2017 Health & Fitness thread

221.6 lbs! w00t!

4 Likes

Keep in mind, going completely carb-free is a really bad idea. Your body needs them to perform normal chemical reactions. If there aren’t any, it’s true, your body starts reaching for fat to supply energy.

But, that’s not really all that efficient and can lead to some health issues. Ideally, your body needs 50% of its diet to be carbs, 25% proteins, and 25% fats and oils. The key is the amount you intake. If you can choke it down to 1,500kcal intake a day, you’re rocking it pretty hard. If you want more, you have to earn them.

@Maico, we are almost identical in size, age, stature, and activity, and we also packed on the extra pounds for the same reason. I was at 183, and all I did was cut my intake down to 1,500Cal/day and get a Garmin activity bracelet. Started just by walking. I started in April and by October, I was down 30 pounds. The holidays put six back on, but I’m determined to lose them. At our age, we might want to avoid running. I live near a lake, so I substituted swimming. I cycle when I can, usually once or twice a week.

And fellas, can’t stress it enough, get the SWMBO involved. If she’s in it, you’re both more motivated.

2 Likes

Oh dear…
I just put new batteries into my scales to have my starting value for this year.

I have 98kg it seems. 216 lbs if I did the math correctly. If I was an athletic guy that would be pretty OK but the truth is I am not that type of guy.
So time to get rid of those kgs.

1 Like

Holy crap how much do you need to eat to put that one?! I literally stuffed my face with food over the holidays and obliterated any dish or treat that came along and my weight hasn’t fluctuated a single bit…

I’ve been 66kg for a good month and a half steady now, or 145.5 pounds in imperial measurements. Then again I’ve never suffered weight swings in my life no matter how little or how much I’ve ate, so perhaps I am not a good measure of health in that regard anyway.

I used to be the same!
I was an extremely skinny guy, 62 kg, up until when I was 19, despite eating as much as I wanted/could. Then I went to the military and gained 20kg of weight by doing lots of sports, suddenly muscles everywhere. After my military time and my studies I damaged my knee, slowly stopped doing sports and got a job in which I only sit, added to my hobbies in which I only sit, and got a wife that likes cooking as much as I do, and THAT was when I started to get fat.
Well, actually I started getting lighter first, muscles are quite heavy. Then I gained 10 kg.
Now I am pretty stable at just around 95kg, 3-4 give or take. I don’t get fatter it seems despite doing nothing but I am not exactly healthy or content with that state.
I want to get those 85 kg again. 80 would be even better but that’s more of a dream than everything else.

1 Like

Interesting, well I am 27 now and I’ve done very active and very sedentary jobs and neither seems to have impacted my weight significantly(muscle mass has been changed though). I think at my top weight I was 70/72kg. And that took 3 years to accumulate. So for me those quick weight changes are a bit alien.

It’s easy. I’m in my forties. And, yeah, in two months, if you’re not getting the exercise you should (which I wasn’t), you can gain six pounds.

1 Like

(Days Since Last Workout: 9) :frowning:

Time to get back on the horse, or at least find a vaguely horse shaped object and know its general location.

3 Likes

Today I grabbed my rope and jumped a bit.
Got a bit rusty in the technique so it took a bit longer.
First I tried my old beginner technique of doing one bigger and one smaller jump with each revolution of the rope, at a bit less than 60 RPM.
Then after some getting used to it I switched to one jump per revolution, at a bit more than 60 RPM.
I jumped until I had 1000 on the counter, and then 24 more to get a nice even number.
Of course I couldn’t do more than 50 to 70 in a row. My lungs and heart were OK but my feet needed some rest.
So I did some plank exercise in between to keep my pulse up. The exercise goes this way: forearm plank, then lift one arm and one leg (Right arm left leg and vice versa) to the horizontal, do that 16-32 times and then do the same with the other leg and other arm.

Everything together took an hour and I felt pretty OK afterwards, simular to running a few km.

I will see how that works. Probably won’t do it in that length every day, I don’t want to overdo it. I’ll probably increase intensity and decrease time. Dunno.

4 Likes

I struggled with the lid of a Nutella jar for a good two minutes last night, practically broke into a sweat. Had to go through my cool-down routine. Don’t want all that lactic acid pooling up in my fat muscles - I have grown a bit lactic intolerant as I got older.

I’m sure that strenuous activity more than compensated for a measly few scoops of palm oil and sugar, amirite?

On a serious note, The Wife is also doing health/fitness stuff, although she’s attacking from the viewpoint that you never see rabbits running around Walmart on Rascals, so we’ve been eating lots of green stuff. The kids hate it, Daddy hates it, and I suspect The Wife hates it, but I have rediscovered my love of kiwis. My intestines, however, reminded me why we don’t eat more than three in a sitting.

The Wife’s gourmetic adventures have also allowed me to discover my body doesn’t like nuts - almonds, cashews, etc. No anaphylactic shock, just tummy issues, but it was rather a shock to find my body reacting so rudely to foods I know I used to eat and love.

Eating healthy can be a challenge, but having to deal with dietary constraints is a real chore.

9 Likes

See, this is why my “stuff it,cry and run” method feels a lot more efficient!:wink:

2 Likes

It is simple, really. If it tastes good, spit it out.

4 Likes

Got back to bouldering yesterday after roughly 2 months of shoulder injury related absence.

I was unsure at first whether my shoulder was stable enough but it turned out quite well, no pain while climbing, just minor discomfort on some reachy moves. It definately feels good getting some workout again, i’ve had bad issues since christmas with headaches and tensioning of my upper back and neck muscles due to me sitting all day at a computer during work.

6 Likes

Well, food of course is the other part of the input/output equation.
If someone has time and energy to do enough sports, maybe even likes working out, he can basically eat everything he wants.

I went kiiinda low carb these days, often substituting salad or vegetables into my meals where normally there would be noodles, potatoes or rice. The good thing is I actually like vegetables and salad.
Problem is: If you hardly burn calories at all due to no activity all day it is very hard to get the daily calories balance into the minus.
I eat neither breakfast nor supper quite often and still gain weight. So increasing the output is my only real choice. I just cannot eat less and still be usable.

For most people I think it may actually be easier to reduce input instead of increasing output though, because not eating a Big Mac is easier than running six miles to compensate.

Yeah but eating healthy alone doesn’t make you perfectly healthy if you’re a couch potato. The body needs a certain amount of exercise to work well, and as you age that amount increases.

6 Likes

Absolutely!
Especially if you consider that losing weight doesn’t necessarily mean being healthy.
So while the formula “input < output = losing weight” may be correct it does NOT mean that you are more healthy afterwards. There are lots of slim but unhealthy people.

1 Like

Walking is really the easiest method to increase health in many regards without stressing the body. It will do your joints, your muscles, your bone tissue, your heart a ton of good without stressing out anything. The calorie burn is a little lower then running the same distance but it’s still quite sufficient.

The only negative is the time sink it takes when you are willing to walk distances. But putting on some music or a podcast can be very relaxing!

1 Like

I’m gaming while I walk…

4 Likes

I hope you’re not using one of them lame trainer’s that stick your W key, cause that don’t count. :grinning:

1 Like

It would be so cool if there were good augmented reality devices.
Imagine walking/running over the surface of Mars or something, instead of your boring route you see every day…