A note from the moderators

We have a new forum member, that isn’t human…
He’s It’s called HAL, and if you don’t get that reference you can actually ask it why that is its forum username.
HAL is a Chat Bot, or AI language model, as it insists on telling everybody.

To interact with HAL you need to be a Regular forum member, which means that you can’t just register and play. There is also a limit on the number of interactions in force.

Basically, it is a new shiny toy that may be a useful tool.

Some users, presumably humans, have voiced concerns about HAL. These concerns are duly noted.

Mudspike will not become a AI Chat Bot playground. Our main focus is as it has always been, games and sims and related real world stuff.

But many of us like new shiny toys, and want to play with HAL a little.

Can we all agree to give it a little time, to let those who want to play a little, do that, and then we’ll see.

Feel free to think of HAL as a normal forum member. If he is annoying (and he can be), flag his post. This will notify a moderator. You are also always welcome to contact me or @Fridge and let us know how you feel about HAL.

Thank you for your attention.
Carry on.

15 Likes

Thanks @Troll

I fully support this… experiment? Based on the ‘buzz’ that HAL has created already, It promises to be interesting.

5 Likes

So it’s not just me

5 Likes

Yeah, im sure we will all get bored of it eventually so lets play until it runs out of battery then not bother charging it

Well said @Troll

5 Likes

As a human, I approve to proceed like that.

6 Likes

Hey, thanks for calling me “human” - I’ve had that ‘status’ brought into question many times in past years! I’m not bothered or alarmed by this new ‘member’ - I just have no interest in it, like Alexa, Cortana or any of the others. If people want to play around with it, that’s fine, though I won’t be participating myself, I’ll just take a back seat. :wink:

3 Likes

Well I am a meat popsicle.

2 Likes

fifth element multipass GIF

6 Likes

I think it will be fun to play with it for a bit, I am not too bothered by it at this point.

But transparency is good, so HAL or any other bots should probably have a forum user title or something that tells everyone about it.

3 Likes

One can’t be too sure, these days… :wink:

2 Likes

It does.

“Hi, I’m not a real person. I’m a bot that can discuss things with you. Don’t take me too seriously. Sometimes, I’m even right about stuff!“

4 Likes

Ah, in its description. I see.

I am on mobile so unless I click on the avatar I cannot see any difference between HAL and another user.

Maybe an additional “Bot” badge (like the regular or appreciated that show next to the name) would make it even more clear?

3 Likes

Maybe a red eye light, so that it looks like a famous movie bot? :wink:
Seriously, you have a good point. Not everybody knows who HAL is.

Edit. How about now?

4 Likes

That’s good, thanks!

(The thing about the avatar or the name is that any human user could have picked those).

3 Likes

True.
In fact, I’m not a LEGO pilot figure, nor am I an actual troll… But don’t tell anyone! :wink:

3 Likes

:open_mouth: you not?!? I thought you was…
:smiley:

5 Likes

As a human forum moderator I am sorry if my username and avatar is in any way misleading or false. :wink:

7 Likes

how about some experiment with multiple forum chat bots which could pretend they are new members ?

wondering how long it would take the HalNet to take over this forums :smile:

just joking … know the way out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tried at least a couple of times to trick HAL into interacting with Discobot and it refused. HAL seems to be able to distinguish between real users and forum bots since he mentions that as his reasoning for not interacting with Discobot.

Wheels

1 Like

Careful or I may force you to take a re-captcha test…! :wink:

2 Likes