VR News

LG is producing some of the best displays out there at the moment. I can imagine they have some tricks up their sleeve for their VR device.

1 Like

For a 2 sensor setup, they pretty much sit on opposite sides of your desk…

If you go all out and buy a 3rd senso, you would put that somewhere behind you.

Edit: That was aimed at Chris :wink:

2 Likes

Well, wonder no more!

1 Like

I’m thinking it will be several months before we see the LG headset on the streets though. My guess, Q4, just in time for Christmas :wink: .

Interesting. The Oculus is not $680 Canadian (without the controllers). The Vive is $1200 with the controllers. Wonder if the Vive will be forced down in price with this $100 Oculus price cut.

For those counting pixels:

1080x1200 per eye on Rift / Vive

1440x1280 per eye on the LG

A 42% (1.4 times) a resolution upgrade, with potentially RGB panels rather than pentile.

Sexy, especially for flight sims that need some detail in the cockpit and for finding targets. Good job the 1080Ti is coming out :wink:

1 Like

Controllers look very similar to Vive and use the Valve tracking tech so should be compatible with the Vive stations:

It’s a big ol unit for sure (or a tiny woman). The pass-through camera looks prominent. These are just dev kits though, so final release might evolve a fair bit. Plus, agree with @PaulRix - ready for Xmas this year for sure :slight_smile: :christmas_tree:

Same ‘flip up’ design as PSVR with single cable:

2 Likes

It’s not hard to envision how stuff like THIS (StrikerVR Haptic Gun) could transform so many training scenarios for everything from SWAT teams to military operations. I’m sure nothing will ever replace a true walkthrough practice of an operation, but when you can do things like program the layout of the Bin Laden compound, or a vessel or aircraft, and allow the participants in the operation to go through it in VR - I’d imagine there are very real benefits. The military and so many fields are probably going to benefit from VR in the future I think.

2 Likes

Things like the haptic gun could be things for stuff like Onward as well. A really intense first-person milsim that’s doing really well so far…

Forget training, it’s for fun :slight_smile: :vr:

1 Like

Watching videos like this make me realize that I really need to go through the hassle of getting my wheel out and mounting it to my desk. It is such a hassle though…grrr…I wish I had a garage and a mancave so I could have like a rotating desk setup…

2 Likes

Some interesting “room scale” VR in this video…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maJSnXfkxts&feature=youtu.be

2 Likes

If you have touch with oculus - robo recall is freaking awesome. Also it’s free. Get it and do your job.

1 Like

What’s that…? A sim?

DCS with mods I believe. Love that LSO camera view…

1 Like

And, on another note…

2 Likes

That looks really cool. To the download machine!

They really seem to be pushing Touch With Everything, which makes sense as I’m sure they don’t want to be into a sort of ‘Xbox with or without Kinect’ market slicing.

It is epic - if you have touch then as it’s free and probably the nicest VR shooter there is…

An embarrassment of VR riches at the moment. D/L ISS and Robo Recall. Going to the man pit fridge for an IPA.

1 Like

That one is impressive as well. Very well done.

The ISS sim is simply astounding. I spent about an hour in the training area working up to the point where I was able to capture and dock the resupply capsule (Dragon?). What an experience to have watched the launch live, then explore some of the ISS modules and dock the capsule! Incredible.