X-Plane question

vatsim.net does looks fun (vatsim.com goes to a parked domain serving ads).

Rather than better ground traffic graphics perhaps it’ll be easier to look at a traffic webcam too. :wink:

This is in the works by JARDesigns… I haven’t watched the whole thing…but it looks like part of it is a replacement ATC system of some sort (?)… Check out around the 15:00 mark where he gets cleared for takeoff…etc…

1 Like

Watching it now - thanks.

It looks great so far, exactly what I was looking for.

EDIT: Beta looks like Mac only for now. Will keep an eye out though.

1 Like

This is quite short threat so I will resurect it :slight_smile:

I am looking for help with two things.

1. is here pls anyone capable of ’ editing ’ XP planes especialy cockpits ? What I want to achieve is for example do some small changes to the external 3D model like hiding some stuff and for example also change of positions of cockpit switches so when I fire some plane the switches will be diferent as they are by default.
    Pls direct me to some tutorial manual / video if you know about some.

2. does anyone pls stil run XP 10 ? I gues yes. Cause I have two planes which are older and not recognized by XP11. What I need is to open and save them in XP 10 Plane Maker. According to what I have read this should make them usable for XP 11.

many thanks in advance

NEVO,

Painting X-Plane aircraft is pretty easy if you know how to use Photoshop, GIMP, or similar image manipulation software. But I think that you are asking about 3D modeling which is a level higher and more challenging to find someone with these skills.

As far as migration aircraft, as long as they don’t need any dependencies, as in plugins, nav databases, and the like, you can copy the ac folders into the similar folder in XP11. You can try flying it, and if it has issues, open and save in in XP11 planemaker (not XP10 planemaker). But backup your .acf files first in case you want to revert to the original.

In any case, it’s a good practice to use a mod enabler like OvGME or JSGME to allow for quick backout method.

I don’t think many people who’ve tried XP11 are still on XP10.

Hope this helps.

Just a litle :wink:

Yes 3D modeling is needed for the external models. Wondering if manipulation of the cockpit switches is also 3D modeling or if it can be done by other means.

Regarding the XP10 Plane Maker this approach was recommended by the author of that particular aircraft as verified approach. XP11 Plane Maker will not open the file unfortunately.

While I am totally enjoying XP11 with VR, I am definitely not enjoying the lousy ATC.

But the subject is X-Plane Question so I guess, like Jeopardy, I need to phrase my rant in the form of a question…“Lousy X-Plane ATC for 200, Alex.”

Rant

Why is it that I can watch a video showing how the aerodynamics of XP11 is tweaked to add minor adjustments, yet the ATC will gladly fly me into a mountain? And why is it that when it tries to do so, I can’t just cancel IFR? And finally why is it when I just switch off the frequency and just land at an uncontrolled airfield, it pops up a window to yell at me for not following ATC? (Which is more than annoying since it blocks the screen while I am trying to stay on the runway.)

…and why is there no way to load a previously developed flight plan from a 3rd party app (QuickPlan by FSWidgets) directly into the GPS on planes that do not have a FMS?

Perhaps my question should be, Is there an add on that makes XP ATC use some common sense?

After all MSFS has had viable ATC–IFR and VFR–since at least 2002 (or was it 2000?). This has got to be easier than exhaust thrust or accurate wing vortexes…just say’n

and something maybe also here

1 Like

Yeah…our currently wandering the world @fearlessfrog is the resident expert on the ATC type add-ons. I’ve only dabbled in X-Life, which I don’t really know is up to the task.

Dealing with ATC sounds far too much like work to me. I just want to fire up and go!

2 Likes

OK - that’s exactly the kind of thing I may be in the market to get.

Noob question: Do you need a 3rd party weather app to get weather radars to work? When I click on a weather radar I just get a “No weather available” message.

Hmm…I don’t think so.

My FPS tank when I go into clouds (especially an overcast) which doesn’t make sense to me since all I really need to see is blank white outside. It has been explained to me that the XP11 clouds are actually 3D renditions that takes a lot of processing to display correctly…which essentially comes out to be blank white outside.

I am hoping that there are good 3rd party apps that can replace the XP11 clouds and give better FPS. I’ve been looking at NextGen Environment which looks pretty nice–does water as well as sky…also looking at xEnviro which seems to be just weather stuff.

Thoughts? Should I be looking elsewhere?

1 Like

From the other thread :

1 Like

IME, the ASXP high perf replacement are about the same as the default clouds and the high def textures have a mildly negative impact on performance. But xEnviro gives volumetric clouds with little impact. Very much a WIP though.

How to toggle 3D mouse in VR when you forgot to assign it to joy button or kboard key?

go to this folder

XP11\Output\preferences

locate one of these files

X-Plane Joystick Settings.prf
X-Plane Keys.prf

and add e.g. line like this into the keys file and save

V SHIFT sim/VR/toggle_3d_mouse_cursor

2 Likes

Yeah…I have mine toggled to a button on my Warthog. I sort of remember someone saying some time ago that having the mouse active in VR had a performance hit. So I toggle it off when I’m not using it…

actually it helped/worked once, so I set it now to joystick button also

when I lunch IL2 I can see two game screens on my monitor and single 3D picture in HS. when I run XP I can see only single game screen on my monitor and I have ‘double vision’ in XP (like no 3D, where the right picture is offset). any hints? thx

EDIT: ‘try and error’ - I just tried to import xplane.exe into pitool games list and run it from there and not from steam. now the picture is in 3D without the wrong offset

EDIT2 : I am so confused. now it seems that it is more related to pitool settings