2nd Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight AAR Thread

Just saw the news about the crash in Medellin last week. Didnt realise they crashed on the approach that I flew. It’s a special one that I would recommend trying if you are bored. Especially if there is a cloud layer at the mountain tops. Thing is, there’s a fully ILS equipped airfield 45 minutes away(by car)… @BeachAV8R consider making a stop in Medellin on your route!

3 Likes

Alright I believe I’ve got my prospective flight plan. Now it’s just a matter of cowboying up and flying the thing.

2 Likes

Interesting route @near_blind. Non-stop after Easter Island?

I am thinking of McMurdo too. I figure I’ll hop over to San Diego for a fuel stop, then hop over to Kona. Then down to Christchurch New Zealand where the US Antarctic Program has a base. I can either hand off the packages to them or if time permits, press on to McMurdo.

It’s a lot of flying over featureless ocean though.

2 Likes

Close, but not exactly, no.

1 Like

Hey, some of us like the gory details!

You could always use the details tag to do this... Flight ID: BAS249 Flight Type: Normal Pilot: Cygon Company: BAS Aircraft: Aerosoft DHC-6 Series 300.3B-T British Antar Flight Date: November 29 2016 Departure: 13h41 (18h42 GMT) Arrival: 15h04 (20h05 GMT) From: SEQM To: SEGU - Simon Bolivar Intl - Ecuador Planned flight time: 01h25 (real flight time 01h23) Nbr of Passengers: 14

Report:

Flight Distance: 152 Nm Landing Speed: 62.96 kt
Time Airborne: 01h20:41 Landing Touchdown: -356.92 ft/m
Flight Time (block): 01h23:23 Landing Pitch: 4.05°
Time On Ground: 00h07:15 Landing Weight: 10793 lbs
Average Speed: 113.18 kt Total Fuel Used: 499 lbs
Climb Time: 00h04:34 Climb Fuel Used: 51 lbs
Cruise Time: 01h01:35 Cruise Fuel Used: 398 lbs
Average Cruise Speed: 153.39 kt (M0.23) Cruise fuel/hour: 387 lbs (calc)
Descent Time: 00h14:32 Descent Fuel Used: 49 lbs

Passenger Opinion: Exceptional flight (100%)
-Are pleased to have landed right on schedule.
-Are relieved to have landed safely after the extreme weather they experienced during landing.

Financial Report:

Ticket Income: +$1,184 (152 Nm)
Cargo Income: +$51 (134 lbs)
Services Income: +$0 (0 sandwich, 0 hot food, 0 drink service rounds)
Services Cost: -$0 (20% quality)
Fuel Cost: -$291 (499 lbs Jet-A1)
Airport Taxes: -$5 (Small Aircraft)
Insurance Costs: -$53 (4.32% rate)
_Total Real Income: $886 _
_Total Income: $44,300 (real x50) _
Fleet Bonus: $0 (0 aircraft)
Total Sim Income: $44,300 (total income+fleet bonus)

Company Reputation:

Considering that the flight was perfect, the tickets price low, passengers on this flight think that your company’s reputation should be 100%
Your company reputation is now: 68.18% (+3.18 increase)

Overall Flight Result: Perfect

Pilot Bonus points: 380 points
Perfect Flight, no problems, and very satisfied passengers. (+150)
You landed at the scheduled airport. (+30)
Precise arrival time at destination.(00h01:37 difference) (+100)
Extreme weather conditions during approach, but a safe landing with satisfied passengers. (+100)

Pilot’s Penalty points: -250 points
You had the wrong altimeter setting on landing, this has been a major cause of controlled flight into terrain in the past. (-250)

<details><summary>Spoiler Title</summary>Spoiler Contents</details>

2 Likes

Next flightplan for the CIVA all figured out. I like to keep skyvector open and double check my coordinates when possible.

WPT		N		W
    1		05599	75485 DABID
    2		05412	76383 UIB(113.20)
    3		05046	76406 TEDUL
    4		04149	76536 ASIKO
    5		03594	76570 RENAV
    6		02345	77537 GPI(309.00)
    7		01489	78448 TCO(114.00)
    8		00584	79377 AKNIG/ESV(115.70)
    WPT		S		W
    9		00383	80300 ATOVI

Let’s hope the 727 fuel balance issues won’t arise this time.

1 Like

Goodbye Medellin! This hill at the end looks… dodgy.

okay so I failed to check the departure route, and soon realized I might not cross a mountain ridge. At this point my Air Crash Investigation interests took over and I opted to see how the aircraft would warn me for the incoming impact, and how long I would have to intervene. CFIT with mountains and low clouds(2700ft above the valley floor) is a tragedy that has happened way too often. Very interesting to run through such a scenario in a simulator. It’s easy to see how a moment of unawareness and dependency on automation can get you killed IRL.

The aircraft GPWS started bawling about gears, flaps and terrain, for obvious reasons.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how the 727 was certified and what the Part 121 (U.S.) requirements are for obstacle clearance performance…but that would be the kind of scenario under the rules that I fly under (Part 135) where you’d have to meet the single engine climb gradient (for a two engine aircraft) published on the departure procedure. I’m not sure what the elevation of Medellin is, nor do I know the SID climb gradient (or temperature)…but that would probably be one where I’d have to get in the books (so to speak) and figure out if I need to depart early (when it’s cooler) or offload fuel or gifts…LOL…(I’ve had a First Officer I’d like to leave behind a time or two as well…)

These days all of that is made easier with an iPad app called APG which takes all the inputs (aircraft weight, fuel, load, winds, temperature, runway slope, SID requirements) and it outputs maximum takeoff weights, speeds, and will even come up with a custom SID for obstacle clearance that is different than the published SID. APG is the mutts nuts and saves 30 minutes worth of flipping around the AFM trying to remember how to use all the charts.

BeachAV8R

3 Likes

I chose my plane: the X-Plane default Boeing 737, now I have to choose my route.

I made a skyvector account and planned my legs:
EHAM → GGOV → SBGL → SCRM

From Amsterdam, I’m flying to the beautiful little country of Guinea-Bissau (I heard a documentary about this on a podcast once, and it is almost exactly the right direction towards my final destination),
then onto Rio, and the final leg gets me to the Chilean base. I was encouraged by the picture of an Airbus A380 landing that Google Maps showed me, not so sure how good the plan is after watching this video:

So this is the first time I am semi-seriously flying X-Plane, and this was the first time I’ve used Skyvector. I can use the INS/GPS to fly to any coordinates I like, so no need to think about nav beacons. I guess next up is figuring out the Boeing 737 and the approach at GGOV.

4 Likes

So I’ve done a little more testing with the 727, unfortunately it’s bugged for me, engine 1 and 2 both feed from tank 1 and tank 1 only. The position of the crossfeed switches seems to no effect except when I turn them all to the closed position when starting the engines. If I start with a hot and running plane it will be bugged in the way described. It also means that when tank 1 is empty both engine 1 and 2 die. Engine 3 seems to ignore it’s own tank and run from tank 2… FJS is a rather… absent developer unfortunately.

That is discouraging. I’m starting to wonder if I’m going to have to settle on a dual XP10/11 install. That would suck… I’m hopeful that developers will start to address XP11 fixes once XP11 moves out of beta. We’ll see… I’m not really keen to buy airplanes over again.

1 Like

It would be nice if the stores that sell these aircraft kept up some sort of QC, no manual, fuel tank bugs, hardly any support. It’s rather discouraging buying anything without a very thorough look at how active the support forums are. I would guess FJS is just going to do a singular update for XP11 and then charge 20 bucks all over again if you have the XP10 version.

Indeed. I’m a big fan of the .ORG store simply because their customer service is very good (I’ve had them issue me refunds and gotten the reply e-mail in an hour or two) and they have pretty good sales. It would be nice if they had a rating and comment section for each add-on that would allow you to see what kind of support and quality you are signing up for.

There are some products in the store that absolutely should be removed (the add-on HUD products for instance). I have a pretty long list of aircraft that I would like to be able to use in XP11. I don’t necessarily mind paying $5 or $10 for some to be updated if it is truly a big project, but if it is just a matter of fixing a couple lines of code…then I’d be pretty upset. I’m taking a wait and see attitude at this point. It is pretty early in the XP11 game.

On the other hand, it’s a good way to thin the herd HA HA.

Well, there’s that. Smaller hangar - cheaper rent…!

Man…if only one of us had gotten there earlier…we could have helped Buzz Aldrin get to the hospital…!

1 Like

You’ll fit right in here. :thumbsup:

1 Like

“Behold, as a wild ass in the desert, go I forth to my work.”

• Frank Herbert’s character Gurney Halleck in Dune (1984)

With trepidation and a load of bon-bons, we wallow out to the active runway at KOCF Ocala…

Keepin’ it low 'n slow following State Road 200 to the southwest…

Forty minutes later, we’re crossing the numbers at KTPA Tampa…

A long way to go, but not as far as when we started…

5 Likes

The devil you know…

After all my woes with the 727 Fuel System that just doesn’t operate in any logical way as far as I can tell… Well what can you do? Back to the 732!

Climbing out of Medellin for a short hop down south!

Also I am posting too much here :frowning: Can someone also do a few AAR flights? :wink:

5 Likes

So what Twin Otter is that exactly? Looks like a wonderfully fun flight!

1 Like