Where You Were Photos…blasts from the past

Thanks for sharing @Franze! That P38 is very cool. It must have been a thing back then. My Grandfather served in the RAF during WW2 as a MT Diesel Engine Mechanic. For all the years I remember as I was growing up, he had a brass Spitfire on his mantle piece over the fireplace. When he passed away, the Spitfire was given to me.

11 Likes

What year was he at Ft. Riley? My Dad was stationed there and I was born in Salina, Kansas in 1971…

1 Like

I have a bunch of old family photos from my mother’s side that have been digitized… Some interesting ones are in the collection.
A RN warship from the 1920’s…

The Blitz…

My Grandfather before the war…

Newly commissioned.

During the war.

The R101… probably on it’s fateful flight.

14 Likes

my condolences :rofl:

2 Likes

I believe this would’ve been 1942; his draft papers are still around which would specifically say.

1 Like

A long long time ago…

When EB Games was Babbage’s…
Jane’s Combat Simulations had Half that Store…

15 Likes

Ok, here you go… (apologies for the shocking quality)

Starting one of the port engines (starboard already running)

Starboard engines going…

As I said, its awful quality compared to nowadays.

The thing that stuck with me was the noise, which you get a taste of in the video.

With four Merlins going, props inches away, you couldn’t hear anything else. My dad was stood down by the Nav position behind the pilot, shouting into his ear, he couldn’t hear me. You could feel the power of the engines resonating through the fuselage even after they harmonised the props.

12 Likes

Good grief, but that sounds glorious keets! I bet that you could feel it in your chest.

Amazing photos @PaulRix. Thanks for sharing.

Depending on where you lived, they were never Babbage’s

Electronics Boutique

am aware, some places had both before they merged

Enjoying Afghani day with our own SF protection.

IDF vs heating unit.

Fuel truck with Taliban symbol.

2 Likes

This is what I should be doing this weekend:

Three years ago(?)
Watching the start clock at a Sprint Enduro. Heart rate is about 120 just sitting in the start gate. Peaks at about 180 - 185 during the race.

I’m 51 today.

5th place in my class; not bad!

13 Likes

A free virtual beer to the first person to guess which Island this is. :grin: :beers:

5 Likes

Iwo Jima?

5 Likes

Lingshan?

And we have a winner! That didn’t take long lol. Although these days the Island goes by a different name.

And the JSDF personal might be alittle bored…

10 Likes

Cheers AndyE. Since I own a brewery (at least for another month), I’m going to pass my winnings on to 2nd place, @WreckingCrew. Cool pictures.

3 Likes

Hope it all goes well, @chipwich! I can certainly attest that my own beer drinking has skyrocketed since being housebound 7 days a week, haha - so the demand should be there!

Here the local liquor shops had to close initially but are now allowed to distribute by delivery - so presumably the breweries must be open to refill the supply chain.

1 Like

Thanks Bearhedge. We had a good call yesterday planning the next few weeks. I went to a local brewery yesterday afternoon, with a mask on, to scout their pick up sales. Pretty much was like ours, but they had a neat online ordering method, something that I wasn’t sure that we are allowed to do. Looking at our sales numbers for yesterday, we had a pretty good afternoon. So, going forward, it will be determining how lean we can run, while still brewing, canning, and building the drive up business. I can’t go into details, but it looks like or distributor won’t be placing orders for 2 - 3 more weeks. They are hurting because they lost all of their bar and restaurant business overnight. Typical supply chain stuff.

5 Likes