VR Settings for DCS and IL2 BoX

, ,

I would love to know what the blue on blue stats for the Russians were in Korea. Its no wonder you see Sabres in bold Black and White or Yellow bands and the late Russian planes in Red noses and camouflage

Yeah, that would be interesting to see some stats. There were some MiG on MiG kills, recorded by USAF pilots, but I don’t know how often this occured.
I think the dogfights in MiG Alley were exceptional in this regard since it was jet vs. jet, both with swept wings and similar in planform. It can’t have been easy to spot the difference.
Even James Jabara had a friendly kill, and that one was well within one mile.

Good VR visibility beyond 10 feet would be a good starting point. :smiley:

Which we have right now with current gen VR. Could it be better? Absolutely, but the flip side to the coin is that most players have an unrealistic expectation of how easy it should be to see other aircraft with the Mk1 eyeball.

1 Like

That’s my point. I own and utilize an Oculus Rift and I don’t think you have that with current gen VR.

I respect your argument but Flight Simulation Developers (ALL OF THEM) are going to great lengths to provide highly detailed models and textures for the flight sim community to enjoy. Is good 3D realization a reason to turn all that detail off? I won’t do it until I’m satisfied with the tech and I fear that might be many years down the road.

IMO, 1.3 million 3D pixels through a “screen door” HMD is currently only meant for children’s games.

My current 8.3 million 2D pixels through a 60” screen is quite nice, especially because my GTX 1070 card doesn’t seem to care! (my mind is still blown on that one)

1 Like

Agreed. @Linebacker, I get the feeling you’re probably trolling the VR threads now. While your ‘old man TV’ is probably great for you :wink: we don’t need to hear your opinion in every single VR thread on how VR sucks - it just annoys people. Thanks.

VR Sucks. That’s Why I use it every night. Hahahahaha
I will be using my TV too, as soon as I can find a way to set up my sim on the floor.

Both have advantages. Once you have VR, everything else is ho hum

But on a 65 inch TV with all the eye candy maxed out
 It brings a tear to your eye

It don’t have to be about your sim is better than mine.

1 Like

Suddenly in BoS the gunsight is flying all over the place. I have weird flickering of enemy aircraft and just generally bad VR graphix. The gunsight is the most disturbing. Anyone know a fix for this?

Maico, there have been complaints about excessive flicker through the spinning prop. Is that what you are talking about? I don’t know if any solution is in the works.

It’s the ASW, Asyncronous Space Warp, that causes it.
Whenever the application (IL-2) can’t maintain 90FPS, ASW kicks in reducing the app to 45 FPS, and extrapolates every other frame to the VR display.
This causes problems with rapidly moving objects, like a propeller.
The solution is to reduce the settings so that 90 FPS can be achieved, or by turning ASW off by using Oculus Tray Tool, or pressing RCtrl KP1 (Right Control and Keypad 1).

IL-2 got a lot more resource intensive with the latest 3.001 update.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s it. I did the Oculus too thing, but it is still happening. I loaded new drivers, made sure my OC was good (4.2Ghz) and tried the tray tool. Still nothing.
Here is something I think might be the problem. In my settings the game is set to 60 fps and I cant change it. How do I do that?

The FPS lock is ignored in VR. Use backspace to check your FPS. Is there no difference when trying the different RCtrl KP1-4?

Wait! Do you have the Rift or the Vive?

Troll,
You Rock. I’m in the CV1. In order to turn off ASW you must first go to game settings in ASW and then turn it off. Turning off the global just does not do it. Once I did this, Wha La! No bouncing sight, no more double vision and now its smooth sailing. I was able to run everything on pretty high settings. I got clouds and shadows on med.
I still see in game the Vsync is locked On and I cant change the fps from 60. I used to be able to
 Uhmm. Anyways, its good for now.

Thanks a lot !!! Back to the Airacobra

3 Likes

Great news @Maico!
Have a look at this mod, for great looking clouds on low graphics presets

IL-2 BOSBOMBOK MOD «High» cloud mod for Low preset.

I’m not a fan of presets. I prefer old school tick boxes for all the settings :wink:

1 Like

Are you saying that the FPS is capped at 60 in VR, or that you just can’t change the setting. Did you test FPS with «backspace» in sim?
My FPS and Vertical Sync is locked in the settings because I have ticked the «use VR HMD». These settings shouldn’t have any effect in VR

You nailed it again Troll. The sim is locked to whatever you set it at last because, as you said, this has no effect in VR. Once I turned off VR and I was able to set it to 100fps. But once I turned on VR, both fps and vsync are locked. So this proves what you said.
That all said, here are my results off line. In a 6 vs 6 engagement, I dip down to 45 fps but maintain 70 to 89 fps most of the time. With smaller battles of 2 vs 2 or 2 vs 4, I am able to see 89 fps mostly continuous. I turned the clouds and shadows to low since it does not seem to matter in VR.

With the mod in the link I posted earlier, I can have high detail clouds, with minimal FPS loss. Looks great too!

FWIW: Bumping this old thread cuz, well, the topic title is closest

Since I have an older system and haven’t touched my nVidia control panel for many driver updates, I thought, why not. Maybe it can help someone else with an older rig.

TLDR; following these steps (note: I only applied the nVidia CP changes, all else has been in place for some time) made things smoother for my test case and conditions below. The reduction in ‘stutter’ (comes into play at low altitude, esp when looking left/right) makes it, well, just feel ‘better’. FPS not noticeably higher but I wasn’t expecting much.

If I had to describe it I’d say the trees (at 500 knots and 150’) only ‘jumped’ a frame or two just prior to going out of view with my head turned to 3/9-o’clock. Before the jump/stutter was much more noticeable. Best I can come up with.

My System
i7 6700K @ 4.5Ghz, 32 MB
VR: Reverb G2
Memory (older DDR4 at like 2300?):

Mobo:

GPU:

Settings | nVidia Control Panel

Followed the advise from this recent video. He has a 3080 but I thought I’d try it anyway.
Note I didn’t watch the entire thing, just the first 1/2 where the settings are
set.

SteamVR

For DCS

NOTE: I bump this up/down to ‘taste’. At 50% it’s still better than my old Odyssey Plus (better lenses) and with all the other settings here the AA isn’t too bad. I can bump it to 75-80 and the AA isn’t noticeable much at all, but it does run slower.

Settings | DCS

Mods
Shader mod

Flat shadows removal mod: Works for 2.7 as it’s just a simple lua mod. This allows you to have shadows in the cockpit and everywhere else (adds so much ‘depth’ to the scene IMO) while reducing the object shadow draw distance. Seems to help but it is still a hit over no shadows anywhere.

Mission

• Syria Map
  • On the ramp at DAN (Incirlik, Turkey)
  • Viper (tends to run a tad bit slower than the Hornet for me; maybe they’ll optimize it now that they’re spending more resources here?)
  • Wx: OVC-2
  • 3 Tankers and a small CV battle group out there; dozen static targets scattered about.

FPS never dropped below 42, mostly 43-45 on the ramp a DAN, which was always a hit on FPS for me. Again though, the entire flight (low-level and fast, cloud-surfing) was a smoother experience.

Didn’t appreciate how many hoops I have to go through until I spit it all out here :thinking:

4 Likes

Since the hind came out I had ramped my 2d settings to the max, to get nicer screenshots. Forgetting to change it back to my more modest settings I flew in VR and was surprised how even though it was crawling along at 25 to 30 FPS there was no real stuttering like we used to get. I asked in the 2.7 update thread if steam vr had got the same fix we found in MSFS 2920 where it was smooth even with 30 fps

1 Like

Not directly related but, that comment mirror’s my experience when XPlane went to Vulkan - FPS wasn’t significantly higher but it was much, much smoother, even below 45 FPS. I know they’re different engines and all but

1 Like