X-Plane Releases Thread (2019)

The KingAir is still the ONLY plane I have flown where “dead foot, dead engine” does not apply (due to rudder boost). My 30 year old memory of the machine recalls something like, “identify top four gauges, verify top four gauges…” The 300 had a touque limiter that would kick in (or is it off?) as you advance the throttles. If you failed to get both limiters simultaneously, she would yaw violently. You only make that mistake once. The B350 corrected that and was more like the 200.

1 Like

Yeah…we use auto-feather on 100% of our takeoffs. It takes a significant source of error out of the engine failure after liftoff decision tree. With auto-feather on, the only thing to do is point to the failed engine and verify the auto-feather did the job. Once it is verified, don’t touch a thing (and brief the non-flying pilot not to touch a thing either) lest one of you make a hurried decision and inadvertently feather the operative engine. We’ve all seen that happen in the sim.

Great system that by all accounts works great. My only total engine failure in the KA occurred way up at 14K or so and we no longer had the system armed, so I didn’t get the opportunity to watch it work in real life.

1 Like

Yes…that getting on the governors waggle is something all new KA guys quickly learn about.

1 Like

Great first impressions. I can’t wait to give it a whirl. The Carenado Citation II got so many things wrong, I’m hoping the 350 will be much better.

1 Like

Took the KA350 for a little bit longer spin around South Florida again tonight and came away really impressed. The feature list is a long one and with the X-Aviation TBM-900, the Airfoil Labs entry is setting the bar for X-Plane study level aircraft. Things like an interactive checklist are not new, but are carried out with such thoughtful design and execution, that you are left hard pressed to want to fly anything less. The sounds are the best overall package that I’ve heard in an XP aircraft. Would like to know what you RL King Air drivers think.

Multi-function menu pops out when cursor is near.

Settings menu. I like the option to toggle a persistent state, which would be a nice feature for the TBM. Here you can toggle the Arcade 2D Panel.

Handy when you want to checkout South Beach from a different angle and also works on your RC LOS chops.

View menu.

Non integrated 2D pop up RXP GTN 750

You get this by click on the POH in the left side map pocket.

4 Likes

Drzewiecki Design airports 30% off this week

3 Likes

Did you spell that right? I enjoy not spelling it right.

This may be my first XP aircraft purchase. So, Airfoil Labs? Coming from an FSX background I have a feel for the various developers…Aerosoft, PMDG, Carenado, JustFlight…and Abacus…I know what to expect from each and what not to expect. XP11 is a new frontier for me…so… Airfoil Labs? Looks to be like PMDG or Aerosoft; high quality study sim. Is that about right?

I’m not that familiar with their products, but if the KA350 is an example, I will be buying more. To answer your question, I would say closer to PMDG than Carenado, albeit the King Air has fewer systems to model than a B747. But the depth and complexity is the same, save the FMS, which uses the default X-Plane version.

Pretty sure. Tried so many times before hit send :slight_smile:

Hanger200, I should clarify in that if you are an “OCD former intel officer”, that you might want to wait a bit on the KA350. As it is a recent release, there are the typical number of bugs to squash. None of them prevent me from enjoying the aircraft. But I tend to not flip switches until I need something, and if it doesn’t function, more often blame my incompetence, when in fact it might need a write-up. The Hot Start TBM 900 is a bit more fleshed out and is most definitely a study level aircraft.

1 Like

VMAX/FlightFactor/SteptoSky 767 Professional

On Sale at the Org Store for $57.60 (reg. $72). It’s still pricey but for me their 757 was accurate enough to be a study sim. I might get this just because the 767-300 is the best flying variant of the bunch.

1 Like

Having flown both their 757 and 767 and having written guides on both products as well… I think your assessment is correct.

1 Like

First there is an awesome Kingair 350 and now an awesome B767! You guys are not making my “GA or COMAIR” decision any easier! :smile:

(Background: With over 1,000 aircraft in my FSX hangar, I decided that I would only choose GA or COMAIR for my XP hangar…its a $ thing.)

2 posts were split to a new topic: Orbx TrueEarth US Washington for X-Plane 11

Not sure if this is functional in 3D as well…but this guy came up with a mod to add the GTN to the panel:

Oh hell yeah!

I’m seriously tempted, and this mod makes this module even more appealing… But with the Rift S just around the corner, and a close to $4000 vet bill I took care of this afternoon, I probably should wait… :crazy_face: We will see how my resolve holds up.

The sale is over but I wanted to recommend against the 767 currently. It’s not bad but there are some significant diversions from real. The 757 is a much better choice.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the Carenado Premier 1A? It looks nice, but I’m skeptical about the systems simulation.