VR sickness

Just made the leap to VR, and after 30 minutes of DCS I get motion sickness like a mother…

Is this something that goes away? Did you guys have this problem when you first started? I used a ruler to measure IPD and set it accordingly (~70).

I’ve never been prone to get motion/sea sick. Ridden numerous helicopters, been at sea, in rhibs, love rollercoasters etc.

2 Likes

Yeah, I typically have a problem with shooters and free locomotion. It doesn’t take long for me to start feeling queasy when moving around, so have to contend with teleportation in those.
Lucky for me, I’ve never had any problem with cockpit based games.
I think it’s key that you adjust your graphics settings, to maintain 45 fps at all times if possible, and then just slowly try and get used to it. General advise from the internet’s is you should stop playing when you start to feel it coming on, and not try to push through. Most people adapt to after a while it seems :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Usually yes - it is referred to getting your “VR legs”. Some motions will make you particularly prone to motion sickness. The yaw axis seems to be a frequent contributor. Air Car, a popular VR demo, provides a great example of this.

Signs you are getting sick are sweating and sometimes yawning. Sipping on some ginger ale is sometimes a good idea…but taking a break is highly recommended.

2 Likes

Get an optician to do it. Just walk into a shop that sells glasses and ask them to measure your IPD. It’s good to have a professionally, highly accurate reading for that.

You may want to keep away from very wild stuff while you “get your VR legs”. Pick a machine with a cockpit that you sit in such as the Viggen or the MiG-19 that also moves predictably and stable (unlike tha Ka-50 for me :stuck_out_tongue: )

You can ease yourself into doing wilder things in wilder machines. But wobbling about in a Huey or twirling across the sky in a Sopwith Camel are a certain recipe for motion blues if you jump right in.

1 Like

I definitely start getting sweaty. I was drunk the day I set it up so I figured it was just the alcohol.

I’m going to keep at it in short burst. My kids have no problems with it. Even if I can’t get past the sickness I can’t take it back now.

1 Like

Frame rate is the major inducer, IMHO. When my frames lower to less that about 30 fps, it begins to get uncomfortable, especially if your are yanking and cranking down low in something like the Gazelle.

Unfortunately I have the same thing, even without VR sometimes. And when I tested the Rift ar a friend’s house I noticed that I feel it in VR too.

For me it is like this:
It starts with sweating, then it is a bit of headache, then I start feeling sick.
If I push through until I actually feel sick then it will last 8+ hours, so I don’t do that. I usually quit shortly after I start sweating.
Fun fact: I almost exclusively get sick in first person games. Cockpits are OK, but I needed some time to get used to TrackIR.

Factors making it worse:

• dark room (doesn’t apply in VR)
  • big screen (always the case in VR)
  • movements I did not command, such as the head of the player character making a scripted movement.
  • dark levels
  • bad resolution
  • bad frame rate
  • fast gameplay

What helps:

• occasionally looking at a fixed spot, away from the screen (not applicable in VR)
  • making pauses before feeling bad
  • stopping when getting sweaty
  • drinking ginger ale or eating actual ginger

I will most likely get a Rift S in a few weeks. You can already look forward to my “best VR puking” thread. :nauseated_face: :smile:

1 Like

I’ve read some reports that seem to indicate that a bit of alcohol (or whatever) can actually be helpful in avoiding VR sickness. Not sure on the physiology of that, but heck, I’m down with it…haha…

1 Like

I got the Vive not long after release. I’ve yet to experience VR sickness going away. Usually it takes a little time for games that will make me sick to do their “magic”. Once they do however those particular games make me sick quicker in subsequent plays.

I was perfectly fine in DCS till I circled a kill in the spitfire to make sure it was going in. Now I get sick just sitting in the cockpit on the ground.

For me at least the biggest culprit is low FoV. I get sick from some regular FPS games because of this. Usually only single player modes though as multi tend to have wider FoV

1 Like

In DCS, helicopters are the worst for inducing VR sickness.

It is important to just take it slowly. You will build a resistance to it.

2 Likes

I definitely got some VR sickness the first few times I used my Rift, but now it only hits me if I play FPS style games. Teleportation definitely helps in those.

Having a stable chair to sit in helps. If your body can sway or rock around, it’ll contribute to the feeling, I think.

Oh, I forgot to mention:

Skyrim VR: everything was fine when I tried it… until I moved. That game took only seconds to make me nauseous, pretty much as soon as I walked around.

I would recommend waiting with such games until others (like flight sims) don’t make you sick anymore.

1 Like

I’ve only had it a few times. Once in the Gazelle down low over Las Vegas which was probably induced by low frame rate. But another was when I spent around 2 hours exploring the ISS, pulling myself around in (simulated) zero G. SpaceX had just started supplying the station with the Dragon and there is a task to doc the capsule with the ISS. I was having so much fun that I didn’t notice myself losing equilibrium. I had to get out of VR for a while. It was pretty unsettling because it wasn’t just a rush kind of feeling that I had had in the Gazelle. It lasted a while. So that definitely was not frame rate induced, contrary to my earlier statement.

2 Likes

Good to know I’m not the only one. The experience it self is worth feeling uncomfortable though, really game changing in DCS.

do you guys get a lot of double vision when focusing on the HUD or outside objects? Like the hud glass frame and canopy bows and stuff like that?

I haven’t experienced that… It all seems very natural when it comes to focusing on near or far objects. This is with the Rift CV1 though.

Maybe it is natural? When I focus on the close up things like gauges they are clear, focusing on tomcat hud for example, both the canopy bows ghost for me. Maybe that’s how it is in real life with eye dominance and such?

One thing it could be is something called ‘reprojection’. The Oculus version is called ‘Asynchronous Space Warp’ (ASW) and it kicks in when the framerate of the game/sim can’t keep up with the headset.

The headset of the Rift S uses a 80 Hz (e.g. 80 frames a second) update rate. If DCS can’t reach that (which is pretty common) then it tells the sim to go to half of it e.g. 40 fps, and then on the Oculus driver side of things it ‘fills in’ what it thinks happens. It uses your head movements to make a guess on what that missing frame will look like (i.e. shift it a bit right if you’re moving your head to the left etc).

Reprojection or ASW in the Oculus world, is essentially letting DCS run at 40 frames per second but you get to see 80 fps in the headset.

The reason for the double vision on things further away is sometimes because ASW is guessing where something should be, but gets it wrong, meaning your alternated frames shows two things a little off in quick succession.

For DCS in VR on a 1070 you need to hit the ‘VR’ settings button, turn off MSAA, put shadows flat and start from there. Try using settings like this.

Hopefully this means you get less reprojection / double things showing up as the games is providing more frames per second on time to the headset.

2 Likes

Thanks for the settings tip I’ll try that. When I close one eye, everything is clear but off center. I don’t know if it’s just an eye dominance thing or I haven’t dialed in the settings.

1 Like

You’re at the very upper end of the IPD range for the Rift S, so you have to place the headset very carefully, or the outer edges will be blurry to one side or another.
This is caused by your eyes being very close to the outer edges of the lenses sweetspot. Unfortunately that’s a result of the fixed lens IPD of the S

2 Likes