X-Plane 11 VR Optimizations

Not that I need more distractions from my DCS VR flying (or DCS flying in general) but I did give X-Plane a quick flight with my new HP Reverb and the performance was not nearly as good as DCS (in fpsVR, my CPU response time was in the read quite a lot and the graphics card was touching there every now and then).

I went through a couple of youtube videos on DCS optimization and was wondering if anyone had any resources handy with something similar for X-Plane.

1 Like

I donā€™t have any resources, but could certainly use one as well. My only advice is that HDR seems to be a particularly needy resource in X-Plane.

Iā€™m interested in this too @Fridge, as never really get enough performance out of XP11.

One thing I did try is using with some success was 3jFPS, as it adjusts the scenery complexity on the fly to try to maintain a more steady framerate. Works well in VR.

Thereā€™s also that Nvidia inspector - switch ā€˜threaded optimizationā€™ on or off game, that I am still unsure what the herdā€™s advice is. It seems some plugins tank performance unless it is off, but Iā€™m pretty confused at what the current state is.

1 Like

X-Plane has always been unplayable for me unless I turn off ASW with the Oculus Diag tool. That simple step makes a massive difference for me. But I have suggested it to others and they werenā€™t nearly as enthusiastic as I am about the fix. Soā€¦YRMV

1 Like

I pretty much have up on Xp11 in VR.
I can play DCS in VR just fine but in X-plane even on potato quality the frame rates are not very good.

2 Likes

So I tooled around a bit in X-Plane todayā€¦mostly to reaffirm what I thought was my experience. And that is that I seem to be pretty OK with 20FPS in X-Plane for most operations and it feels fine to me. I donā€™t know why that isā€¦but 20FPS in VR in X-Plane feels pretty fluid to me. Even in the Seattle area I hit down around 16FPS and though it isnā€™t the greatest in the world, it remains playable.

1 Like

I know I have mentioned this before but, even more than ASW, the mouse pointer for whatever reason really slows X-Plane down. Back in the days when I flew with HOTAS and mouse I had a button setup just to turn off the mouse pointer when I didnā€™t need it. This freed up at least 5 fps for me.

3 Likes

Hmmā€¦lemme give that a whirl and see if I can see some improvement. I will say one thingā€¦X-Plane is an odd beast. You make a change or two in the menu system and then GO BACK to the same settings you had, and you sometimes end up with wildly different FPS. I donā€™t know what is going on thereā€¦but Iā€™ve had times where Iā€™ve moved the HDR slider and had vastly different results. Probably best to reload the sim after making some changesā€¦but sitting through the three or four minute boot up time is agonizing.

3 Likes

Similar things happen in DCSW. I can fly around just fine but the moment I open a simple 2D menu to change some keybindings the sim grinds to a halt for seconds.

But yeah, X-plane is even weirder.

1 Like

Wanted to give X-Plane another go in VR, what with the Air Mail Trek event happening but I could not get my VR controllers toā€¦ work?

So, the right one could select things and such, but the left one would do nothing. I opened up the Joystick Config area of X-Plane to see if it would offer a hint as to what was happening and, I guess it did. If I selected the Left WMR Controller, it would only show actions of the ā€˜Rightā€™ one (ie: Moving the stick on the left controller would elicit no response from the axis display, but using the stick on the right controller would). The inputs were swapped? I selected the Right WMD controller in the dropdown and, sure enough, it would only show inputs from the left controller.

Something must be messed up with my X-Plane install, or the latest X-Plane patch mis-configured the inputs and I canā€™t seem to recover. I will try again tomorrow.

Has anyone seen this before?

One of the recent X-Plane updates changed the default X-Plane VR hand controller assignments and it is maddening. I havenā€™t really worked on a solution yetā€¦I just hit buttons until I find what I need, but I was so dejected that I just used the mouse. Iā€™ll dig back into it here in a bitā€¦I just hate relearning something. Iā€™m sure it is as easy as remapping stuff, but I sorta feel like the screwed up a good thing with the way it was.

1 Like

Ok. So I am not crazy. Spent a few minutes verifying my right from my left :slight_smile:

Yeah. I am going to keep action X-Plane paused for the moment. I have enough things that require re-configuring that I donā€™t need it to put me off.

1 Like

I have had a similar problem to the one @Fridge describes but in this case the confusion was on my end. It is easy for forget which controller I am working on. Properly done, and sorry but this explanation is extremely obvious, select say the Left Controller for edit. Once that is done do not use the Left Controller to select any options. Use the RIGHT controller as your mouse and make a final check that is in fact the Left Controller that you are working on. Once that is done, select the Right Controller for editing and make sure that you use only the Left Controller as your mouse. And remember that some X-Plane VR commands must be assigned to one of both of the controllers. I usually make the thumbstick (touchpad) on my flying controller the trim while keeping the other stick as VR teleport. One button needs to be zoom and one button needs to be reset view. For much better performance, make sure that the real mouse (the one next to your keyboard) is disabled in the X-Plane VR settings screen.

2 Likes

This is good gouge and will save me some time when I sit down to do this.

So in my case, I was able to use both the left and right controllers as cockpit interaction controllers - I could point with the green laser and select dials and such. Now, only my right one functions in that capacity and the only things that changed were Windows updates and an X-Plane patch. And I canā€™t find anywhere in the X-Plane configuration section where I can assign those functions (or edit those functions).

I am using the touch controllers in their ā€˜basicā€™ configuration with no aircraft mappings (ie: trim).

What I describe as the weird left-to-right swap is this. When I select the left controller in the dropdown menu, if I move the thumb stick on the left controller I get no visible response from the left/right, up/down motions that would be displayed on the x-axis/y-axis indicators in the configuration section. If I move the right stick, I see indications of that movement in the x-axis/y-axis indicators for the left stick. I have not even started mapping anything yet, just verifying that selecting the left stick means I can see responses, and I donā€™t.

In my case, I select the Left Controller for edit and then move the controls to see if the axis displays change as I move the controller stick.

But I think that I am digressing from my original problem: I can not use the left controller to ā€˜touchā€™ intractable elements of the 3D cockpit in VR. I can do this with the right controller but not the left.

Can I hijack this thread to ask about crashes with my add on areas. Anywhere I have orth scenery either created myself or downloaded. Any pointers most appreciated

You might be able to see what is causing the crash in the Log.txt crash logā€¦it will probably be something down toward the tail end of itā€¦ That file should be in the root folder of your X-Plane install and is generated each time you start X-Planeā€¦

1 Like

@Fridge. My only further recommendation is to start with a fresh controller profile. This way you can be assured the X-Plane has only reassigned the ā€œhatā€ and trigger it needs for VR GUI manipulation. Call that profile ā€œtestā€ and then make sure that ā€œtestā€ is the profile attached to the plane or helo you are currently flying. Now go back to the controller settings and assign stuff as you see fit. Just be sure that all of the X-Plane-required functions are placed somewhere among the two controllers.

1 Like