Whats the min altitude you bail at?

instead of crash landing and exploding I have be trying to bail out more often! anyone have rules what height/min height to bail at?

1 Like

With second world war tech level?
800ft minimum if possible. (Just a guess I have no clue)

1 Like

Reminds me of what Abraham Lincoln answered when somebody asked him how long his legs were; “Long enough to reach the ground”.

2 Likes

It’s not just altitude, it’s also speed. If you’re in a dive, better be high. If you’re in level flight, you’ve got more time and can bail lower. If you’re climbing, you gain even more time and can get out fairly low.

I always try to nose up and climb before I bail to give myself more time, unless I’m really high already.

I can’t recall if I’ve ever bailed out under 500ft successfully, though.

2 Likes

All depends on the situation. I’ve bailed at 25000 once and bailed as low as 0. Even if you die it still counts as a bail if you pulled the handles right? Lol

1 Like

Here is a real world incident where the pilot discusses bail out parameters.

Wheels

2 Likes

…and now I’m over here with Blood on the Risers in my head…

He counted long, he counted loud, he waited for the shock.
He felt the wind, he felt the cold, he felt the awful drop.
The silk from his reserve spilled out and wrapped around his legs.
And he ain’t gonna jump no more.

3 Likes

I seem to recall a jody from my NROTC days…

If my reserve don’t open round
I’ll be the first one on the ground

2 Likes

OK, we’re gonna need this story.

No specific story, it was just the “C-130” formation run jody.

Let me see…

C-130 coming down the strip
Recon-daddy goin’a take a little trip

Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door
Jump on out and count to four

If my main chute don’t open wide
I’ve got a re’serve by my side

If my reserve don’t open round
I’ll be the first one on the ground

I assume “Recon-daddy” was a reverence to Recon Marines since it was USMC sergeants running us around Little Creek

…and now the lot of you will have that running through your heads for the rest of the day…enjoy… :grin:

6 Likes

I have at times survived crashes I thought would kill the pilot, and then bailed out afterwards. No embarrassing splat. So if you’re low, and slow, and have a modicum of control, bailing may not be the best option.

2 Likes

JediMaster has it spot on - I’d add the caveat that if both wings are on, it’s not on fire and I have elevator control I prefer to try and belly land it in a field rather than jump.

1 Like

so recommended is 1000ft but 500ft seems to be very close to the minimum

thanks for the vid had not seen that one

When I flew motor-gliders for the UK’s Air Cadets, the minimum altitude for bailing out was supposed to be 800 ft. Realistically, if the airplane is uncontrollable and plummeting to the ground, what have you got to lose?

5 Likes

:wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Not quite bailing out, but a static line jump at 500’ gives you about just enough time to think you’re going to die (you’re about 1.5 seconds away from hitting the ground when your chute pops). Then the chute opens, and you either PLF correctly or you break something. A freefall jump from 500’ is a little better as you can pop your chute as soon as you’re clear from the AC, but again you better on point with your PLF if you don’t want injury. That low your reserve is there to give you something to hold onto in the last second or so before you auger in, as there is no way it’s going to be able to deploy and save you.

1000’ is workable, and you are FAR less likely to sustain injury due to having actually had some time to slow down to a normal landing velocity before you touchdown.

4 Likes

anyone else notice that pilot jumps before crew?

Yes, 1946 was the same. Have not tested it in Great Battles but in 1946 even as the Player you could not bail unless you were the pilot.

Wheels