What DRAM to buy

I’m finally upgrading my Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus Wi-Fi based system from 32GB to 64GB. “It has four memory slots for up to 128GB of dual-channel DDR4 RAM, which can run up to 4400 MHz when overclocked.” All four slots are currently populated, so I will be replacing all, as I probably should regardless. I usually buy Corsair.

Recommendations from the SPIKE cognoscenti please.

1 Like

I’d be careful with RAM that runs at higher frequencies than 1800MHz (DDR4-3600), especially since AMD can still be a little finicky sometimes. I run 64GB DDR4-3600 CL17 G.Skill Trident Z (without LEDs) and it’s been a very stable experience the past 3 years. If you can get a set of 64GB DDR4-3600 CL16 or CL15 that’s what I’d choose. You can’t go wrong with Corsair RAM but G.Skill has been rock solid for me as well. I’ve used both in the past, never had any problems.

2 Likes

I run my 4000-rated sticks at 3800 for stability reasons.

2 Likes

Did you have to do any manual tuning to get them stable?

Nope, there was too many values that I didn’t really know the meaning or relations of so i just changed the big number in the XMP list down a bit.

2 Likes

Guys, what’s the feeling on quantity of modules vs capacity? 4 x 16 or 2 x 32 better? I suppose if you use 2 x 32 you leave 2 slots open for expansion (probably won’t happen on this build).

EDIT
I asked Copilot:

The answer to this question depends on several factors, such as the memory capacity, speed, rank, and configuration of the modules, as well as the performance requirements of the system and the applications you run. Generally speaking, there are some trade-offs between using more memory modules or fewer larger modules.

One advantage of using more memory modules is that you can enable dual-channel mode, which allows the memory controller to access two modules simultaneously, resulting in faster data transfer and improved performance. However, this requires that the modules are matched in capacity, speed, and rank, and that they are installed in the correct slots on the motherboard12

Another advantage of using more memory modules is that you can increase the memory rank, which means the number of 64-bit memory banks on a module. Higher-ranked memory can allow the memory controller to access different ranks independently, reducing latency and increasing bandwidth. However, this also depends on the rank configuration of the modules and the motherboard’s support for multi-rank memory13

One disadvantage of using more memory modules is that they can consume more power and generate more heat, which can affect the stability and lifespan of the system. They can also limit the overclocking potential of the memory, as higher voltages and frequencies may cause instability or errors13

One advantage of using fewer larger modules is that you can leave some slots empty for future upgrades, which can save you money and hassle in the long run. You can also avoid compatibility issues that may arise from mixing different modules from different manufacturers or batches13

Another advantage of using fewer larger modules is that you can reduce the electrical load on the memory controller, which can improve the stability and reliability of the system. You can also increase the overclocking headroom of the memory, as lower voltages and frequencies may allow for tighter timings and higher performance13

One disadvantage of using fewer larger modules is that you may miss out on the benefits of dual-channel mode or multi-rank memory, which can have a noticeable impact on some applications, especially those that are memory-intensive or latency-sensitive. However, this may not be a significant issue for most users, as the difference in performance may not be worth the extra cost or complexity13

In summary, there is no definitive answer to whether more memory modules or fewer larger modules are better, as it depends on your specific needs and preferences. You may want to consider the following factors when choosing your memory configuration:

• The total memory capacity and speed that you need for your system and applications
  • The memory rank and configuration that your motherboard supports and how they affect performance
  • The power consumption and heat generation of the memory modules and how they affect stability and lifespan
  • The upgrade potential and compatibility of the memory modules and how they affect future plans and options
  • The overclocking potential and reliability of the memory modules and how they affect performance and stability

I hope this answer helps you make an informed decision. If you want to learn more about memory modules and how they work, you can check out the sources I have cited below. :blush:

1: Are More RAM Modules Better for Gaming? 4 x 4GB vs. 2 x 8GB | TechSpot 2: One large ram module or two smaller ones? - Super User 3: Optimal RAM configuration: one large DIMM vs multiple smaller DIMMs - Super User

2 Likes

Agreed, go for 2 modules for better stability, and if you buy a good set (3600 CL 16 or lower CL), it will probably be dual-rank so then it doesn’t cost any performance.

If 3600 CL 16 is too expensive, you can go for CL17 or slightly lower speed (3400) but still CL 16 or 15.

2 Likes