Likes

Me and the boy completed ME1 together and I was pumped to start the 2nd one in the collection then he lost interest. Ironically, the girl really wanted to play it with me, so that then started an argument and i gave up.

I really want to play that one lol

4 Likes

I liked the story and the presentation (music etc.) in ME1, but the combat gameplay was painful. ME2 fixed the actual gameplay, and was OK on the presentation, and moved the story along well, I thought. A good videogame sequel :+1:

4 Likes

11 Likes

Well, speaking of Bears…

12 Likes

13 Likes

Me feeling old:
Sarcasm Lol GIF by StickerGiant

3 Likes

Well, that depends when the pictures were taken, dunnit?

1 Like

Vlad the inhaler

10 Likes

9 Likes