VTOL VR - Kill Box

VTOL VR – Kill Box

By @BeachAV8R - July 30, 2020

Originally published at: Articles - Mudspike Forums

Experience the pressure of providing on-demand close-air-support within your assigned “Kill Box” in the awesome F/A-26B.

VTOL VR

As most people are aware by now, I’m a huge fan of VTOL VR – a VR exclusive combat flight simulation/game that provides an excellent mix of gameplay and realism with an emphasis on operating the aircraft using VR hand controllers. If you haven’t read up on it, I encourage you to check out my detailed review published in April 2019: LINK!

F/A-26B “Wasp”

Initially VTOL VR launched with the vertical takeoff/landing AV-42C “Kestrel”, a mixed transport/gunship capable of carrying troops into battle while performing both air-to-air and air-to-ground roles. In early 2018, the developer added the carrier based, air superiority (but ground attack capable) F/A-26B “Wasp” that brought an air-to-air radar into the mix while retaining a multitude of hardpoints that allow the Wasp to carry an enormous air-to-ground payload.

Kill Box

This mission, designed by Shamebird and available in the Steam Workshop, is a single mission with events that occur in a random order. The premise is that you have been assigned an area to patrol (a kill box) where you will work with multiple entities to provide close-air-support and strikes on enemy forces threatening friendly troops. The mission contains a thorough multi-slide briefing with an overview, suggestions on tactics, and a recommended loadout. As a fan of detailed briefings, the use of graphics and text to provide some details was what hooked me on this mission.

Comms and Tasking

One of the things that sets this mission apart is the excellent and immersive communications throughout. The voice acting in the radio transmissions is quite well done and atmospheric. The communications also give important details such as bearings and distances for threats and other items that will help put your sensors on the target. Some searching will be required, but there is a nice mix of detail and ambiguity to the different taskings you will receive. Broad target areas will sometimes be updated in your aircraft map waypoints (like a data-link), allowing you to quickly orient yourself and start working your sensors or perform visual recon.

It’s a workout…

The great thing about VR is the 1:1 head tracking means that combat flying is a physical workout. Twisting your head around behind you, craning your neck, rapidly scanning the instruments and then going back to being heads up – and Kill Box will have you working pretty hard with a mix of in-cockpit sensor manipulation and visual recon. Coupled together with the awesome finger and hand interactions that are integral to the VTOL VR game design philosophy and you have the recipe for a fantastic physical experience that provides a total mind/body meld. Yes – I’m an unabashed VR fan.

Check your fire!

During your time on station in the Kill Box, you will have multiple taskings – some are more time critical than others. Adding to the stress, you’ll spend the whole mission without really knowing what ordnance you need to retain or use, so the preflight arming selections are very important, and being thrifty with ordnance expenditures can determine whether you have enough firepower to last for the duration of your patrol. Also be careful with where your weapons impact since some of the close-air-support missions could result in friendly casualties.

Technically, refueling is available if you need it, but the mission is short enough that you shouldn’t require it – even if you buster around the AO in full burner. As well, the carrier is available to rearm, but with a limited budget and limited time in the Kill Box, it doesn’t factor in to the evolution of the mission. At the start of the mission you can select Daylight, Morning, or Night to suit your preference.

Conclusion

As usual, the VTOL VR user community has come through with great content to round out the already superb stock missions and campaigns. The satisfaction of protecting the friendlies on the ground and getting home to the carrier safely makes Kill Box a must play mission.

Chris “BeachAV8R” Frishmuth

VTOL VR on Steam: HERE

Kill Box on Steam Workshop: HERE

Visit our forums to discuss this article: HERE!

5 Likes

That was an outstanding video!

1 Like

Nice article! I really need to get into VTOL VR but my setup is a little restricted … and I have too much to choose from when it comes to game time :slight_smile:

1 Like

So with respect to the mission editor, is it easily accessible and straight forward to use? Can any player make missions with the editor?

1 Like

I’m not real qualified to comment - but from what I’ve seen on the VTOL Discord channel the editor seems pretty user friendly. Of course, half of any of that is just getting to know what it can do by using it, so I’m sure there is a bit of a learning curve. Any player can make missions, and from what I understand, once you launch VTOL VR in VR mode, you can then open the editor and work with it on your monitor…so that part doesn’t have to happen in VR mode. You can also make your own maps using height map data and stuff (not sure how all that works) and painting tools to make roads, cities, stuff like that.

At this point, with the three vehicles that exist, I’d really love to see the developer focus on multiplayer and adding things like sling loading for the AV-42C, and objects to carry, enemy units, friendly units, and just providing more weapons and objects to populate the VTOL VR missions with.

1 Like

That is very good. Allows the user/player to then be creative with all kinds of scenarios as well as the replay-ability factor of the simulation itself. As a commentator mentioned on MudSpike’s YouTube channel, this is a deeper simulation than originally thought.

1 Like

I wonder if there is any possibility of a dynamic campaign type engine being written using the mission editor. I know nothing of these things, or how the campaign editor works, but I’ve seen some of the cool things that people have done with DCS World with regards to persistent campaigns and I always wonder what is possible.

The problem for dynamic campaigns is that you need to have code understand what happened in a mission and then adapt to that and create a new mission. It is complex. In DCS, LUA scripts can react to a somewhat limited set of items and adapt a follow on mission to fit the designers criteria (ie: customize a second mission to incorporate elements of the first) but this is scripted dynamic coupled with a little randomization. Not sure about VTOL VR but if it has a scripting API, then that can be replicated with some level of success. Byt dynamic usually requires a lot more ‘strategic’ and ‘tactical’ mission development which is harder.

2 Likes

I still hold up Enemy Engaged as a pretty darn good dynamic mission generator that had a great feeling of involving the player. Yes, it had some limitations (mostly with regards to the ground war movement…or lack thereof)…but I still love that you could interdict supplies, do recons, insertions…etc… Good stuff.

1 Like

Just read your article and watched the vid. Awesome! Akin to Kerbal space program for flight sims.
I didn’t follow the link, but can a non-VR user enjoy this sim? Looks like a lot of fun.

Came away with the same impression. It has potential for sure.

Not that I know of - it is pretty much built around VR functionality.