VPC MT-50CM2 & WarBRD Mudspike Review

Do you think one could connect a DIY-Pannel on that port?

I don’t know, actually…
I don’t think it’s as simple as a shift register extension as VPC are planning on digital angular sensors in the control panels.
I would love to see VPC sell DIY control panel sets where you could design your own…

3 Likes

Hey guys, necroing the thread to ask a question I swore I asked before, but couldn’t remember where, or the answer. I’m currently using a WarBrd with 6" ext and a TM Hornet grip. It’s very precise, but it suffers from feeling very undamped. Said another way, it feels very “boingy boingy boingy” when making adjustments. I’m wondering, does the MT-50CM2 have more of a dampened feel to it?

Nope.

The MT-50CM2 doesn’t have damping, but can be set with a much harder centering force, making it better suited for extensions, IMO.

1 Like

I saw this a couple of weeks ago, perhaps it’s the answer?
https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/of4cp1/feels_as_good_as_it_looks/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Looks like a pair of motorcycle steering dampers like myself and many others have added to our rudder pedals, and some 3D printed bits and thingys. Troll, any thoughts?

Does it center…?
I’m thinking about something similar myself, but with spring dampers and a configuration that makes the springs aid in the centering.

Good question, I wonder as well. He says it does.

The problem with using springs and hydraulics to simulate aerodynamic forces (for anyone that doesn’t know), is that aircraft controls* generally have a significant self-centering aerodynamic force that immediately returns the control to the trimmed position, but without going past it and bouncing back. So if I let go of my stick/yoke, the tendency will be for the control to immediately go back to neutral, with no boing-boing effect like we see with springs. I’m not sure how we emulate that with mechanicals, except with an FFB stick.

*The airframes that I have experience on. I can’t imagine an exception, but it’s possible. I’ve never flown a FBW or hydraulically boosted aircraft, so I reserve the right to be corrected.

Troll mentioned it. Could be achieved with combination of dampers and springs.

Or there is VKB which uses damping mechanism in their GunFighter bases. They call it dry clutch. Here some vid showing it and its adjustment (skip to 5:55)

That’s the problem… Real mechanical flight controls have variable feedback depending on dynamic pressure as the air exerts a force on the control surfaces. That’s not easily simulated.

A new kind of FFB stick would be interesting! Probably very expensive.

When it comes down to mechanical controls I prefer a hard centering force and rebound damping.