VR News: HP Reverb - Second Gen headsets are on the way

I have it all installed, the portal runs on startup and I usually start SteamVR and run DCS. If I try to start WMR for Steam with SteamVR running, I get a warning saying WMR doesn’t support VR and will cause performance problems.

Interestingly enough, it works the same if I start WMR for Steam instead of SteamVR, seems to start SteamVR.

I’m running SteamVR beta 1.8.19.

In the steamVR settings, under video it’s set to 164% but under application settings I have DCS set to 100% which overrides the video settings I believe.

Ok… got it…Thanks for your help.

You are working this hard! I’m sure we can get this working well! The KB fix that you must have is 4507453 so run updates at win 10 start and then select the option to see update history. You have the correct SteamVR version and it’s really difficult to find out the WMR portal version but you got it recently anyway. Check your setting for the portal - should be highest quality beta. Put the Reverb on inside the portal houses and you should be quite clear there. When you see a webbrowser page pull up YouTube or something where you can see text and it should be clear. Try to get just this clear before worrying about SteamVR.
In SteamVr you should set Application SS at 100% and also 100% in Video SS with that being just a little over 2160x2160.
As far as Nvidia settings, you don’t want much antialiasing start at 2x but really just let the application control it. Make sure that you don’t have NVI or any other app setting AA.
In DCS set pixel density to 1.0

1 Like

How is your vision at 3 to 5 meters? I think that is where they set the VR focus point. I have to use glasses so I got the vroptician inserts. I’m just trying to think what might be an issue. I had an Odyssey+ until a month ago ( so I am used to the challenges of the WMR world ) when i got the Reverb and i am just very satisfied with being able to fly a 787 airliner in Prepar3d or a Q400 in Aerofly FS2 and be able to read the flight management CDU without leaning in. I can also read the copilot side instruments just like real life. I hope we can get yours going fine as well. How about your IPD? Some folks are having problems with that.

1 Like

One more thing to check is that in the steamvr world is to have selected beta for the wmr for steamvr piece. This is separate from just steamvr. At least some other uses have reported better clarity once having made that setting. I think steam menus call that software or tool as opposed to a game. I agree with many (ALL) of you that all these layers of software and settings are a real pain. Fortunately for me, this all came to a head this last summer while i was using my Odyssey+ and even it got noticeably clearer. Then changing to the Reverb was fairly easy. If WMR is brand new to you I feel your pain. Maybe if we could all move to OpenXR or whatever, it would be better in the future.

3 Likes

Hey guys, I posted this in the IL-2 updates thread but thought that it would be benificial here, because it affects all WMR users. In essence, IMO a recent update to either SteamVR for WMR, or WMR overwrites your default.vrsetting file, disabling motion reporjection and the mrp status indicator. You need to edit this file again if you use motion reprojection. Discussion on what these do on the ED forum.

1 Like

Thank you HP Canada for your incompetence in actually stocking stuff. My wallet is hiding under the couch, shivering in fear… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok… I LOVE that you’ve posted so much awesome stuff about the HP Reverb… but I’m kind of stuck here. I recently purchased the Reverb to replace my CV1. I’m really struggling to get all the awesome goodness from it though. I’ve done everything correctly as far as set up goes I believe. First, here’s my PC specs:

6700k Skylake Processor
EVGA 2080 Ti GPU
32 GB Ram

I’ve updated Windows to 1903 update, installed WMR for Steam VR Beta, running SteamVR beta, updated the VR.ini file with correct projection settings (removed //)… reset SS settings in Steam VR to 188% … but when I put on Reverb… I don’t get that “wow” feeling. I’ve run it in DCS, and compared to my CV1… they look the same! Reverb even has same screen door as CV1! Something cant be right??? What could I possibly be doing wrong with my set up?.. I’ve given this quite some time, trying to figure it out… compared experiences both ways… with Reverb and CV1… both images in DCS feel the same… actually , Reverb seems worse! I KNOW this just cant be right. I’m on the verge of returning the Reverb out of frustration… have had it only 6 days. But… after seeing your posts and images… I KNOW its GOT to be a set up issue. I just cant figure it out. Only thing I can think of now, is when I go into WMR for Steam VR beta settings, and move slider to 188% (to somewhat match native Reveb 2160x2160 native), I need to restart WMR for Steam VR for the new settings to take effect? So, there it is… so frustrated!! Can you give me any suggestions? Much appreciated!!

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I can’t help directly but wanted to welcome you here in Mudspike, @Wardaddy59!

See you around.

1 Like

Welcome to MUDSPIKE Wardaddy59.

I’m not sure what’s going on with the screen door effect, because I see little to none, but when you say SS @ 188%, do you mean motion reprojection or application resolution? Regardless, that sounds high. Since I am really happy with my image overall, why don’t you try my settings detailed 3 posts above and report back?

1 Like

If you haven’t, try these settings: https://vr4dcs.com/2019/09/10/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

1 Like

Thank you sir… I’ll take a look!

Yep… I followed everything on Thud’s page… still no joy.

So now that I’ve finally broken down and ordered an HP Reverb (arrives middle of next week :frowning:), is anyone using any recommended mods? Like for glasses? Or more comfortable long-term wear? Or such?

2 Likes

I got just this

And I think you can also use a headstrap. I got one from my old O+ but never really felt the need to attach it.

Have fun!

1 Like

Only mod I did was the zip-tie mod to the connector to the back of the headset to sort of get it out of the way and take the pressure off the connection. @fearlessfrog also did put the top headstrap from his O+ I think on his…I haven’t quite made that change yet as the headset is already pretty comfortable as it. I don’t feel any need to replace the eye cover piece, if there is even one available. I’m kind of waiting on a new eyeglass prescription before I order inserts, but I think that would be the best bang for the buck as far as comfort mods. My daily use eyeglasses are too big to fit in the eye box, but I have an older pair of glasses that are narrow and smaller frames that fit fine, but I’d love to not wear any at all.

3 Likes

Has anyone used the CaptoGlove or pointCTRL devices? I know @schurem posted in the WWII Poll thread that he uses the pointCTRL device… how is it? Is it better 3D Print quality than the pictures on their website? :slight_smile:

CaptoGlove

pointCTRL

I have PointCtrl. The 3D print isn’t fancy. Typical low volume manufacturing. But as a mouscontroller they work surprisingly well. The designer is making some changes.
But one thing to keep in mind is that PointCtrl is not VR controllers, as such. They don’t move in 3D space. They just replaces the mouse 2D pointer.

The 3D print quality is the least interesting things about pointCTRL. They work. And when you are in VR, you don’t see or even feel the 3d printed parts.

They are not perfectly plug & play, but if you can get to grips with russian DME navigation, you can get it running and calibrated. It’s not ‘getting falcon 3.0 to run’-level computer science.

So you waited forever to get yours (it’s built by a man on his kitchen table), and you managed to get them set up and tweaked, and now you point at the thing and click it. You no longer need to grab a mouse or a trackball. You just go click-click-click at the buttons where you see them. It’s not just good, it’s great.

If you already have a HOTAS, fly VR and DCS modern jets is your game, I’d rate this thing higher than a set of rudder pedals! It’s that good, and does that much for immersion.

1 Like

Has anyone used the CaptoGlove or pointCTRL devices?

I know @schurem posted in the WWII Poll thread that he uses the pointCTRL device (and loves it) but is the 3D print quality better than the pictures on their website? :slight_smile:

CaptoGlove

pointCTRL