VR News: HP Reverb - Second Gen headsets are on the way

How is your frame rate when getting to the space ports? Seems they are the objects which give my 6700k 1080ti combo the biggest hits in VR.

Well, I’ve only been to the one in the training scenario - so if other ones are populated with online or NPCs, or if they are of a different size or configuration, your mileage may vary. But I will hop back on and see what fpsVR is saying. I’m running the “Max VR” preset graphics - is there something specific to VR that would prevent me from picking even higher settings?

Elite in a station is pretty brutal in a Rift or O+ normally, as in you’ll get reprojection kicking in. As nearly all the time is out in space then it’s worth tuning it for that really.

1 Like

I want to say even max settings can be increased if you tweak things just like in DCS.

1 Like

I appear to be locked on 45 as that is all fpsVR is showing…

I tried taking an iPhone panorama…lol…

1 Like

Yep, if the motionReprojectionMode is on auto (as it might as well be) then it will either show 45 or 90. As long as it feels good then probably best to use it for everything. Some people like to turn it off and drop the headset to a forced 60 Hz, but I prefer 90 Hz and auto, as it works pretty well.

I vaguely remember buying this vehicle years ago…

4 Likes

Yeah…I see 90 in external views…

1 Like

That’s your starter Sidewinder. It’s the Ford Pinto, but good for getting used to things.

Do you have Elite Horizons? Equipping a vehicle hangar means you get a buggy and the ability to drive around on airless planets/moons if you land on them. Be careful though, it’s a bit like Dirt Rally down there, in that you’ll need a strong stomach if driving like crazy. The buggy on Elite is one of the few things to make me queasy in VR. :face_vomiting: :vr:

1 Like

I have all of this stuff…

1 Like

Yay, you have the works!

Once you’ve got the basic up/down/left right bindings sorted on (I often just use an Xbox controller in VR, with default bindings) then you’re all set to go land on a planet. It’s a real rush the first time, in VR or not. The procedurally generated stuff they have for that is amazing.

1 Like

Agree. Bombing around a moon in your buggy is just a blast and can offer some fantastic views of the planets within the system you are in at the time.

1 Like

Well…if my flying is any indication… (LOL…recording off the tiny monitor window on my screen as I was flying…Reverb resolution is much, much better obviously)…

1 Like

Nice, that’s some fancy flying - although a heads up that the law enforcement in Elite is a little on the ‘you are now dead, so no more crimes’ side of the policing correction philosophy. :slight_smile:

Btw, I think every ship comes with a docking computer now as well (even an Advanced one that undocks you if you buy it). That’s handy if you fall into the ‘Air Hauler in Space’ meta game and can’t be bothered to hand dock each time, where it turns more into a Space Trucking sim.

It’s such a nice game because you can basically choose whatever role you like, miner, bounty hunter, pirate, explorer, trader, you name it. At the beginning it’s probably best to play in ‘Single Player’ as all that does is stop other people joining your personal instance. Some of the MP crowd can be a little mercenary on new players, although it really is the luck of the draw. In my experience nearly everyone is nice, but it’s been a while since I was in a Sidewinder.

2 Likes

Ah…remind me not to visit the Tiananmen Square Station unless I clean up my flying…haha…

Yeah…I’ll get my feet wet with the tutorials for sure. Then maybe we can do one of those Mudspike Fly-Ins…although from what I’ve read here before, you sorta have to be in the same area of the Universe I suppose…

2 Likes

It’s actually super easy to join up with others you know, you just join the private group a few of us have. That way it’s just like single player but we’re all in it together. It works pretty well and you should have an invite now.

Seeing your screens made we want to try it again, so I might see you online (I’ll fly to you, but I can’t even remember where I left it. It might be a really long way away. :slight_smile:)

EDIT: Ha, I’m on a player guild ship that’s gone exploring, I’m docked to The Gnosis about 2,500 LY from where you are, i.e. not close.

1 Like

I hopped on for a second, but now I’ve been tasked to make dumplings for dinner…so I’ll be back on later tonight. :slight_smile: :fortune_cookie:

2 Likes

Continuing the grand tour of VR titles - I loaded up CAP 2, which looks gorgeous in VR. It has a nice mix of detail and the VR performance is as fluid as any sim out there - in fact, more like Aerofly 2 fluid as a comparison. And the visuals and lighting are really nice. Unfortunately, the game feels like it is really stuck in development. The terrains and environments are getting better, but there isn’t really any gameplay…just tooling around doing the training missions. This game could be a load of fun in MP with a good campaign, but I’m really wondering if this thing is ever going to be fleshed out.

1 Like

@BeachAV8R, are you still using the SS setting above? Did you try to SS more that the 188%? If yes, did the visuals improve significantly on your Reverb?

Just asking since my system (i7 4790K and GTX 1080 - I know, it is aging as we speak :sunglasses:) is handling this resolution quite OK. However, when going down with the SS to match my O+ native resolution, the result is really bad (I did not want to use “sucks” but you got the idea…).

So what I am asking actually is whether the native resolution of the Reverb is already high enough so that SS above its native resolution is not really necessary or, as in the O+ case, it still is in order to get good visuals.

Thanks!

Milan

I haven’t tried anything above 188% - but I certainly will give it a whirl to see how it does and if it makes things even better. I’ll be interested to see…