What we podcasting?

Gall dang, Malcolm Gladwell and his brother nearly had me in tears on this one about sponsoring refugees. So many refugees then and now …

Funny anecdote, after listening to that podcast I had to pick up a load of lumber from a mill we deal with a lot. The heavy forklift operator there is always barking orders at me as to where to go and what to do. Gruff as heck but I’ve learned to love the guy because he unloads and loads me quick and precise! Today I asked him, “What’s your name anyway?”. He said, “Dan”. I said, “How do you spell that?”. He said, “D A N”. LOL! I said, “Where you from?”. He said, “Vietnam”. I gave him a thumbs up. He told me he’s travelling to Vancouver tomorrow to see his family and gave me a fist bump. I think we have a good working relationship now. :smiley:

1 Like

Binged Liza Powel O’Brien’s “Significant Others” podcast today. History podcast and REALLY interesting. Only three episodes so far about the spouses of Tolstoy, Gandhi and Lincoln …

2 Likes

Pretty much binged all of “Fly on the Wall” with Dana Carvey & David Spade over the last week or two. Classic SNL mayhem. I knida got tired of the SNL skit formula of finding a funny premise and then repeating it ten times but funny none the less. Impersonations through the roof, especially with Darrell Hammond! :slight_smile:

1 Like

China scholar Michael Beckley says China is engaged in the largest military buildup since World War II, and is being increasingly aggressive with its Asian neighbors and with the U.S.

A very interesting podcast of an interview which took place the other day. I’ve already bought the book myself. About 36 minutes and there is a transcript in case you prefer to read instead.

‘Danger Zone’ author warns of growing tension between China and the U.S. : NPR

3 Likes

Journalist Jesse Eisinger says a trove of IRS data acquired by ProPublica shows that many of America’s billionaires avoid paying any taxes — sometimes by claiming big deductions from posh hobbies.

I listened to this one today.

How the ultrawealthy devise ways to not pay their share of taxes : NPR

3 Likes

Listened to the third and latest episode of the Lex Fridman podcast with Elon Musk today (Episode #252). Definitely the best of the trilogy …

1 Like

Oh man, if you’re a Paul McCartney fan or even if you enjoyed Peter Jackson’s “The Beatles: Get Back” on the Disney+ channel, you’ll love this “Fly on the Wall” podcast with Dana Carvey and David Spade …

… and here I thought their last interview with Lorne Michaels was excellent enough! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Holy cow. Forget about Barry Seal … they REALLY need to make a movie about Roger Reaves … a series even! Unbelievable stories! I think the biggest plane he ever bought was a DC-7!!! …

Five and a half hour podcast and IMO, way better than the interview he did with Lex …

2 Likes

This was a really great listen, and Robert Evans does a great job communicating a lot of things I’ve been thinking and reading about the last few years- and unfortunately seeing more and more in issues related to my work and research.

3 Likes

This was pretty interesting and eye opening episode of this podcast.
“Vader” a Viper Driver tells of his trials in trying to setup Combat scenarios in The USAF Simulator and trying to convince The Brass into trying DCS.

There’s a lot of Real Life background noise in this one so if you’d like to just hear Vader speak of DCS skip to 53.00 into The Podcast.

3 Likes

Wow. That bit about how they tried to get DCS into training mirrors closely my experience with training I tried to push 20 years ago; I “just did it” anyway -cus I wanted my people (I was a low level manager at that time) to never get in a complex situation without ever having experienced it:

So I spent hours every day on my time developing it. The “system” was too inflexible (my agency and the corporation that sold the original package); here’s a small, dedicated, team (1 person in this instance) with both job related expertise and IT knowledge (enough to prove the concept anyway) and outside my tiny sphere I got crickets. Likely for similar reasons-bloat.

1 Like

Oh Wow.Very Interesting,I do understand that there are legal contracts and tons of Red Tape that do come into play here.
But leaders need to listen to more people like you Who have a true understanding of what your team needs and faces and the shortcomings of the current training program.

I don’t understand why the leadership of The USAF F-16 Community would be so closed minded to The "DCS/Training idea when The USANG A-10 Community have been using it for yrs with great success?

My opinion of course but it’s about the contractors as much as the bloated hierarchy in the organization. In their defense when you grow above a handful of people it’s just inevitable the “thing” will spend all its energy just supporting itself.

Then there’s the “old school”ers who dont see how round wheels would benefit; “square ones have worked just fine so far thank you”.

Jus

2 Likes

And you say that like it is a bad thing. :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

Wheels

1 Like

Rogan interviews Ryan Graves, Rhino driver and one of the Navy personnel that’s spoken openly about seeing UAP’s/UFO’s/whatever in the working areas off the Virginia coast.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up … listened to about 2 hours so far on the way to my first stop.
Translucent spheres with black cubes inside? Fascinating! And not only off the Virginia coast!!! Dang things are everywhere!

EDIT:

I should expand on my comment for people that don’t have Spotify … ever since the military has been using these newer AN/APG-79 radars, they’ve been picking up these UAP’s wherever they’ve been operating! Like, a lot of them, all the time … and they’re basically just a safety concern for them at this point. Since fighter jets aren’t scientific devices and fighter pilots aren’t scientists, Ryan Graves wants actual scientists to get off their asses and study these things! :smiley:

1 Like

It would be a bit like studying the Tooth Fairy.

2 Likes

Take a hike @smokinhole. :wink:

Since telling @smokinhole to “take a hike” :smiley: , I listened to this Smartless podcast with guest Joe Biden! …

Totally non politico. :wink: (if you want to skip the fluff, go to 5:40)

I can’t find anything online to suggest that Nolan is not a serious and respected scientist or part of the tinfoil hat brigade.

Not a podcast and Fox, but I would be interested to know what Mudspikers think of this?

1 Like