What is this?

As I am going through my late parents’ stuff I am discovering interesting things, most of which I have been able positively identify. But there were a few that took a bit to figure out. That gave me the idea for a new thread - “What is this?”, figuring that the mental cornucopia that is Mudspike, can identify just about anything. :slightly_smiling_face:

So to kick things off, what is this?

I think it has something to do with de-magnitizing a CRT/old style color TV tube…Dad was an EE so something he might have had.

2 Likes

a degaussing tool makes more sense than my original guess, a coffee cup warmer :smiley:

Actually it might be an antenna

1 Like

I’d go for antenna as well.

Looks like you got it. Google “degaussing ring” or “degaussing coil” on images and a similar device comes up.

2 Likes

Antenna that plugs into a wall socket? :electric_plug:

2 Likes

found it Color TV purifier/degaussing tool

4 Likes

That makes sense! My Dad used to work on our color TV. Thanks.

So…probably shouldn’t power it up around my hard drives.

EDIT: I like the “Convenient clip for hanging on back of set when not in use.” Alas the clip was not found. Probably still on the back of the TV set.

2 Likes

Some more info here too, it even has a picture of the same device with a pink housing:

2 Likes

Too cool.

I recall that when the might ship USS GUAM went through degaussing, a couple of TVs had distorted colors for a while.

1 Like

Sorry… Was at my phone and screen is small. :smile:
Didn’t notice the plug!

1 Like

Cool!
Older CRT displays used to have a Degauss button…

1 Like

I used to press it just for the great noise. DUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. :slight_smile:

3 Likes