What is the top 4 motherboard manufacter in quality and performance builds

Hey Guys,

I am wondering what you guys think are the top 4 best motherboard companies today. I figure we should consider design, Quality and performance would be good to start with.

This is just a genreal what you guys thoughts of the top 4 motherboard manufacters today… or if you have a good youtube video on whay one company is best I would definetely check it out…

I used MSI,Asus and ASRock in the past never had issues with any of them but I was wondering if you have a top 3 or a goto company. I am asking here as I regard your opinions over just some random topics on the net…

I figure most here have been simmers and gamers of some magnitude so I would like to get feedback from this community.

Appreciate any insight and thank you for the replies :wink:

EDIT: Also would any model be of better quality and how do you know which one is the better quality like say Asus Strix vs Asus TUF, plus I usually go with the z series chipsets…

2 Likes

I think this can partly go like the AMD vs. Intel/Nvidia debates and brand loyalties and I say that as a loyal ASUS customer - I always recommend and use their boards. My first PC I built for myself was ASUS and I was really happy with it, and it never had issues. Since then whenever I am building a PC for myself or others I still recommend them as I know their UEFI design layout by having it myself as well as working with their website for drivers and UEFI updates so offering the inevitable support to the friends and family is easier when you are already familiar - since you will forcible have to deal with differences in hardware generations between various people’s computers anyway.

I don’t think you can really go wrong with any of them and the other major player not yet listed is Gigabyte. Each has had issues with something and each has their own type of niche boards that the other doesn’t make a match for meaning if you have a specific need you may find you have to pick the team the has it regardless of preference.

The last thing that has kept me with ASUS if that I found they they have the clearest & best translated product pages and documents out of the brands. These companies are based in Taiwan, so it seems a lot of the information was not written English first - which is fair for international companies in another region, but English is the only language I am technically literate in so that really makes a difference to me!

My ASUS Builds

My first build - TUF Sabertooth P67 B3 (Still running - sold to a friend)
Current Build - ROG Maximus Formula XI (Z390)
My Home Server - TUF Z390 Pro Gaming
Previous Home Server Build - H97 Plus (Retired due to lack of needed IO for updated build)
My Dad’s PC - TUF Z390 (I forget the specific model)
My Brother’s PC - TUF Z790 PLUS WiFi DDR4
My Borther’s old PC - TUF Sabertooth Z77 (Retired as platform is out of date)

1 Like

well if you like Asus I see you also like using the TUF boards any reason you choose them over say Strix?? I just trying to get a feel if it is the manufacturer or the model of the board that matters most…

Like on my ASRock I posted my specs on another forum and the poster stated he would avoid ASRock at 100% of the time…

So it prompted me to make a post and see what other users here thought about the top companies…
Also how would one know the model of the board one bought would reference better quality parts or whatnot…

There is a lot of marketing buzzwords like anything else, but reviews are useful if you can find one of the same model or model family. I am a fan of LinusTechTips on YouTube (since the video style has matured since the start of COVID) as well as Gamer’s Nexus - GN especially goes into what for most would be an excessive level of detail. Wendell from LevelOneTechs also seems to review AsRock boards here and there - the channel is mainly server tech based.

Motherboards are also a bit like cars in that to get the top specs parts you kinda have to bite the bullet and get the premium models many times, but not always - depends what you are trying to do. For example, to drive a top-end CPU like a AMD 7950X or Intel 13900K you should have the beefier VRM’s of a premium board.

Onboard audio may not matter to you if you use a USB headset or other audio device like a PCIe card.
I like boards that have Intel ethernet chips as well - but that isn’t always specified in the specs.
Intel will get you 2.5Gb ethernet on new boards - Realtek is 1Gb or 2.5 iirc. There is also high end boards with Aquantia (Marvell) 10GbE. WiFi/Bluetooth is nearly exclusively Intel based as well as I recall these days.

Mostly just for the features. My Maximus Z390 board came with a VRM water block - I don’t use it, but the board had the correct number of M.2 slots that I wanted, that did not disable PCIe slots to use both (that many boards do - mine disables two SATA ports - which I am not using anyway) plus it came with tons of USB ports on the rear IO which I wanted because I have had bad experience with flights controls connected via a USB hub. So I wanted direct connections, I even got USB extension cables to facilitate it.

For the current server, the TUF board got me the PCIe and M.2 connections I wanted, and was available in a version without WiFi - which I don’t need in a server. All my PC’s are wired and I use only use the WiFi/Bluetooth chip on my gaming rig for the Bluetooth for Xbox controllers.

TUF won out for my Dad’s PC as again he did not need WiFi being in the same room as the router, and has that same connectivity to move him to all-SSD in future, and the price was really good. The same followed for my brother’s new build, and fit the color scheme of black. At this point too, with his the newest, I know exactly what to expect from a TUF board and I have to build & support it so the go-with-what-you-know mentality is a big factor. (I also work in IT, so that bleeds over from the business side of things.)

My first build I thing it was a shot in the dark pick, I fell for the “Military Grade Components” marketing spiel and it came with a certificate of quality in the box (what a gimmick looking back!). My brother’s first build came shortly after mine and so I think that was a matter of “it worked for me and is stable, so we can make the easy choice here”. Obviously it has snowballed.

AsRock was originally spun off from ASUS around 2002 if you look up the history. Their website has turned me away from them in the past because it wasn’t as clear as ASUS - it gave me a “cheap” vibe, which may be partly the case (they seem to have more lower end boards in my stores) but not saying that is bad. I know a couple of people with AsRock boards and haven’t heard of any issues.

AsRock also has a server division and those have to operate 24/7 and are reviewed pretty good. In fact, the backup server in the office at work is a AsRock Rack board and it had been chugging along 24/7 excluding power outages since like 2016?

Part of the thing to know about that industry too is the companies are all geographically close and the engineering skills are pretty unique, I have heard people tend to rotate between the companies to an extent. As well, the UEFIs are done by like one or two companies and just re-branded and modified to suite the hardware on the board. There is certainly lots different between brands and components still but more is similar than most would think.

In a summary type of note - I have not heard of any boards that have been particularly bad. Perhaps a bad value - but that is a different question.

Have you had any issues with your AsRock board?

I also agree with the edited initial post to go with Z series chipsets for Intel. Unless you are building a cheap PC, with like a low end H chipset. Despite Intel always saying they have the mid tier (B760 this time iirc) I always find that when it comes to retail pricing, there is hardly any money saved. A lower end Z board is likely cheaper than the B board anyway since it moves more units, and is then likely to go on sale - matching or beating the B board’s price. Z chipset + K series CPU also meant that even without overclocking, the CPU can be told to run at peak turbos longer than the default and in some cases - indefinitely. That basically made overclocking obsolete.

1 Like

Well, I am unsure if the problem is realated to my ASRock board per say but one person noted it maybe as ASRock uses how should I say cheaper quality parts or maybe better design?

If it is electronic interference is it from the board or GPU or even a failing PSU. But I was getting some electronic interfearence/feedback in my Headset when using TS3 and the test mic option?? which one poster said it maybe the board.

So I am just trying to determine amongst the top board makers is there a big difference in the quality of parts used in the different makes.

I know some boards are very spendly like 400+ and some other board you can get for less then 200USD… Why the big difference is it because the more expensive or different models use better quality parts?

Sometimes the really cheap boards skip new tech. So for example they may have omitted PCIe4 when that was new, or PCIe5 now. Same goes for Intel still offering DDR4 support. The newer PCIe5 and DDR5 have higher signal integrity requirements, which requires thicker boards with more PCB layers and also more precise engineering of the copper traces - which all adds to the cost.

The high end boards also tend to include quality of life bonuses like: dual BIOS and/or BIOS flashback, CPU-less BIOS upgrade (for example, allowing you to buy a board for 12th gen Intel and update the BIOS to support 13th gen CPUs without needing to have a 12th gen CPU just to do the update), debug code 7-segment LCD displays, and better audio shielding can be one as well. It leads to the cost snowballing.

I can’t speak to your specific audio feedback, but my board did exhibit some annoying popping in the audio which turned out to be caused by latencies in the audio system caused by the Realtek driver at the time. You’d need to isolate the issue as well - like do you have the same issue doing a mic test in Discord? Does the feedback occur without a mic check? - Some headsets offer “sidechannel” where they play back the mic to the speakers so you can hear yourself still with the headset on. Can you test a different headset on your PC and your headset with a different PC to isolate the issue?

1 Like

Well I was just checking in TS3 and was not getting the noise issue. I checked my Addon Soundcard a Soundblaster Z and the noise gate was enabled and on High, I then turned off the noise gate and the feedback/static returned.

So that issue I think is solved but the main thing that started me on this quest was when I ran GPU-Z Render test I was getting coil whine on the GPU but then noted when talking on TS3 they would also hear the siren sound/coil whine noise and it was loud…

So I was trying to determine why I was getting coil whine and it seems to be a common occurance with the newe video cards.

I just did not understand why the noise was still there even if I muted my mic… I just tested it and I can hear the coilwhine in my headset when on mic test recording myself…

I was thinking maybe cheap quality board or similar but still not 100% sure what causes that noise to bleed through when running the render test on GPU-z…

I am EXTREMELY disappointed by my Asus board always trying to force some sh*tshow of a piece of software down my throat via UEFI. Asus Armory Crate or something. Shows how they want it to be vague and hazy.

I don’t care if it’s an RGB driver or whatever, software always has to be opt-in. Got a strong chinese keylogger vibe to it. Try to find out what it does. Found no complete documentation.

Sure, I can switch it off in the UEFI. But on the next update, with a settings reset, it’s back and magically and silently installs itself on my Windows again.

It’s a No-Go for ALL Asus products in the future for me.

2 Likes

I have nothing I could add to that advice other than, I have never had a problem with any ASUS product. They are usually my starting point when I am looking for replacement hardware.

EDIT: But after reading the above post (it beat me by a few seconds) I will rethink that stance.

Currently have a TUF gaming monitor, but the motherboard is an AsRock and it has performed flawlessly. When I built this PC about three years ago I wanted a small form factor PC… basically: 540 chipset, M.2 slot and micro/mini ATX. Based on reviews at the time the AsRock offered the best value for dollar by far and I don’t regret that decision.

2 Likes

I’m really surprised to read that. I’ve had Asus motherboards for the last 15 or so years of building my own rigs. I don’t have one now because I bought a ready overclocked bundle.

However, I never had an issue with software. I suppose it may depend on settings or what you let it install to start with. I only install drivers, no updaters or optimisers or similar stuff. I do my own updates (if I have an issue with what I have) and my own optimising. I also use my own info progs like SIW or HWiNFO. I never agree to any prog doing anything automatically unless there’s no choice - and then I’m wary if I don’t know exactly what is going to be done.

My first post reads more angry than I am. Sorry for that.

What they do is an unsolicited installation of something I don’t want or understand. It happens directly after Windows is started. Happens very quickly.

It must be part of the UEFI specs to allow vendors to do that. I can’t explain it otherwise.

There’s a huge FAQ for it, but still no word about ALL the things it does.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1041654/

You can switch off the silent and forced installation in the UEFI settings, but I think it really should be off by default.

There’s a de-installer you can download from the Asus website nowadays, but it did not exist when I bought this AM4 mainboard in 2019.

I wonder if all modern mainboards do this? Usually I get a new one every 4 to 6 years.

For my next purchase I will definitely pay closer attention to that. And return the board if it does something fishy like that.

EDIT: Here’s a nice summary. Applies to all boards as far as I know: ASUS Z390 Motherboards Automatically Push Software into Your Windows Installation | TechPowerUp

3 Likes

That’s interesting. Thankfully my Z390D is a Gigabyte board and I’m very happy with it! Since Core2Duo the only board I’ve had other than Asus is Gigabyte. I would recommend them to a friend :slight_smile:

I also have nothing against MSI.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @Poneybirds , good info!

I am currently also using a Gigabyte B550 (AM4 socket) motherboard. Not using any proprietary software except regular drivers. I use OpenRGB to control the RGB lighting of all my devices in one open-source program.
I remember having to send this one back to the store as the first one was dead on arrival but they quickly tested it and sent me a new one that they knew booted with my CPU and RAM.

Used ASUS board before (Z97-K) with no issues. That one is still going strong, seeing daily gaming use with my youngest brother.

My girlfriend is also on a Gigabyte B550 board, as is the pc I built for my other brother.
I built my dad a budget simming pc on an ASRock B650 (Intel) motherboard, as it was the cheapest reasonable one at the time.

As Wes says:

Just think about all the features you want, read the manual before you buy and don’t buy severely underpriced parts from aliexpress.

Ah just when you finish reminiscing on the reliability of your brand decision and then it comes out that your brand of choice has fallen from grace and pulled a bit of scum-baggery. Steve from Gamer’s Nexus here has another excellent piece of journalism on the matter relating to recent issues with Ryzen 7000X3D processors burning out, which was possible with any boards due to a firmware fault from AMD, but also was more likely and severe with how ASUS had implemented it.

Then to ice the cake, MSI gets knocked off the good list with their own issue:

2 Likes

Interesting, mine didn’t do that (Pime X570-P). I don’t intend to ever install that bloated piece of nonsense on my system.

Per another thread, I spent a week seeking and applying advice given here to resolve boot (and other issues) with my new ASUS mobo. Turned out it was them, not me. Walked it back to the store and got a Gigabyte board which worked perfectly right out of the box. Before returning the board I called ASUS and they agreed that the issue was likely a physical problem with the board. I would recommend avoiding them, at least for this Intel/AMD generation.

3 Likes