Whats your system?

Probably not. I’ve had the 2400MHz memory for quite a while so I don’t really know. That’s probably the answer everyone will give you about memory. DDR2, DDR3, DDR4, whatever. Memory speed has always been a mystery for as long as I’ve been building computers … like 30 years. :slight_smile:

It seems to make a difference in the benchmark numbers above though. I also get a warm and fuzzy feeling when my memory usage approaches 16GB and I know I have that extra 8GB to back me up.

1 Like

I’m actually thinking to try and Waterboarding my CPU so it runs faster.
Like whipping prisoner of war manning Roman Galeras? :smile:

New user restriction thingy, I’ve changed it on your account.

Welcome to Mudspike @B12! :mudspike:

1 Like

I finally got around to benchmark my PC.

UserBenchmarks: Game 148%, Desk 170%, Work 132%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K - 117.2%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 173.8%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 137.4%
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 369.1%
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3200 C14 4x8GB - 114.9%
MBD: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)

Got a laugh out of this:

Overall this PC is performing way above expectations (92nd percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 8 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components. This PC is likely operated by a technical master!

Or by someone who has a lot of knowledgeable friends, and know how to google… :wink:

2 Likes

So…coming back to this:

User Benchmarks: Game 110%, Desk 93%, Work 71%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K - 78%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 - 136.2%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 106%
SSD: PNY SSD2SC240G3LC726B104-327 240GB - 75.7%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB - 138%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB - 44.2%
HDD: Hitachi HDS724040KLSA80 400GB - 32.9%
HDD: Hitachi HDN726060ALE614 6TB - 112.9%
RAM: Team Vulcan-1600 2x8GB - 28%
MBD: Asrock Z87 Extreme3

Where is my weak spot? I mean, what does 28% for RAM mean and should I be addressing that? And if I did upgrade at some point to a 2080 ti or something in the future, would it make any difference? Or should I be looking toward a whole new mobo/RAM combo since this rig is going on a few years old?

So a couple of things to unpack here -

First, holy hard drives Batman! Does that thing bang and bounce like R2D2 when it starts up?

So first a word about the scores - the scores are how the particular component compares to other owners who have also benchmarked their pcs. So it is useful to think of the scores not as a metric of speed or power, but as a way to view your component as ahead, or behind, the current curve of components in use out there.

So with that in mind it is not surprising to see that your highest scores are the 1080, the Evo’s, and 6TB drive. The 1080 currently only has one model better than it (we will leave Titans out of this), The Evo’s are considered the best enthusiast SSD’s, and the platter drive is getting a grade based on its capacity, which is bigger than most people are rocking.

On the other end of the scale the memory is getting a bad grade due to the 1600 timing, and the 4770k is in the middle as it is starting to fall behind the number of 8700ks and so on out there. Again this is not saying those are bad components and are not pulling their weight for you, but more and more rigs in the pool are moving up to better processors and memory combos. It is a good indication of where you should be looking next.

I would not attempt to upgrade the RAM via type, manufacturer, or timings. You will get very, very incremental gains for a lot of effort. Your memory’s current speed is a function of the processor it is mated to. It is working, and as long as you keep the 4770K it should stay where it is. You should always view your Processor/Memory as the combo it is.

You could wait for the 20xx cards to come out and buy the latest and greatest but I think you would see only incremental gains there as well. I could be wrong, we haven’t really seen them yet, but my feeling is that your 1080 will still beat a 2060, be comparable to a 2070, and only be beaten by 2080’s and above. Substitute whatever the actual Nvidia numbering ends up being if its not that, but you get the idea. You would get the new rendering tech built in but then you would have to play games that make use of that and I am not sure that is a reason to get a card right away.

Having said all of that - it wouldn’t solve your Processor falling behind. I know, I am rocking a 4770K as well. Games are every bit, and some very much so, Processor speed dependent as video card reliant. XPlane will eat all of the Processor power you can throw at it and still ask for more.

So lots of words. Sorry. Your Processor and memory and mother board are where you would be looking next. From there you would be ready for a 20xx next year when the cost stabilizes.

It is not an easy upgrade. The other stuff can be just plugged in. But for this you are looking at a reinstall. You could plug the board in and let the HAL sort itself out, or image and put the image back, but if any problems arise later on with Windows or games you will always be adding the 'changed the hardware mid stream" backstory to any troubleshooting you do. That’s even less fun than reinstalling.

Hope that helps Beach, and these opinions are solely my own yada yada ymmv and so on.

2 Likes

Great info there Tankerwade!

What’s your opinion on uP’s? Are the games/flightsim’s taking advantage of multi-threaded processors?
DCS in particular.

I’m looking to up grade too (in near future) and wondering where to spend the money on.

All processors come with multiple cores now. Its a function of the 5 ghz wall they have hit. So they embed more cores and expand horizontally in place of vertically.

Most games don’t use multiple cores. But some do and will in the future, and they are useful for other programs that you may be running while simming.

For me the rule though is Ghz over cores. Get as high a processor clock as you can. 4.5 ghz and four cores is preferable to 3.8 and six cores. I am not a over-clocker but I get why many do it - Grunt clock speed is where its at.

2 Likes

Cheers Tankerwade. Appreciate the advice

1 Like

No, no…that was all great information and I appreciate the detailed response! And yes, if I upgrade, it would probably be a whole system upgrade perhaps since I would be going to a clean system. I’m putting that off as long as I can and holding on to the hardware because it DOES seem to be working really well. Just looking toward the future-ish (say a year out).

Thanks again for all the great info!

1 Like

Thanks for that detailed post (again). I’m still trying to figure out what I should do, and as a non-tech savvy kind of person, the mixes of motherboards, RAM, and CPUs are pretty confusing. I also need to be careful when I upgrade to buy a case that fits my needs with regards to USB slots on both the front and back.

I’m thinking about perhaps building a new rig (ugh…I actually don’t look forward to that) and moving my current rig to my wife’s desk. I actually wish I could buy a prebuilt system that is 2080 ready, but buy it without a GPU and move my 1080 into it for a half a year or something until we see what shakes out with the 2080s.

With some room for improvement, I humbly submit this report:

UserBenchmarks: Game 158%, Desk 109%, Work 115%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K - 118.7%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti - 222.4%
SSD: Micron_M600_MTFDDAK1T0MBF 1TB - 71.3%
SSD: Crucial MX300 1TB - 108.1%
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C14 2x8GB - 102.2%
MBD: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (WI-FI AC)

BOW DOWN BEFORE MY 2080ti’s AWESOMENESS! :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

Did you build that or buy it prebuilt? I’m in the market for a prebuilt…but maybe with the next chipset and 2080 ready. I’ll move my current rig with the 1080 to the other desk and make that the kids and wife computer…

That’s a spicy meatball… Nice!

1 Like

It started out prebuilt from Falcon NW, but this year, I’ve replaced everything but the power supply and CPU cooler. So, it’s a home built now. That Micron SSD is the bottleneck. Will probably replace both drives with 2 GB Samsungs at some point.

1 Like

Thanks ff. I would have not upgraded had I owned a 1080ti, but from a 1080, it’s a nice boost. Way too much money though. I sold a drone, so had some funds sitting in the hobby kitty.

two questions:
How badass is that 2080ti?

How much do you want for the 1080?

I ordered a 2080Ti at release, then i cancelled the order and now I am thinking of ordering one.

I’m thinking of a i9-9900K build and just starting from scratch now. I can’t decide. As I have two PC mad teenage offspring that can ‘hunger games’ for my PC to replace their own, so it’s not like I need to sell stuff.

I’m also really tempted by a Pimax 5k+ in the New Year, so thinking of that as well.

Adding it all up causes me to have to expand a column to see the resulting total in Excel, so each time I just delete the spreadsheet in shock and move on.

I am in upgrade paralysis.

6 Likes

See Chipwich. This is how it starts.

2 Likes

Hey…when you build your’s throw your parts list at me because I’d like to as well. I was waiting on the i9s as well. I have a 1080 (not a Ti) but am considering going with the 2080 as well…maybe…

2 Likes