X-Box..?

@BeachAV8R Get the switch. Yes they wont be able to play with their friends, But you wont have to have a conversation about why little Johnny got they latest Call of duty and they can’t have it. If your kids only have a WII they the switch will be perfect. In a few years when they are older then get the Xbox or whatever… Also not being able to play with their friends means they wont be on it all the time.

If you decide to go the Xbox route, you will need a Xbox live pass($65 a year I think) to play online. Remember that. But the game library is huge. I think there are quite a few lego games and some sonic as well as other kid friendly games.

Online interaction is hard to control unless you are there with them the whole time but even then.

2 Likes

OK - pulled the trigger on two Switch consoles today. Not really any sales running on Nintendo Switch, and I’m worried they might get harder to get as we get into the full holiday shopping thing. Toy R Us in the town next to us had them in stock, so I got one red/blue one and one grey one for my son and his cousin (or psuedo-son). I also picked up FIFA 18 for $29 each and will put Nana on the hunt for cheap, age appropriate games.

I like the idea of saving the X-Box for when he is a bit older (truth be told, I’d rather he get into PC gaming)…

Thanks for all the input and thoughts. I’ll be sure to film them opening their presents on Christmas Day…!

Hmm…now…what should DADDY get for Christmas?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

https://smile.amazon.com/Xbox-One-X-1TB-Console/dp/B074WPGYRF/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511793643&sr=1-2&keywords=x-box%2Bone%2Bx&th=1

2 Likes

2 Likes

So these two Switches are great. But man, PC gaming has spoiled me for game prices (of course, I usually buy things on deep discounts). Switch games are pretty pricey for the most desired titles. And I have to buy two each time. So far I’ve only bought some games I’ve found for $5 to $25 or so…so I’ve gotten off easy. But when they find out about Mario and Zelda, I’m gonna face some kid pressure… :smiley:

Make sure they see them, but then make sure you have an enormous list of chores that need to be done to get them (eventually). As a kid I remember absolutely craving certain bits of hardware or an expensive game. I had to do a lot of car washing, lawn cutting, even grades in things I sucked at, but it was pretty sweet when the day arrived.

The trouble I have with my kids today is one of motivation, as in they have it pretty good, so when they want something, as in really want something, then it’s actually pretty unusual.

3 Likes

omg I am having the best time with mario / zelda. It has been a long time since I was thrilled with a console game. I enjoy the heck out of pokemon (not competitive, just find it super fun), and even the last one on 3ds wasn’t a huge win in my book, though it was pretty good.

But these two games, man. I’m a bigger fan of Mario, and this one is just A+++ so far. Not being a huge fan of zelda, I got it anyway because everyone is all hyped on it being the best thing since sliced bread, and I am definitely impressed. It makes an impact for sure, which is rare for a game. I mean I like my PC games, and these don’t come near the wow factor of VR, but they are super awesome.

Your kids are going to be obsessed I think, so I echo frog’s sentiments. Make sure they earn them.

1 Like

Will Zelda be OK for a near 8 year old and 10 year old?

Should be. You’re fighting corrupt robots, pig and lizard monsters, skeletons of said pig and lizard monsters, the occaisional evil ninja, and some smoke-tenticle monsters. There’s no bleeding, when enemies are “killed” they poof into a cloud of smoke. I haven’t run into any of the stuff that scared the crap out of me like the ReDead in Ocarina of Time and I’m bout 90% through the story.

Here’s a montage of the combat to decide for yourself.

2 Likes

Can you share digital games on the switch? I only have one, but creating the kids accounts linked to my own under parental controls it should be possible if your account, or the one you bought the game on is on both consoles. Just a possibly money saving thought.

Good choice on the Switch. We have one. We also have a PS4, but I hardly play it. It’s more my son that does. We have few violent video games. My son and I do play Insurgency on the PC, though.

I’d get rid of my PS4 tomorrow if I thought I could get what it’s worth.

1 Like