X-Plane Releases Thread (2020)

I’d like to see a comparison between true earth HD and the Forkboy ortho project. I’m assuming the custom buildings make the biggest difference?

3 Likes

Wondering that myself. Convenience is nice though I’m sure.

When you have a chance, out of morbid curiosity, can you hop out to Moreno Valley and see if the giant ‘M’ is out there on the mountain? I’m curious, with all the air race talk from a little while back.

So…I’m thinking you mean in the new SOCAL scenery…

…at first I was thinking you meant in RL…

I was all, “Yeah Beach…jump in that fancy jet of yours and go take a look for us. Just tell your company it is for Mudspike!” :grimacing:

3 Likes

I had to have it… downloading now. This probably means that Air Hauler will be released imminently along with another shiny new airplane or two… it just seems to work that way.

Oh, and I need another HDD I think!

1 Like

I would not buy it, but for the enhanced cityscapes. That’s the one thing that you don’t get with orthophotos. I fly so much around So Cal that I’ll be picking it up today as well. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve already found three of the places I lived in photos and videos of the new scenery… Still on the fence, especially as I’m dancing through trying to optimize my settings as it is (currently seem to be stuck at around 20 fps).

1 Like

I fly to SoCal a lot for work… Van Nuys, Carlsbad, LAX, Camarillo, etc etc… so this is almost home turf for me. Plus, I can now fly from San Diego to Seattle with OrbX TE scenery… SoCal was the missing piece.

3 Likes

I counted 4 San Dog screen shots…5 if that is the old Chargers stadium. Yeah, I’ll be getting this. San Diego was the one place where I stayed the longest…5 years! :sunglasses:

EDIT: So am I the only one who now cannot get “California Dream’n” out of my head.

1 Like

Yeah, my parents lived in Redlands when dad was at Norton AFB in the 80s. Spent a lot of time out there visiting and then later living with my brother one summer in Manhattan Beach. Some good times for 20 - somethings. Have a best friend in Coronado which whom I am fortunate enough to visit often. Skiing at Big Bear, skydiving at Perris Vally, riding dirt bikes. All great memories.

1 Like

This video too:

And yes, that’s the Q- I lived across Friars Road from there my first year in town. Great for easy access to the Ikea and SDSU, horrendous for traffic- especially during football season. Always stabbings or break-ins on the neighborhood when the Raiders came to town.

Found my old place in Crown Point in the video shot showing Mission Bay, and the place I lived in Little Italy in the shot showing Harbor Drive and the cruise ship terminals.

Here ya go, let’s fix that:

Not as easy as it used to be to see from the freeway with all the trees and walls blocking your view from the freeway now.

Wheels

What are you talking about…it’s right there!

…clear as day…a bit smaller than I expected but…that’s an M alright. :grin:

4 Likes

This is my biggest concern with ORBX and OrthoXP - and why I haven’t done either yet. I had some ORBX products for FSX/P3D and really enjoyed them but I’m worried about performance.

I finally got my FPS to be better (30-45, clouds seem to still drop it down a bit if I’m in something like the Zibo) but I feel like the HD sceneries could crush it.

I plan on upping to 32gb RAM in the next month or so (and re-configuring my RAM before then, pretty sure I don’t have it installed correctly for dual channel)

2 Likes

So the first place I fired up and visited was Lone Pine, CA - the jumping off point for many of my California mountain climbing adventures. I’ve been up Mt. Whitney four times by various routes in all seasons. Things look pretty good, particularly down in the valley. The mountains are a little…I don’t know…oddly textured. It almost seems like ORBX went for a kind of uniform look where it is hard to figure out if they were shooting for summer or winter textures. It kind of looks like…I dunno…Sprumminter season or something. Still, it was need to climb up from the valley floor and follow the route. Man, I’d die if I tried to do that hike in the shape I’m in today… :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

In comparing it to my own photos though…it does have that color…

2 Likes

Orbx question, are you guys installing your titles in Custom Scenery, or using the new Orbx Library option?

I’m putting it in Custom Scenery. I like to be able to see everything in that directory when I’m fiddling with the scenery_packs.ini file. I don’t know how the Library option works with that…I suppose it just redirects to where they are and it still shows up in the .ini file?

1 Like

I have a separate OrbX folder on a separate drive. My 1TB SSD for X-Plane isn’t big enough!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s there. I went to March AFB and took a short hop out of there:

For those of you wondering…these are my detail settings…I’m getting pretty much 60FPS with these relatively high settings (running Vulkan). Also keep in mind I’m running that on a 3440 x 1440 monitor…so that is pushing quite a few pixels.

View of the “M” though the cockpit window (FPS counter in the upper left)…