Woodworking bench

Whoa. Your callsign is chosen very aptly lol!

impressive darth vader GIF

1 Like

beautiful job - kudos
SNAFU on “better the second time around” though…

1 Like

Odd one & not sure if hits is allowed here, (so if a mod could let me know I’ll remove the post)

Is anyone located in continental US that might be able to forward a home depot order for me?

got some ‘green flavour’ tools I’d like to procure that aren’t available down under (for whatever stupid reason)

DM me if you’re interested, happy to renumerate you for your time/effort
(barter goods/services or cash…)

thanks in advance

cheers

2 Likes

I just got a bit of a steal at Bunnings…they had a clearance sale of a handful of miter saw + stand combos for $250 (150 eur), normally that would be $1000+ for that kit.

Bosch blue range GCM 8 SDE with the T1B saw stand. I’ve been on the fence about which miter saw to get for a couple of years, that made the decision easy :smile:

7 Likes

Straight into trying out various cuts :grin:

6 Likes

Nice!
You could probably shave with that piece of wood! :wink:
Very neat cut…

2 Likes

I’m pretty happy hehe…of course now I “need” to get a nice good quality angle gauge to calibrate the settings…but given I’ve basically saved so much money by buying the saw on the cheap, I can buy it with the leftover money! Right? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Jelly! My miter saw is a beast, but definitely a b-quality beast. It spat out a bit of wood destroying the guiding laser mounting (a bit of plastic).

2 Likes

Dang! Yeah the laser is a nice to have, hardly a must - I didn’t even realise it had it until at home. I still walk the blade along the mark before cutting, that way I know it’s right.

1 Like

That is an interesting question and I’m delighted to present Professor Troll from the Higher and Very Advanced School of Deceptive Economics, who has kindly agreed to answer it for you:

Typography Yes GIF by Mat Voyce

4 Likes

great tools and benches boys! as I am nearing completion of my garage I will need also one bench. something simple, universal and not moving. have already some ideas.

here photo of almost finished shelf units and finished flooring. I guess @jross is going to approve color of the floor :smile:

6 Likes

Those cuts are amazing. My woodworking skills are not worthy of such a fine saw. Glad that it is capable hands!

2 Likes

? Works for me.

didnt you mention that you just started volunteering? :fire_engine:

Oh…dang, I’m slow today. And our trucks are all that funky lime-yellow color But, Yes, I did. They call me the Siren guy now…

Short story:
Me an my neighbor (whom I got to volunteer with me), went to what tuned out to be a pretty large brush fire - at 0300 in the morning!

Now remember, neither of us has had much, if any training (cus there aren’t many left to train us), and never had a need to operate so much as a fire hydrant before in our lives.

So we race out there, lights flashing (we were in the smaller ‘brush truck’ they call it), and the occasional car goes by opposite direction, flashing their headlights. Randy is driving and I think, hmmm, must be fireman groupie/fan - it could be a thing, right?. Couple miles later we both realize - we don’t have our headlights on! Ding, ding. That’s strike one.

Strike two. We pull down a dirt road and up behind the other big trucks, everyone’s got lights going, pulling hoses - standard stuff. Our windows are rolled up too during all this. Over the radio I hear, and I’m para-phrasing, “teel dem rookies to shut off their dang siren!”.

Apparently there’s a time and place for this and we were slow on the update. And I have no idea which switch does what on the panel full of [poorly marked] switches between us. Two monkeys humpin a football.

But some nice lady brought us all biscuits and coffee!

And nobody got hurt.

9 Likes

A couple of years ago, I bought a colleague’s old 0.5 inch router on the cheap - nothing wrong with it but he wanted one with soft start and speed control so wasn’t using the old one anymore.

Most of my stuff I’ve just used the 1/4 inch router I bought new, so didn’t actually end up buying a set of router bits for the half-incher until recently.

I still don’t have a project that would really need the grunt of the beast but I was weighing the best ways to hang some shelves tonight and ended up playing with the big router a bit.

Holy heck. That thing is a beast! I did think that 1700W sounded like a grunty tool before firing it up…but it wasn’t really until it started carving a path through the scrap wood that I got properly scared. It barely slows down when it hits the material.

Horses for courses…it weighs a ton and in most cases the 1/4 inch shank router or even a wee trim router will be more handy and easier to control…but I got a pretty good muscle car adrenaline kick out of running grooves with that bad boy :smile: Kind of scares the heck out me, though - it takes no prisoners. You don’t want to be flippant with that thing.

9 Likes

Reminds me of the Plasma cutter I bought a few months back. In that it’s a bit scary to use. Your bit is much higher quality though. To badly quote Miles Davis, that’s a nice groove you got going there!

3 Likes

Nice power tool!

I don’t want to put ideas into your head…but I’ll make an exception! :wink:
I’ve been toying with the idea of building one of these:

4 Likes

That looks really interesting… :astonished:

It fits that router model too. Thanks for pointing that out, that’s really cool!

2 Likes

Holy cow that is cool!

1 Like