What are you reading right now

I just started reading an old classic…. Nicholas Monserrat’s The Cruel Sea. I haven’t got too far into it yet. The Compass Rose is still being fitted out and the characters are being introduced. I’m thinking I might have to pick up Destroyer: U-Boat Hunter in the not too distant future.

2 Likes

this could work too :+1:

Just finished this, it’s a good read about flying Birddogs in Vietnam. Recommended!

5 Likes

Some new additions to my library.

Summary

This was the original image.

Wheels

5 Likes

4 Likes

Black Aces High is a good one.

Got this at Xmas.

4 Likes

Oh yeah that one’s right up my alley. Didn’t they make a documentary about that?

I read “Black Aces High” quite a while ago and I remember it to be an extraordinarily good book.

4 Likes

hmm have not seen that. They recently made a pretty good (entertaining if slightly changed) TV adaption of the first part of the book. Considering it was BBC it was more like Amazon/Netflix production.

1 Like

Just finished that one, again. That period should fit with DCS though I really don’t know how up-to-date the one we’re getting is (did I just admit I was buying it?).

And…I was flying a test mission yesterday where I had to go to a “Kill Box”, one that had no JTAC - think Easter Egg Hunt.

The Hornet ground RADAR just wasn’t cutting it (I never found the FROG) and, as I was leaning in (in VR), straining to see if that slightly brighter pixel than the rest might be something…I thought about the F-15E RADAR. Yes, that’s what I need. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

here some must-read for F1 jockeys

also the paperback available here

4 Likes

I have one of those plus a different book on Iraqi Mirages at War. Really nicely done. Tom Cooper is a phenomenal author and I have several of his books in my library. Great insight into the issue he’s writing about with a great balance of artwork and photographs.

The other book I have on Iraqi Mirages at War is done by another gentleman who does a nice job as well. Very detailed book with which I would highly recommend. Here are some pics of the book and what’s inside. Much detail in operations and use plus photos with graphics and some really nice artwork.

9 Likes

sounds and looks interesting. unfortunately cant find ebook version of it. I stopped buying paper books long time ago (not really true; I buy good paper books, from time to time, on local bookstore sales).

1 Like

Lots of detail.

3 Likes

I am the exact opposite. I don’t have any ebooks and never will.

That does look good. I just bought it.

I felt the same way for a long time until my wife got me a kindle. I actually prefer digital now for books that I am on the fence about getting, reading PDF’s etc. I will get a paper copy of a book I like, even if I already own it digitally, but I’ve saved a lot of shelf space over the years on stuff I was “taking a chance” with. Also being able to throw my kindle in my bag on a long trip and have a couple hundred books to read versus being able to pack 2-3 at most is great.

3 Likes

For me it’s about having something tangible in my hands, sitting and reading it comfortably in my favorite chair. When I was a kid, my mom always took me down to the public library every other weekend where I would pick out several books to read and just fell in love with books. I would go to bookstores as a kid and just browse for hours etc., my grandparents, when I would visit them always took me to book stores and let me pick out a couple of books to have. I just love books. I can see the utility of electronic versions of books like in a kindle and I do red pdfs obviously for stuff I’m researching online but I am so weary of having everything on a computer that I just need time and space to have some sort of privacy away from electronic devices.

3 Likes

I like both methods, and I was reluctant to switch years ago but my eyes are aging - I’m not, just my eyes :grin:

Got 200 analog books on the self next to me and twice that on my I-Pad now. Love the convivence.

2 Likes