Wacht am Rhein

At least Germans pronounce all consonants, which makes it a bit easier to learn than those languages which do not, IMO.

Or if you are conversing with another person in a foreign language, and that language is not native to the other party as well. I find this especially true with taxi drivers. It’s as if you’ve both decided that the baby talk, sign language, and grunts being used sound very sophisticated to both parties. High fives all the way around :smiley:

I came across this today: https://youtu.be/eMuw_BsfmV4

The house in BĂŒderich that’s mentioned in the Video is the aforementioned Hotel/Restaurant “Wacht am Rhein”

I wonder when Churchill stepped aboard the landing craft did the boatswain pipe him aboard, “Great Britain arriving.”

3 Likes

78 years ago now.

Wheels

2 Likes

PM has an equivelent military rank. Honours carried out accordingly. (As do most civil servants and all elected officials above a certain level).

2 Likes

The battle started 79 years ago today.

Wheels

2 Likes

This time around I’m playing the campaign of Wacht am Rhein with Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive with a friend via email. It’s one of those computer wargames which are at heart board games, with counters to push over a vast map. Only the combat, supply, whatever calculations are no longer in your brain and tables, but done on the computer. We’ll see if I get a glimpse on the Maas this time :slight_smile:

2 Likes