Where You Are Photos

At a retirement party…and guess who is here… Bob Swain, pilot of the infamous A-10 Chopper Popper

5 Likes

5 Likes

I really like it so far, very entertaining and even the more technical bits are not too difficult to understand if you have a little knack for science.

I actually completely forgot I ordered it so it was a nice surprise when it arrived. It seems Amazon Germany started shipping them on the 1st of June.

I always get a kick out of seeing the Link Trainer in the atrium at the CAE training center, DFW.

7 Likes

There’s one at CAE OSL as well. Love the little things! :slight_smile:
I wonder why they have the wings and control surfaces… Was that so the instructor could see the control input?

1 Like

On a stopover at Bodø, where the Norwegian Aviation Museum is. I try not to miss an opportunity to visit, and to take in the atmosphere…

When RNoAF pilots died, during the WWII, their squadron mates had tin cups made. These are from 331 Squadron.

The Dragon Lady.
When Francis Gary Powers was shot down, he was on his way to Bodø.

The coolest F-5 livery, ever! :wink:

This propeller blade from a RNoAF P-3B Orion had an encounter with a Russian Su-27 Flanker…

11 Likes

That’s a nice Tiger.

1 Like

Sneaked in a ride at lunch time. I’ve got three races coming up and I’m just not getting enough seat time…

5 Likes

B
L
O
O
D
Y

H
E
C
K
!

That’s textbook definition of “Too close for comfort”…:fearful:
Suddently Top Gun’s inverted canopy-to-canopy flight is much less impressive.

1 Like

A piece of another blade broke off and embedded itself in a vacuum cleaner inside a closet in the cabin of the Orion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope the Norwegians requested the Russians for a replacement vacuum cleaner!

2 Likes

A strange event in England … What the rest of the world calls “a nice day” … Something which seems to be getting very rare

7 Likes

Received a nice award at our annual MedCenter Air ceremony yesterday. So despite my awful flight sim flying I do an OK job in the real aircraft on occasion…(don’t forget, as Captain I only fly 1/3 of the flight…less opportunity to screw up!)

11 Likes

A…HELICOPTER…? :flushed:

Congratulations! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah I guess @BeachAV8R was given the safety award because he doesn’t fly helicopters and therefore was safe in their operation ?

Or maybe the award was for advising the other helicopter pilots of the benefits of PULL FOR POWER

8 Likes

Yeah. I think the rotor side of the outfit put together the awards and I’m sure they were giggling as they wrote my name across the helicopter…grrr…

2 Likes

I gotta take my Rift into the rotor pilots lounge one day and fire up some of the DCS modules and record their reactions. It’d be interesting for sure…

1 Like

Congrats Chris! Was that for a particular event or that you failed to bend any metal or scare anyone for a long period of time? :wink:

It is usually something exceptional. I received the award 15 years ago when that PT-6 blew up on us. Typically it does not go to the fixed wing side because the helicopters do receive a lot of the glory (rightfully so…what they do is way, way more dangerous and to stay safe doing that really is an accomplishment). I think the Harvey and Maria deployments were what earned us the award (I say US because even though my name is on it, I accepted it on behalf of all of fixed-wing because I feel it was definitely a group effort). It was nice to be recognized and I gave a shout out to our maintenance department and the hospital for providing with good equipment because that is really what contributes to a safe operation. It sounds corny, but it really is an all-around team effort…

5 Likes

Outstanding and very well deserved all round!

1 Like