WiFi adapter capability

One last thing, and I can’t stress this enough from long years of pulling ethernet wire:

Pull two to four more wires than the one you need while you have the wall open.

You will thank me later.

2 Likes

This may be the single best advice I wish I’d ever gotten.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice. I haven’t made an Ethernet cable in maybe 15 years so the advice is awesome. I made some 60 ft cat 5 so we could play halo on a LAN outside of fallujah in 2004. Com guys weren’t too happy I “acquired” a massive roll of cable, but the guys appreciated network. Some epic matches powered by a generator and ghetto TVs.

1 Like

At microcenter, do I need cat 6? Or will cat 5 work?

1 Like

Cat 5.

Cat 5e if they have it but you don’t need 6

1 Like

More for LAN I’d imagine, although fibre internet is a thing for a lucky few in the cities.

Cat5e is probably best value (don’t get plain 5). Cat6 is same potential speed I think (1000 Mbps) but thicker to prevent interference. I guess if you’re feeling flash with the wallet then go crazy. :slight_smile:

EDIT: tanker sniped! (do what he said…) :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you are planning to crimp your own, Cat 6 will make you regret this thread altogether.

It’s for industrial applications like @fearlessfrog said with much thicker sheathing, which makes it decidedly unfun to work with for no gain in performance in your home.

2 Likes

This thread is funny, because I just subbed a CAT6 job that started earlier today. Heading over to inspect the rough-in this afternoon if the crew finishes in time.

2 Likes

So the rough in is fine. Its wire. If we are dealing with any fluorescent lights its cat 6 all the way.

But definitely confirm the testing after termination. Hands get tired and efficiency drops.

2 Likes

Micro center hooked it up. I got the connectors for the wall plate that snap down because it looked like it would be easy.

Thanks for the advice again guys.

5 Likes

I think we’re good now. Thanks boys!

6 Likes

See, Mudspike would look great with adverts! @BeachAV8R Kai’s college ain’t cheap you know…

2 Likes

I am really happy you went for physical connections. You may not notice, because its the absence of an absence but you will never get jammed by the next door neighbours’ badly shielded microwave oven, never get slowed down by your router having a shouting match with the one across the street and never wonder why you were promised a zillion giggerbitses and only get 50 on the very best of days.

If you now get connection troubles, you can smugly tell your ISP that yeah you put in cat5e and no nothing changed in its setup or situation. They will be awestruck and extra motivated to get your bitses flowing again.

Also: right in time for the big il2 patch! expert timing there m8!

1 Like

Well done Sir.

1 Like

You must have had the million miles stare while typing this…

1 Like

I am

NOT

Jealous.

No sirree.

Its definitely a ways off from the 56k “You’ve Got Mail” times.

1 Like

Your ping to the backbone is a bit high at 11ms. :smiley: I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I see a 2ms there.

Nitpick post of the year! :+1:

2 Likes

Does this work for you LB? :smile:

speedtest

3 Likes

Time to bust out the ruler, I mean YARD STICK!

3 Likes