VR sickness

Try to reproduce it in your car. Its a real life effect. When you focus at something close your eyes “cross”. When you look at something distant they go more parallel and that can make close things appear doubled up (and IRL out of focus).

3 Likes

You get used to VR , i cant get bad feelings anymore , strong legs now i think.

But best wow effect is gone too. My brains just know that this all is fake now.

So enjoy your first VR months :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hate to be the one to say this, but the latest medical research indicates that you will never get rid of VR motion sickness. They strongly recommend that you package up your VR headset and send it to me. :wink:

3 Likes

Kids ain’t having that! I picked up a robot version of duck hunt and they are having too much fun.

4 Likes

I think the Rift S’s upper range for IPD is like 68mm or something? How did you measure it, using a mirror and ruler? Not sure if any good (I just dug out an old eye check card, it had mine on it) but there are apps and stuff: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eyemeasure/id1417435049?mt=8

If you are on the edge then eye strain is no fun. There really should have put a physical adjuster that moves the lenses on the Rift S, as the first one had it. The IPD adjuster in the software just changes the world scale, and can’t do anything about a physical narrow or wider gap.

1 Like

So I returned the Rift S today. Bottomline was it appeared with an IPD of 70ish (with a ruler in the mirror) it was going to be an uncomfortable experience. Microcenter gave me the full refund no questions asked, so if anyone is interested, there will be an “Open Box” set for sale shortly…

I think the thing that put me over the edge of returning it was my son said he got a headache also. Not sure VR is good for 10 year olds anyway. I told him I’d get another one in a few years. No telling where the technology will be at that point anyway. Thanks for all the tips and tricks on getting it setup!!

6 Likes

Damn I was about to tell you about the jetseat, the extra sensory input helps a lot, sorry it wasn’t for you. Just think though you have 400$ to spend on something else :grinning:

3 Likes

I had a similar experience @Gunnyhighway, DCS was a bit nauseating while IL-2 really hit me hard. I tweaked all the settings, upgraded graphics cards, the whole 9 yards. I narrowed it down to frame of reference. If my character is moving in the VR, like in a plane, I’m done. Literally a 24 hour hangover feeling if I try to push it more than 10 minutes in VR. On the flip side if my frame of reference doesn’t move, like in Space Pirate Trainer, my character is “static” then I was perfectly fine.

I’m going to keep the the headset, but I ended up getting a Tobii set for head/eye tracking and I’m much more satisfied with that.

5 Likes

Ooh. Say more about that. :slight_smile: How is it and what do you use it with?

The eye tracking is pretty neat even though I rather use it for strictly head tracking. It works really great in DCS, in IL-2 it seems a bit more jumpy. The side to side head movements works really well, you can tune in the curves so that it’s easy to look back, over the wing, or anywhere in between. The vertical adjustment though doesn’t work as seamlessly. When the tuning is just right it’s cool to be able to zoom in and scan from gage to gage seamlessly. When it’s wrong though it just jumps about like mad, so it’s not perfect out of the box.

I never used TrackIR so I can’t compare. I’ve gotten used to Tobii so I like it, but it’s comparable to a full TrackIR set in price.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that 10 year olds are in a perpetual state of virtual reality…at least I was when I was 10 :grin:

5 Likes

Yikes.

1 Like