VTOL VR - Border War

Having jumped back into VTOL VR this week I decided to try out the new T-55 Tyro two-seat attack jet. I haven’t had a chance to try it in multiplayer yet…and I’m not sure if the campaign can be flown in multiplayer.

The first mission is a formation flight along the area of operations. We will depart the airbase, join up with the flight lead, be joined by another two-ship for a “show of force” along the border.

We hop in the front seat of the T-55, get it fired up, and take-off to find the flight lead orbiting out over the water…

A lot of people complain that this first mission is fairly difficult since you are required to fly formation with the lead…and he is not very helpful in making smooth control inputs and runs around in full burner. A suggestion I found useful was to dump your center fuel tank immediately after takeoff. This will make your plane less draggy and more responsive to throttle inputs.

I never hopped in the back seat to turn on the avionics back there…normally I suppose there would be another human player back there…

Heading out off the coast to join up with the flight lead…

The head and arm movements of the pilots in VTOL VR are what make the game so immersive. It really does feel alive…because it is…!

Joined up…now to hold position for the next ten minutes or so…

Our lead pilot takes us down to follow the river that delineates the border between the warring factions. You can see one of the bridges across is already severed…we are warned to not cross the border or bad things will happen…

Eventually another two-ship shows up and we have a nice diamond formation for our show of force along the border…

After our brief run down the border we are released to return to base…no shots fired…

Fun little flight in a cool little airplane. I can’t wait to try it in multiplayer and see how the campaign unfolds…

15 Likes

I charging my handcontrollers…

2 Likes

Alright @BeachAV8R!

2 Likes

Mission #2 of Border War logically follows on by expanding on the 4-ship area familiarization flight. Except this time…we are going to use the formation flight to camouflage our true intent…to strike the enemy airbase in a surprise attack.

The briefing runs 8-slides and is well presented with good information…

After firing up we join up on the lead as he heads to the rally point…

We take up a trail formation and run through the valley at extremely low level. This has a very “Top Gun Maverick” feel to it…with the goal of not alerting enemy forces…

After a few minutes of snaking down the river valley…we pop up over the mountain range and attack the enemy air base. This is an interesting mission that unfolds well…with fighters taking the runway and coming off every minute or so. It is to you advantage (obviously) to take them out prior to taking off…

There are also AWACS to destroy…and your wingmen do a good job of providing top-cover for you and the SAM threat is fairly low…

Nice camo…

The final portion of the attack has you take out two supply tents…Maverick missile for those…

A fun and approachable mission that isn’t all that easy. It took me three tries to beat it because…well…I wasn’t being methodical. You can’t change your loadout…and you have two Mavericks, rocket pods, two Sidewinders, and the gun. And there are a lot of targets… So…

Be Smart Michael Rainey Jr GIF by Power Book II: Ghost

2 Likes