X-Plane Ortho4XP Guide

Not really. The only benefit of leaving them with the default naming is that when your scenery_packs.ini repopulates they will be at the bottom of the list (where they are supposed to be) rather then the top. As long as you manually edit it so that the orthos are at the bottom of the list you should be fine.

Iā€™ll check in a mo - just downloading the HD mesh for each tile from here:

http://cdn.isdg.com.au/downloads/xp10_hd_mesh_v3/

Ortho4XP is v120b (I got it from the link to xplane.org in the OP - the files in the ā€˜updateā€™ folder were exactly the same as the ones in the download, time, date, size and all)

This is how it downloads:

Thatā€™s what I did originally - Iā€™ll have another look. The video didnā€™t mention anything about the tiles directory.

I found another video that looks much more detailed and I will follow that procedure instead.

I was using the Lunaā€™s World tutorial, but now looking at the Explain X-Plane one, it looks much more detailed and includes the HD mesh, which Lunaā€™s doesnā€™t. Iā€™ll delete the link to Lunaā€™s Tute in my earlier post - donā€™t want anyone else using it and having trouble!

Ah - I did read that first, in fact - but I assumed the vid would be the same advice and used that whilst actually using the prog. I must have missed the bit on the tiles directory in the post.

Hot damn! 42.5GB in total (9 tiles at level 17) :scream:

Thanks for your help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Okay, thanks! All working great, laddy, aye! Mind you - the overlay has now gone AWOL, but I can sort that out.

They must have very heavy power lines up there!

1 Like

+1 I just followed @fearlessfrog 's steps at the top of this thread and was in business, multiple videos might have conflicting advice.

Check the order of things in scenery_packs.ini. you need to have custom scenery (airports etc) first, then the yOrtho4xp_overlays directory, then the zOrtho4xp_xxxxxxx individual tile directories last (but above the HD mesh if youā€™ve got that). If the tile directory has gone in at the top then it will stop all the other stuff from being displayed.

Yes - but what I meant was, the entry itself is AWOL :slightly_smiling_face:

This is a great link for me personally CP. I lived at RAF Woodbridge as a child and have wonderful memories of Suffolk. Dad flew the ā€œgreat bloodyā€ Voodoo out of the Twin Bases with the 81st during the Cold War. I often return to the area in P3D with Orbx scenery, but alas, the bases are not depicted. Looking forward to trying some Ortho4XP here.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just downloaded the area, too - my old man was at Wattisham from '75 to '77. I returned for a nostalgia visit a couple of years back when touring with Mrs Brix on the bike. Couldnā€™t believe how much Ipswich has changed.

I often drive by the Norfolk bases as well, though they are much less busy now - I think even the F-15s have gone, but we regularly have the SF Ospreys flying over our house here on their too-ing and fro-ing.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen decent scenery of Wattisham. The FSX one was dreadful, with the tower being the only building, and that was in the middle of the runway!

2 Likes

Question for Msr. @fearlessfrog, if one were using a mod manager like JSGME, and one would install HD mesh before Ortho4XP tiles and overlays, would not said tile mesh overwrite the HD mesh mesh (sorry) giving one the ability have HD mesh installed widely, while still being able to use the new tiles? Iā€™m probably butchering the concepts and bludgeoning the terminology, but hopefully you get my drift.

For my first area I made tiles for Atlanta, +33-085, using ARC at ZL 17. The resulting tile folder size was around 7GB. I also made the overlay using HD mesh and added the libraries and w2xp objects that @fearlessfrog recommended.

I think that the results are definitely an improvement on the default scenery and there are a lot more that I can recognize, especially the roads and major landmarks.

Atlanta Midtown - highways and major landmarks are perfect. A few too many adobe colored roofs though.

Stone Mountain - the worldā€™s 2nd largest rock behind Uluru. I can make out a lot of important features like the main hiking trail up the west face.

Closed Stone Mountain Britt Memorial Airport, where I have about a third of my takeoff and landings. It was charted as 2700 feet, but with trees at each end and large rough displaced threshold areas, it was more like 1700 useful. Cheap rentals and gas, rocking chairs on the porch, college girls lying in the grass reading while their boyfriends did touch and goā€™s - it was a fantastic little oasis for the newb pilot on a budget. Ice cream cooler too. Anyway, it was closed much in the way that Meigs went. The rumor was that it was going to be developed for condos, but when that didnā€™t happen the county gave it to an RC club. Man, I miss that place. Easy to find for student pilots, with Stone Mountain next door. That rock did play tricks on your compass though.

2 Likes

For Ortho2XP the AIPilot HD Mesh is only used for overlay data, not height map. The elevation is fetched as part of the tiles building, and itā€™s the triangles setting. The HD Mesh is not used while XP11 is running if the built layers have been put higher in order (as they should). In XP10 the roads etc were poor so the ones in HD Mesh were better, but it might be worth just pointing the overlay source at the default XP11 Earthnav set, as it is probably more recent or just as good.

So in summary (3rd Magharita in, chicken pecking at screen here), HD Mesh files just used for building tiles, and for that just overlay and not elevation data. They are still handy to have, mainly if you donā€™t want to build tiles for everything, as still better than default.

2 Likes

I installed my local area yesterday and spent the evening flying around it.

Whilst it is a big improvement on the default scenery, it was still very disappointing. I was able to use roads to navigate, even though most of them looked nothing like the real ones, they did roughly follow the correct routing.

There were many roundabouts on the scenery where, IRL there arenā€™t any - and some of them looked really awful, with lots of extra bits on them that just donā€™t actually exist. I was able to find my house, and my old house, but the vast majority of it was 2D satellite imagery, with no 3D models except the odd few trees, and where there were actual 3D houses they were usually in places where there arenā€™t any IRL!

I also found that, despite RAF Coningsby consisting of just the runway and taxiways etc, with not a single 3D building on it(and what are American Airlines MD80ā€™s doing there?!), my local GA airfield of Fenalnd EGCL was fully modelled - even though it doesnā€™t show up as an airfield in XP-11 (not on the list and doesnā€™t show up on the GPS, despite having an important NDB located there, too).

I was left questioning my decision to return P3Dv4 and buy XP-11.

Understood Brix. I will keep and enjoy both until something better comes along. One factor in the decision is that P3D takes considerable expense to bring to the level, I.E. Orbx, that Ortho4XP gives for free. Well, I suppose the TB SSD drive that I will need for tiles is not free. :slight_smile: Perhaps try another data source. I switched from BI to ARC and it was an improvement. And are you building an overlay with the HD mesh afterward?

Yes, Iā€™m using the HD mesh v3 - my scenery ini file looks like this:

I

1000 Version
SCENERY

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EBBR Brussels/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGBB Birmingham/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGKK London-Gatwick/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGPF Glasgow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGSS London-Stansted/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LEMD Madrid/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPG Paris CDG/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPO Paris Orly/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LPFR Faro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LSGG Genf/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/yOrtho4XP_Overlays/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSEA Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LFPG Paris - Charles de Gaulle/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LOWI Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/OpenSceneryX/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+48-006/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+52+000/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+52-001/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+53+000/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+53-001/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+58-003/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+58-004/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+59-002/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+59-003/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+59-004/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+60-001/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+60-002/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zzz_hd_global_scenery3/

One video said to put the overlays entry above Global Airports and another said to put the mesh entry at the bottom - so thatā€™s what Iā€™ve done.

So, I would move your overlays to just above your Ortho4XP tiles, based on this article, which I consider the gospel. Works for me anyway.

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+48-006/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+52+000/

http://simheaven.com/?page_id=338

FWIW, my scenery_packs.ini. Suggestions welcome.

I
1000 Version
SCENERY

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Kpdk/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ALASKA PAWG Wrangell Airport V1/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BetiX - CYBD_A/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BetiX - CYBD_B_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BetiX - CYBD_C_Roads/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BetiX - CZST_A_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BetiX - CZST_B/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BR-Riogaleao - SBGL International Rio de Janeiro Airport v1.4/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BR-Riogaleao - SBGL Roads/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BR-RJ Rio Niteroi Traffic E/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BR-RJ Rio Niteroi Traffic W/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BR-SBRJ Santos Dumont v1.2/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/DD Washington XP Documents/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/DD Washington XP Layer1/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/DD Washington XP Layer2/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KATL - Atlanta - Butnaru/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LFPB - Paris Airshow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LFPG Paris - Charles de Gaulle/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/PAJN - Juneau International/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/PAKT - Ketchikan International/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/KSEA Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LOWI Demo Area/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EBBR Brussels/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDDF Frankfurt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EDLP Paderborn-Lippstadt/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGBB Birmingham/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGKK London-Gatwick/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGPF Glasgow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGSS London-Stansted/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LEBL Barcelona/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LEMD Madrid/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPG Paris CDG/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LFPO Paris Orly/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LPFR Faro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - LSGG Genf/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/w2xp_America/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/world-models/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ff_library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/R2_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/3D_people_library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/OpenSceneryX/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+33-085/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BetiX - CZST_C_Mesh/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BetiX - CYBD_D_Mesh/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/BR-RJ Mesh/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ZZZ DD Washington XP Terrain/

1 Like

Thanks, Chipwich - Iā€™ll give it a try.

Interesting info, thanks. Preview? Wasnā€™t even aware of it! Iā€™d been using the Batch Build function.

Oh - I just now noticed it in the first post. How the hell did I miss that? :hushed: