2017 Health & Fitness thread

Fitness comes from the gym, leanness comes from the fridge.

Took the puppy for a 2 1/2 mile jog yesterday morning, and my running shoes decided to tear up my heels. It hurts to even walk right now, so I’m down for another couple of days. Awesome.

Do you have a strong heelstrike? Maybe you are running with the wrong form?

On another note, I slept in this morning so had no time to run before work. Oh well, tomorrow is a day off.

Some one say puppy?

1 Like

I normally don’t, unless my form gets lazy. Other part of it is I’m still working on building endurance, both with myself and the dog, and there were squirrels everywhere, so there was a lot of start-stop and fast walking. I’m sure that didn’t do my heels any favors either.

1 Like

A young Lab/Golden Retriever?

We think yellow lab/ pit bull. She runs like a pit. Right now, i can get her running about a mile, before she starts giving me the, “seriously, this is bs, I wanna go home now” looks and whining.

1 Like

Awww

1 Like

Approaching 300km on the bike since the start of the year. Weather has been kind but today was a hard, cold wet and strong wind 23km slog. They say that winter miles will count double in your legs by the time summer arrives!

Forecast is snow tonight so my fortitude could be tested tomorrow :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Road bike? The idea of riding in snow scares me a bit…

Yes I do most of my riding on the road. I’m really keen to log the miles to help with my goals later on this year but having been caught out in the snow and ice before the risks just aren’t worth taking so it scares me too. A day or two rest never does anyone any harm and an injury now would be pretty silly.

2 Likes

Heh, adorable! :smiley:

2 Likes

Finally feeling well enough to start this process…a 2-week battle with a mild case of bronchitis… Going to start slow with 30 minutes on the stationary bike. Also switching over to a very low carb diet (goodbye Shiner Bock…we will meet again in 40 pounds…).

3 Likes

Nice!

Do any of the cyclists here have any experience with using training stands for road bikes? Beach has made me wonder about those now.

1 Like

I have a Tacx indoor trainer set up in my garage, my limit is about 30 minutes and after that either I’m so hot it’s unbearable or it’s so boring it’s … unbearable. Mine is programmable to imitate hills and descents so that can keep you interested but I find nothing can beat being outside even in crappy weather like I had today.

2 Likes

Ha, I just thought about posting something like this because I startet commuting by bike in spring last year and I haven’t used the train or the car since September last year. The shortest route is 25,5km (51km round trip) on a direct route via a ferry or ~28.5km (57km round trip) via the brigde but my fitness has reached a level where I regulary take detours to extend my rides a bit. I joined Strava in late October and clocked well over 3000km since then. I’m already up to 555km this year :smiley:

This afternoon I was fighting a nasty headwind in a race against an incoming bad weather front. Looking out the window right now I’d say it was rather successful even though I didn’t quite manage to stay out of the rain:

5 Likes

I am not going to call myself a ‘cyclist’ but maybe a recreational road two wheeler :-). I have one of the simpler ones - not programmable as @Camembert has and it works well … except for the boredom part as @Camembert notes. I tend to have my table nearby with Netflix on it but I prefer outdoor cycling … which doesn’t work in Atlantic Canada!

2 Likes

Riding into the wind always makes me think I’m struggling with the North Face of the Eiger or something. It feels so wrong, like I need a motor or something :slight_smile:

3000km is good stuff @Derbysieger.

My wife loves her wii-fit tracker thing, in that gathering stats is addictive. It gives out outfits ‘You’ve done the Appalachian Trail!’ t-shirts/hats based on km covered and meters up/down. It’s all rather pre-Fitbit era but I can see the appeal. Really helps goal set etc.

3 Likes

I’ve got a Garmin Edge 810 and my wife can live track me as I trundle around. It’s really handy in weather like I had today because she gets a bit worried when I’m out so is happy to see her blue dot progressing around the map. She can tell me if I had to stop for a puncture and all sorts of things lol. But the best was today when she had a cup of tea waiting for me as I got home :slight_smile:

4 Likes