VR News

I was hoping for more viable stealth options. But it’s brutal to be stealthy and even harder to find teammates who are willing and able. I just moved on from it to better things.

2 Likes

My biggest problem was with Payday, is the DLC. I tried it again after not playing for a few months and suddenly my gun that I had was useless whilst everyone around me was doing extremely dangerous stuff to kill cops, which should have had them dead, but they pay’d for fancy gear and so I was left out being rather bored. Terrible idea for a game that you have to pay for in the first place. If they want to make this enjoyable again then the whole balance needs a reset.

2 Likes

Half Life 2: VR

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=923491647

Valve don’t seem overly keen on this, so the (free) mod devs have gone the Greenlight route to get this out there and be put in the store by people voting for it. There’s more details plus some videos here:

1 Like

A bit late now, but they are done with paid for Payday 2 DLC apparently. They are withdrawing it all from the Steam store and just going to go with a single edition.

1 Like

That is good news, I suppose it’s time to get the gang back together and do a few heists!

https://usat.ly/2pCq0SZ

1 Like

Those Acer controllers are interesting as they don’t use any form of external tracking other than the headset (or not that I can find). A bit like with a leapmotion sensor strapped to your forehead, the headset has to be looking at the hand controllers for them to register a position. It is good it is cheaper, but can’t help suspect that there’s going to be occlusion issues with a few regular SteamVR titles it might say it is compatible with.

So technically I should add Google to the topic text, but it’s getting too wide.

A standalone VR device running Google Daydream from HTC:

No wires, inside out tracking and a dedicated OS (a subset of Android).

Not so relevant to the PC owners here, but all still good to increase the interest and dev dollars into VR games/media. All boats rise etc.

2 Likes

6 days without the rift and I am suffering big time, everything is sooooo boring now, I have never been so bored since I was a teenager. I thought ah the perfect opportunity learn the viggen systems, doh!!! I set up my trusty track IR with a generous amount of gaffer (Duck) tape to keep it in place, the legs having been lost throughout the ages. I forgot how annoying it is. having to recentre the screen so you can see the controls or recentering so you can look outside :rage:
So company of heroes Blitzkrieg mod is now my go to game. All the comments above about not going back to 2d are spot on. I can only hope that my RMA rift is returned to coincide with Normandy release.

When I do get the rift back would anyone like a session on Pcars, I am rather enjoying the adrenaline rush I get in that game :smiley:

2 Likes

Not exactly news and I haven’t verified that it works, but very interesting concept of streaming to HD while playing in VR.

1 Like

If you like model ships and want to stare at them in VR. I guess this is a thing.

1 Like

Do they have guns? Bismark V Titanic :astonished:

PS Oculus have been in touch, replacement Rift shipping tomorrow YAAY

1 Like

New Steam VR Home in beta.

Today we are updating SteamVR with a new home experience that is richer, more interactive, and more social than the existing launch area. SteamVR Home is currently in beta and will appear for everyone who opts in to SteamVR Beta.

Info here:

Available in beta but so far pretty neat. I’ve set up a room if you want in. Video/webm follows as screenshots don’t really cut it:

Lots of competition between Facebook/Oculus and now Valve in the ‘Load the Matrix’ welcome rooms, especially around social stuff.

The interactive rooms like Jam Session etc really are great fun. You can pick up instruments and play with Steam friends. @BeachAV8R, when you get bored with FSW, go online in Steam and we can jam :slight_smile: :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

I get the feeling there’s a concerted push towards VR on Mudspike’s behalf but I ain’t buyin’ it.

Come to think of it, I hope this isn’t the reason EinsteinEP left. :hushed:

Nope. He left because I’m not good at managing conflicts. But I’m trying to get better.

3 Likes

You guys are pushing it pretty hard though.

It’s in a single topic, just hit ‘Tracking’ and it won’t even appear in your latest.

2 Likes

I don’t really feel it’s being pushed. The guys who have it really enjoy it, that’s obvious from the posts, and it’s been recommended as it improves their experience, but I don’t see anyone being all door-to-door salesman like about it.

To each their own I guess.

2 Likes

Old grumpy here … current VR “blindfold to everything around you” tech just turns me off.

I literally have multiple screens and keyboards and controllers that I always need to see while I sim.

2 Likes

Fair enough, we will try to keep it all in this topic. I understand it does polarize opinions a bit.

I honestly don’t care if anyone else buys it or not, I ain’t selling :slight_smile:

2 Likes