X-Plane Releases Thread (2019)

An SR-71 VR mod for the X-Plane default SR-71…

“This file is a VR Conversion of the Lockheed SR-71 by Laminar Research, which has been made available to the community. This conversion project was done live in a series of 3 live-stream events as a means of teaching the process for creating these mods.”

2 Likes

Yeah…I’m thinking the Propstrike Cessna first. :slightly_smiling_face:

FYI, the FSX Glowingheat SR-71 Blackbird is actually a pretty good model of the actual thing, at least from the imagery customer’s perspective.

1 Like

Bumped to just be all the 2019 posts (it’ll take a bit to reindex the dates, sorry).

3 Likes

Looks like the A320 Ultimate has now been made fully VR compatible:

“Today, a major update of the FFA320 is available with VR being fully implemented.”

I’d caution though, in looking at the X-Plane forums that the integration isn’t ideal. It doesn’t appear to use “grab and twist” for instance for some knobs…which I think is an essential mechanic for VR flying. Rather, I think it uses point to highlight and move perhaps. If anyone has the FF A320 and VR, I’d be curious what you think of it now…

1 Like

Airfoil Labs King Air 350 finally released! Time for @BeachAV8R to teach us some stuff!

6 Likes

That sure is pretty. And I’m already sure that it has way more depth than the Carenado King Airs. I flew a 300 for a couple years, but most of my time is in the B200. Lots of commonality though…except that triple-fed bus (and the need for a type rating).

The F90 had a triple fed bus iirc. Looks like I’m going to have to dust off my King Air training manuals.

I flew the 300 and the 350 (but not typed). I liked the B200 better honestly. The power was nice though.

“Pretty” is the understatement of the year. Just LOOK at her!

5 Likes

Yeah…I’m definitely picking this up. Those panels shots on the .ORG site are just insanely delicious…

The cockpit looks outstanding. The only thing I would have preferred would be a nice big Sperry ADI instead of the EFIS version. So many instruments, switches and knobs - it almost brings a tear to my eye.

This looks like it will be in the same league as the Hotstart TBM900. A definite purchase for me as soon as I get home off this trip.

2 Likes

That cockpit is exactly as I remember. I agree with you about the ADI but I don’t think that was an option on the 350.

Just in time for a flood of new VR headsets. One feels like you could prep for a real check ride with a $50 add-on aircraft.

1 Like

I did just that in the 757 in November. OK well I didn’t prep for the checkride as crew interaction is 95% of flying a multicrew airplane. But I was able to show up with a comfortable grasp of switches, flows and normal procedures. There is no training tool available to a pilot at home than VR.

EDIT: Meant “…no [better] training tool…”

2 Likes

I might need a full on PC24 simulator at some point in the next few years then (hopefully)… :smile:

Really? MCA is replacing the Citation?

We have deposits down on PC-24s…but who knows. Citation Ultras are getting some age on them…and parts will only become more challenging. Heck, ADS B compliance, which gives us no in-cockpit improvements, cost $100K or something…

I picked up the Airfoil Labs KA350 last night and took it for a quick flight around the MIA/FLL area. I didn’t go through the C&D startup due to time constraints, but rather jumped in the aircraft with engines running in a lined up and waiting state. The only annunciatiator illuminated other than green was auto-feather. Since my buddy whom has a bunch of Twotter time told me that they always disabled this, except for checkrides, I’m in a perpetual state of angst whether this should be enabled for takeoff :slight_smile: So left it off and proceeded setting power for takeoff. Seat-of-the-pants flew, it just like other virtual King Airs that I’ve flown. No surprises there.

Looking at some live streams afterword, there are a ton of nice features like a HUD in the external view, sound menu, and pop-up 2D FMS. With regards to the FMS, it appears to function like the default XP version, except for a bug that prevents the top line of numbers (1,2,3) from entering correctly. The 2D FMS pop-up window works in the meantime. On the support forum there are many calls to make the KA350 RealityXP GTN750 compatible. The pop-up GTN apparently works well, but IMO, replacing the FMS with the Garmin unit in the panel would be ideal.

There seems to be a virtual FO, since V speeds on takeoff, gear/flap states, and critical altitudes are called out, a feature that I really appreciate. At least least I think it’s a virtual FO. Raytheon my have some created an AI for old dudes that I am ignorant of :slight_smile:

At one point I turned around and opened the cockpit door and was startled to find a bunch of smiling virtual pax returning my gaze.

On a somewhat related note, while flying the King Air 350 last night, I tried out the $15 X-ATC Chatter plugin as well. It seems to work as described, in that it determines the nearest ATC facilities and plays appropriate (LiveATC) chatter, adding some nice ambiance to your flight. Not as good as talking to a live controller and probably not appreciated by the professional pilots on this board, whom might find it a confusing intrusion. But I enjoyed it all the same. It’s surprisingly configurable and easy enough to toggle on/off. A year old review here:

5 Likes

Great stuff Dan, I’m definitely going to get the KA350 when I get home. I’ll defer to Chris as an active King Air Driver, but I always had auto-feather enabled. It makes an engine failure at V1 a far more manageable affair. In fact, with rudder boost, and auto-feather, losing an engine at V1 in a King Air is far safer than it would be with a piston twin. Without rudder boost and auto-feather I think it would be another story.

3 Likes

Priority bug list for the Airfoil KA350.

1 Like