X-Plane Ortho4XP Guide

scenery
guide
x-plane

Do it man!

Coming to XP11 as a spoiled P3Dv3 user with tons of expensive ORBX scenery, I followed that guide and the Ortho4XP scenery with overlay has put P3D+ORBX to shame, especially when flying in areas I know in real life, it’s so much more realistic looking.

Ortho4XP is the killer app that turns X-Plane 11 into an awesome GA sim… the only downside is the disk space needed, but when compared to ORBX scenery size it’s not bad at all.

I had a problem. I left it downloading, but at an early stage it got stuck - no idea why, but I will try again tomorrow.

It looks like it had problems downloading the data from that Base Source, try to switch it to BI which is Bing and see if that works for you.

I’ll try that, thanks. Was just following the advice in the video.

Edit: It worked! :thumbsup:

I’m having some issues with this and would be grateful for any assistance.

I have downloaded 7 tiles covering Shetland, Orkney and Caithness… I used a Symlink to X-plane’s Custom Scenery folder. I’m really not convinced it is loading, as I don’t see any difference between default terrain and this.

I looked in the scenery_packs.ini file and found the

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/yOrtho4XP_Overlays/

entry, but nothing else. According to the tutorial video, there should also be entries for each of the seven tiles, but they are not there. Did I miss something? I followed the video and double checked after, but I don’t see anything different to what I did.

First thing to try; delete the scenery_packs.ini file and restart X-Plane. It’ll make a new one automatically, with what’s there.

Do you have the AIPilot HD meshes? Why I ask. Overlays don’t do much unless you have them, to get the data for the night time lighting of cities and roads. As far as I’ve been able to determine, overlays don’t seem to like being pointed to the default scenery to get the data. If there is a way, I’d like to know, myself.

Thanks - I’ll do that. I just flew around the complete area to make sure and it definitely isn’t showing the ortho scenery.

I don’t have the AIPilot HD meshes.

If I deleting the ini file doesn’t work, I’ll have another go with my local senery. I just flew the area in default XP and it was dire. I will definitely know if that has been improved or not.

Oh - I also moved the ortho folder to Custom Scenery and deleted the link.

I’m guessing they don’t look like this?

Same selection as yours, Bing source, ZL 16, no overlays.

Hmm. Ok, you are probably doing it right, but just to be sure…

Are you putting (or linking) each and every generated zOrtho4XP tile directory into the Custom Scenery directory separately? Like this, for example?

It works fine like that.

No - and I just saw that in another tutorial video earlier and will try it tomorrow. I have watched 3 tutorial videos and they each say to install it a different way.

Thanks

The subfolders for each tile that I have are names diferently - without the Ortho4XP prefix - inless you added those?

So if I moved the individual tiles into the Custom Scenery folder, they would be named, for example, “+40-010” rather than “zOrtho4XP_+40-010” - does this matter?

I’ll have a quick go and see how it turns out.

Not really. The only benefit of leaving them with the default naming is that when your scenery_packs.ini repopulates they will be at the bottom of the list (where they are supposed to be) rather then the top. As long as you manually edit it so that the orthos are at the bottom of the list you should be fine.

You don’t get these inside your “Ortho4XP/Tiles” directory after generating?

Those are the folders that you would copy or link across. Basically, grad all of them and plonk them straight into the X-Plane 11/Custom Scenery directory…

I’m suspecting you might be looking into each of them and finding…

…inside the Earth nav data sub folder, and using that? That wouldn’t be right.

What version of Ortho4XP have you got, by chance? Something is weird…

I’ll check in a mo - just downloading the HD mesh for each tile from here:

http://cdn.isdg.com.au/downloads/xp10_hd_mesh_v3/

Ortho4XP is v120b (I got it from the link to xplane.org in the OP - the files in the ‘update’ folder were exactly the same as the ones in the download, time, date, size and all)

This is how it downloads:

Wrong directory. Look for the…

Ortho4XP/Tiles

…directory.

What you are looking at there are the overlays, for night lighting effects, mostly.

They would go in, too, if you generated them, but also not the individual items. You would put the whole yOrtho4XP_Overlays directory into Custom Scenery.

That’s what I did originally - I’ll have another look. The video didn’t mention anything about the tiles directory.

I found another video that looks much more detailed and I will follow that procedure instead.

I was using the Luna’s World tutorial, but now looking at the Explain X-Plane one, it looks much more detailed and includes the HD mesh, which Luna’s doesn’t. I’ll delete the link to Luna’s Tute in my earlier post - don’t want anyone else using it and having trouble!

Or see what our very own @fearlessfrog has to say about it. :grin: I was up and away following only his advice on this thread.

Ah - I did read that first, in fact - but I assumed the vid would be the same advice and used that whilst actually using the prog. I must have missed the bit on the tiles directory in the post.

Hot damn! 42.5GB in total (9 tiles at level 17) :scream:

Thanks for your help :slightly_smiling_face:

No probs, mate. :thumbsup:

About the size, there is a way to cut that down drastically using zoom level zones in important areas. I got one KSEA tile down from 8 GB to 1 GB using that, retaining very good detail around the airports, and no significant visual detail loss at higher altitudes in all other areas. We’ll get to that another time. For now, enjoy!

Okay, thanks! All working great, laddy, aye! Mind you - the overlay has now gone AWOL, but I can sort that out.

They must have very heavy power lines up there!