Who's Online?

As you may or may not have noticed, the main ‘Latest’ or ‘Category’ pages now have a wee listing up top of who’s currently gazing at the forum. I thought this would be useful for people using the ‘Chat’ thing, as it’s nice to see who’s about or not.

Here’s an incredibly moving depiction of it working, in-case you missed it:

From a privacy aspect I thought we could throw it up there and let people say what they think of it. I am very happy to not enable it if people aren’t comfortable with it. If you don’t want to reply here then just PM me or @staff and say that way too, keen to hear what you think.

Currently it filters out robots :robot: like Google, plus level 0 users (sometimes spam accounts) so if you see anything weird looking (no, not an F-111!) then do let me know.

3 Likes

Nice. Now I can stalk people!

4 Likes

I’m down with it bro

1 Like

I like it! :slight_smile:

Is it declared to all the world or only logged-in users?

3 Likes

Doesn’t matter to me either way. Not like this is a scandalous place. Mostly.

Users who are not logged in will see who’s online.

1 Like

I guess I’ll make the meek argument of, “Given the acknowledged main purpose of, ‘let’s see who I can chat with’, why does anyone not logged in need to see who is currently online?”

EDIT: and perhaps follow that up with, “Is there a reason why we would want people not logged in to see a tally of who is online?”

Just playing devil’s advocate.

3 Likes

1 Like

I can tweak that. When I get near a proper keyboard we can try that out…

1 Like

When not logged on, stick a big picture of an F111 over it, then when they see an awesome aircraft, they will want to log in…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind the ability to collapse it so i didn’t have to see pictures of F111’s :joy:

1 Like

Ok, we and it are now hidden from people not signed in. Hold down CNTL to sneak until you cursor change to any eye and think of us like a Dishonored DLC pack or something. :eye:

It sure looks cozy in here, I hope anyone’s not claustrophobic - if you are, just ‘mouse over’ the list to get a breath:

I’m now curious if we can break it - what happens when it reaches the right-hand side of the page. I’m expecting something F-111 related! :f111:

3 Likes

Now people can see just how much time I spend here :sweat:

2 Likes

I’m not lurking here all day, i just leave a tab open, yeah, yeah that’s the ticket, I just leave the tab open all day

4 Likes

Only other people that are here too though. They are just as bad. :slight_smile:

I am resisting the urge to put the ‘pacman dies’ sound play event when someone leaves the list.

1 Like
2 Likes

:slight_smile: That kid and rollercoasters…

I don’t know if I like this now. It feels so crowded and busy in here. Normally I feel like I am alone in here, kinda taking on the deadshifts. Slowly tidying up the place, posting interesting stuff on the message board. Enjoying a cup of coffee, that kind of thing.

Now there are suddenly 10 other people doing the same thing. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE.

Anyway, busy stuff. :wink:

2 Likes

I do the same thing when I see icons I don’t recognize

2 Likes