XPlane-12

I want YOUR opinion! You are the professional helicopter pilot in our group.

2 Likes

Some really nice environmentals displayed here.

5 Likes

The bush sequence is Propstrike’s “Quatam River”. I am very glad to see that it works with XP12 but really he should have indicated that it wasn’t plane-jane X-Plane.

4 Likes

I wondered that and posted the question in the video’s comments. Completely agree.

2 Likes

I will download VSL R44 and R66 first and then I can try to write something down …

fortunately you added this, I was afraid that we have different versions of XP12 :wink:

2 Likes
2 Likes

I got this from the dot.org forum. As I’ve said a bunch, 12 runs better than 11, sometimes dramatically so. But I was getting severe stutters around JFK. I think that with all of the structures and resultant shadows, I was pushing the available memory on my GPU. Below yielded a dramatic improvement over problem areas with no noticeable change in appearance.

• Texture Quality - Max
  • SSAO - High
  • FSR - Off (!!)
  • AA - FXAA
  • Anisotropic Filtering - 16x
  • Clouds - Max
  • Shadows - AC Only
  • Render Distance - High
  • World Objects - High (might want to back down this one to medium)
  • Vegetation Density - High
  • Parked AC - Off (who needs em)
  • Enable 3D Veg - Checked

(btw, the comments in the list are from the original poster at dot org.)

6 Likes

This in VR :vr:?

Always VR! I haven’t used a joystick in X-Plane in at least 3 years!

…and I can’t remember the last time I have enjoyed such happy times with a sim. This thing is the gift that keeps giving!

5 Likes

Although I can’t imagine not having my hands on a stick and throttle when flying, I really respect the fact that a real life airline/aerobatic/helicopter pilot prefers virtual controls. That is all the endorsement anyone should need! It causes one to question their commitments :smile:

I don’t think I’d fly this way in ACM. But when lives aren’t on the line, it’s the only way to fly!

2 Likes

Just finished giving X-Plane 12 a spin. Frames are great! I need to tweak my VR settings. Unfortunately, not having any luck with the mouse while in VR. I can see the cursor but can’t click on anything.

Also, any idea if Orbx terrain for 11 will work in 12?

1 Like

If memory serves, you have to turn that on on the VR settings tab.

1 Like

It’s enabled. I can see the cursor, and I can right-click and use the drop down menu, but I can’t click on anything in the cockpit or other menus, or click the Disable VR’ button.

1 Like

The mouse in VR function slowed XP11 down a BUNCH. So I haven’t used it in years. I’m not sure what is required to make it work properly in XP12 but I will test tomorrow.

I expected that, but was unsure when I saw those settings… Impressive.
A couple of days left in the roster, then 6 days off. Will soon see for myself! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My main complaint with all XP versions has been the poor ATC. I wrote somewhere–perhaps on Mudspike–that I was disappointed that XP-11’s ATC was far behind the MSFS-98’s ATC. The lack of good ATC is one of the reasons why I reluctantly removed XP-11 from my VR PC (datamaskin) rig.

So I will be very interested if someone can comment on XP-12 ATC; both IFR and VFR. :slightly_smiling_face:

“Why don’t you just download the free demo and try for yourself?”, I hear someone say. Alas for various memory and contractual limitations, I don’t have a PC that can run it. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I don’t know how deep into the nuances of the norwegian language that course takes you, but as a side note, datamaskin used to be called EDB maskin in the olden days, and is still used by elderly people and younger people who want to be ironic.
EDB is short for Elektronisk Data Behandling, or Electronic Data Management in the Queens… Sorry! The Kings english.

You forgot where you put it…? :wink:

3 Likes

I am an admitted, incurable XP12 fanboy. I can’t believe how solid this release is. So, I hope my credibility is established when I say…

ATC in X-Plane 12 sucks! VFR and IFR. If you are happy with ATC in MSFS, then that’s the place to be.

There are lots of reasons for this: weird facility changes, odd and constant squawk changes, altitudes and headings that result in terrain contact. And that’s after just two flights. Good news for me is ATC is not a thing I want to deal with on my days off so using it has been an exercise in curiosity moreso than testing a desired feature.

3 Likes

Just tried the mouse in VR. Works fine for me.