X-Plane Releases Thread (2019)

Thx. Sure, some people seems to be posting their lack of knowledge instead of real version-compatability bugs there on xp forums.

And with PMDG considering XP11 update it could be wise to wait a bit.

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

What!!! YGTBSM!!! ? People posting their lack of knowledge??? On the internet!!! IMPOSSIBLE!!!

(ouch…I just pulled my sarcasm muscle…I really need to remember to stretch first) :grin:

I have xp since xp5, and followed all updates and versions. Nowadays I have xp11 and 103 payware addons aircraft installed on it, following their forums, updates issues etc etc. So, if sometimes isolated situations the problem is someone installed it wrong, the mayority of the situations when arrives a new xp patch is because the new features, as such that even addon devs sometimes recommend to not immediatelly update to the lastest patch and wait for tests.
As mentioned before manytimes patches broken the behavior of addon, because addon was parametrized to such a behavior/physics and after the patch that reality changes, sometimes is even internal variables are splited or name changed, or have new physics simulating that interact with others.
Specifically with DC6, it was tested and certified to xp10, xp10 to xp11 is not only a visual engine updates, it have many internal changes, as such that for exemple the Felis An24 out-of-the-box (vanilla) version works perfectly on xp10 and if you put it on xp11 directly, you not have landing gears opened when load on runway, apu not turn on, AP works very wrong with oscilations (because changes in physics that disturb the controller that expected a model that is now changed). To work now it was adapted and hard modded to work now.
So, DC6 (on xp11) is the same, if its works or some parts works is coincidence and sometimes a placebo way were you think that its all ok beause is plausible. Even PMDG officially agreed that DC6 is for xp10 ONLY not 11…
And this is not a problem of xp or Austin, they are doing a nice job, this is a core problem of any simulator that constantly receives updates and improvements where addons devs not follow in the same rate or speed, you have the same in DCS World with some modules, now works, after a patch, sometimes something is broken that requires 3rd party devs attention.

1 Like

So far I’ve really liked the flight models in XP11. They may not be 100% perfect but then, what sim is? We used to say something about perfection being the enemy of good enough…or something like that…the idea being that if something isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

I think the XP11 flight models are much better than good enough. I wish they would stop fiddling with them and get to work fixing the truly broken stuff like ATC.

(Yes, I’ve downloaded Pilot2ATC… it looks promising but you practically need a Masters degree in computers…which I have and I still can’t seem to figure it out…yikes)

1 Like

With regards to updating, it’s up to the publisher and/or the store. Sometimes an updater is included, sometimes you get an email, but often it’s left up to us. What’s been help to me is keeping a master list of purchases with their purchase date, order and serial number, and version if known in in a text file. That way I don’t have to go hunt down those things during updates or re-installs.

2 Likes

You’re a wise man. Right now I’m only at three 3rd party payware aircraft. However, if I start going crazy, like I did with FSX I’ll need to do that. (Heck, I hit so many PC Aviator 10%-off Tuesdays that when I finally stopped, they thought I had passed away and sent my wife a condolence card. :open_mouth: )

4 Likes

My inability to detect jokes (also known as being German) prevents me from understanding whether you are serious or not. Please clarify.

4 Likes

In fact it was condolence card with 10%-off coupon :wink:

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I once saw a Finnish guy on TV explain that Finns “are like Germans, but without the sense of humor.” :laughing:

Yes, that is what is known as a self-deprecating joke…kind of like the Brown’s defensive line…but that’s another thread. :grin:

3 Likes

Heck…you did that for all of us! What a great read and a look behind the curtain of how to operate it properly…! Great write-up and explanations…

8 Likes

Dang. I just got the FlyJSim 727 and now this makes me want the DC-6! :grimacing: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Cracking read as always @Sine_Nomine. Reading posts like this remind me I have so much I don’t understand or appreciate about flying.

I have the DC-6, it’s one of my favourite aircraft, and didn’t even realise it wasn’t supposed to work in XP11. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Very njoyable read, oc :+1:
Looking on all those charts… I guess if I owned this plane I would post my lack of knowledge many times also :wink:

This is the greatest thing about study level planes. I dont want anything less accurate, but many times I am less than accurate to operate them :blush:

3 Likes

Those supercharger gear box oil pressure readings would make me slightly concerned.

1 Like

Not a new release, but a sale on arctic scenery that the EU X-Plane pilots participating in the Christmas challenge will want to know about: Official 5th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - discussion thread - #101 by Freak

This is probably also the thread in which I should confess that I bought it immediately when I saw it was on sale, even though I still have more than a hundred GB of ortho tiles that I haven’t even flown over once.

1 Like

Asking because I cannot check right now (and forgot what was the result when I last checked):

In stock XP11, does the world still completely end at above (IIRC) 60° north?

I thought I had played around with it some time ago after the beta release, and found at least some low quality mesh for the whole world. I might be imagining stuff though…

I think it goes as far as 74 degrees North latitude…

1 Like

Then where does Santa live? :open_mouth:

Tähtikuja 1, 96930 Rovaniemi, Finland
(At least that’s where you can send mail)

2 Likes