X56 HOTAS Unknowns

Wondering what peeps use the X56 and what they use the Rotaries on the Thrust controller for. As you will know there is a button and rotary on each and have a centre button. There is also a rotary on the extreme left of this stick which appears to be a true rotary encoder, does anyone use this and what for. Please only answers about the X56. Thanks

the top rotary, The big one, I use for zoom

The bottom rotary, I use for Helo throttle

RTY 4 I use for Tacan
RTY 3 I use for ILS

RTY 3 and 4 I only use if the axis binds are there for Tacan and ILS, For example the F-16 has axis binds for both.

3 Likes

thats correct, most left rotary is encoder and I dont use it at all. the other rotaries are potentiometers.

I have it as follows for different games/airframes

WWII

• right throttle
    ā€“ top rotary - prop RPM
    ā€“ bottom rotary - mixture
  • base
    ā€“ rotaries - radiators / cowl flaps

Helicopters

• right throttle
    ā€“ top rotary - throttle
    ā€“ bottom rotary - mixture
  • base
    ā€“ rotaries - no use

General Aviation

• right throttle
    ā€“ top rotary - no use
    ā€“ bottom rotary - no use
  • base
    ā€“ rotaries - no use

most of the time I dont use all the controls on my X56. if possible I use my mouse to interact with cockpit.

2 Likes

Ok not flying helos yet. I too use the mouse for cockpit but it is getting to be a nuisance as I have my two joystick -throttle controllers either side on my desk and the mouse gets knocked quite often so a bit of a pain. Dont think Iā€™ll ever be able to stop using it.

I have clickable cockpit mode on/off mapped to my stick to stop the mouse moving being a pain

Not sure what this means but a rough guess that a button the stick would enable/disable mouse till needed ?. On the modules (hi-fid) with having to click for using cursor would be a bit annoying ???.